Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:59 pm 
Bruce Doull

mjonc wrote:
Anyone take any odds on Whitnall for the Brownlow? Fatboy Slim is back in town, and as Quarters said, Carlton would definately ask for a first round pick plus more :D

I was wondering this myself after last night's game. He'd be well worth putting a couple of bucks on just in case he carries his form through, you'd get a pretty good price I'd imagine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:07 pm 
Craig Bradley

camelboy wrote:
Jarusa wrote:
It is great to be in a sem-eye final again even if it is the Harry Potter cup.

A few of us should catch up with each other next weekend I reckon

That would be great. I'll be making the short stroll (well, not really) over from Albert Park.

I'm guessing the game will be 7:40pm Saturday night?

where are you staying mate?

my father and i usually walk to the ground from The Palmerston Hotel (i work down the road there) if you want to meet at the pub let me know and you can join us then we can head to the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:37 pm 
Rod Ashman

The stoppages are a bit of a worry but then we didn't have Kouta in there and we dropped Johnson who generally does well in that area. Still it was frustrating to watch at times.

I think if we're honest, at times during the first half we were outplayed but Melbourne's wastefulness contrasted to our relative efficiency allowed us to maintain some sort of buffer. Melbourne let us off the hook several times and we won't always be so lucky. Having said that, they were on top of the comp with four rounds to go last season and are probably still better than we are so it's nothing to be ashamed of.

The umpires are terrible and probably getting worse. We were denied two obvious 9-point supergoals by umpire incompetence and in the last quarter it was like 18 vs. 21. Melbourne certainly stepped up their play but the quarter reminded me of the Richmond match from last year, where in the third quarter Richmond received something like 15 free kicks to 3 which played a large part in allowing them back into the match.

I was impressed that we were able to hold on in the face of a fierce onslaught that I could see coming at three quarter time. Two years ago at Optus Oval we played a similar sort of match with Melbourne and were overrun in similar circumstances at the end. This side at least seems to have some resilience about it and when it gets close you'd generally back us. Lance had another terrific match and took some telling marks in defence in the last quarter which helped greatly.

Overall I'm stoked because we beat a pretty good side out there. Melbourne was missing Rivers and Nicholson and there you have your matchups for Lance and Fevola. However we were missing Kouta, Campo, Morrell, De Luca and Fisher, at least 4 of whom would make Carlton's best 22 every week. We had a little bit of luck with their inaccuracy but this was leveled out probably by the men in orange.

Western Bulldogs next week and to be honest, if we don't win that then I'll be very disappointed. Nothing against the Bulldogs at all and they look an improved side but we'd have to be favourites. If Fev and Lance play well again then we'll win but I can see a big flood from the Doggies who will make it hard for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:47 pm 
Garry Crane

Blue Bird wrote:
Thornton was incredibly impressive last night. Cool and always able to get the team out of trouble even when he was put under pressure by a team-mate.

Seems to be a natural Centre Half Back, great disposal into the forward line. Hope Livo can hold down Full Back.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:44 pm 
Garry Crane

Well done Blues.
I actually felt the Dees were pretty good too, so it was no shame to win by 10 points. In reality Dees should have been closer at 3/4 time.
Agree with others tho that when ever they gopt close we always seem to pull out a bit extra which is a terrific sign for us.
Fitnall and Fev were bloody unreal. Some of Fev's marks on the lead at full pace were amazing! If Lance can keep it going we are gonna scare the crap outta a lot of opposing backlines this year.
*keep the lid on....*
Did the Irishman do much? Was Carazzo 44? (I am terrible with the numbers!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:25 pm 
Bruce Comben

Went to yesterdays game with a couple of my Melbourne supporting friends and another mate who goes for St. Kilda. If anyone was sitting sort of near the interchange bench they might have noticed me going a tad crazy, I was in the Orange top with the Carlton heritage jersey on top. All my friends got a good laugh out of it.

But onto the game. Lance has played really well and considering he spent a bit of time in defence 4 goals is very good from him. I think he's now taken 28 marks in the Wizard Cup. The thing I've really noticed improve in our forward line this year is the defencesive aspect like the chasing that we hardly saw last year especially from Fev and Whitts. Been a big fan of Thornton for a while and I think this could be a big year for him if Livo can hold down Full-Back. Do people think Diggers will still make the starting line-up if Livo holds down FB and Thornton at CHB? Been really impressed with Callum Chambers in our opening two matches. He has provided that midfield avenue to goal that we have sometimes been missing over the last few years and he definitely has the fitness to run out games.

Saw Prenda coming off the ground in the last quater and he looked in pain. Does anyone know if there's anything wrong with him?

Definitely believe the new ruck rules will help us this season but I'm still not sure if I like them especially when the umpires can't bounce the ball straight.

Overall okay game but still areas we can improve on and hopefully now it's just onwards and upwards for Carlton and TalkingCarlton.

Really hope we beat the Dogs this week because it would be fantastic to see us in the final of a competition even if it is the Wok and I think it would help to build membership too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:00 pm 
Robert Walls

Gee, Whitnall played well, 15 makrs 4 goals and over 20 possies. And too think we were going to get rid of him, i would have cried to see him play this well for another club. But there is along way to go, keep it up Lance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:09 am 
Harry Vallence

did setanta get a run in this game or was he playing in that pracrrice VFL one?

skip this question - have found out in the Bullants section

Up the Rebels All-Ireland Hurling Champions 2004/2005