Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:44 pm 
www.blueseum.org

A little bit more context:

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php? ... ing%20List

On our current list, only 4 Blues have averaged a goal a game (or better) throughout their careers to this stage; Fisher, Betts, Waite and Garlett.

From the Blueseum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:48 am 
www.blueseum.org

4 rounds in and we have the following (recognising some have played only 1 game):

Jeff Garlett - 3.0
Setanta - 2.5
Yarran - 1.75
Eddie Betts, Simpson - 1.5
Henderson - 1.25
Houlihan, Judd, Waite - 1

From the Blueseum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The Blueseum wrote:
4 rounds in and we have the following (recognising some have played only 1 game):

Jeff Garlett - 3.0
Setanta - 2.5
Yarran - 1.75
Eddie Betts, Simpson - 1.5
Henderson - 1.25
Houlihan, Judd, Waite - 1

From the Blueseum

Nice one.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:08 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
The Blueseum wrote:
Nick Riewoldt 78
 Justin Koschitzke 48
 Stephen Milne 46
 Adam Schneider 34
 Andrew McQualter 22
 Nick Dal Santo 16
 Brendon Goddard 15
 Jason Gram 12

Cameron Mooney 46
 Steve Johnson 40
 Paul Chapman 37
 Tom Hawkins 34
 Shannon Byrnes 32
 Mathew Stokes 29
 Gary Ablett 27
 Max Rooke 24

Just for reference - 2009's better teams were perceived as being better defensive units by some way but still outscored our top 8 (if as per Bondiblue's post that is indeed the right metric).

From the Blueseum

WOW, that was quick. Thanks for the info.

I have no doubt that defensive pressure whether its from the back six, midfield or forwardline determines what score needs to be kicked to win. As Ratts said in his recent 1 on 1 interview, the less points we have kicked against us, the less goals we need to kick to get over the line.

The KPI's show that we have improved in both areas points for and against, so the trend is in the right direction. Fev really had nothing to do with the defensive improvement, but he did on the scores for.

It's obvious from the examples from the incomparable Bluseum that the spread of goal kickers to be up there is an obvious prerequisite for success, but also the avearage across the top 8 is much higher than I anticipated. Looking at Geelongs spread is what I would consider as our goal, whereas the more defensive StKilda have a reliance from there top 3 goalkickers to get them over the line. StKilda also created a VFL/AFL record for the lowest score against in a season, so that should also be factored in the equation.

Will we see something like the above 2 from Carlton in 2010?

1st Geelong: 46, 40, 37, 32, 29, 27, 24 = 269
2nd Saints : 78, 48, 46, 34, 22, 16, 15, 12 = 271

Give me Geelong's spread anyday (their forwards seem to have done their job across the board)

46 (Mooney)...CHF..Waite
40 (Johnson)...HF...Walker
37 (Chapman)..FP...Betts
34 (Hawkins)...FF...Henderson
32 (Byrnes).....FP...Setanta
29 (Stokes)....HF...Kreuzer
27 (Ablett).....M....Murphy
24 (Rooke).....HF...Judd

Interesting exercise. I tried to pick the most obvious goalkickers for Carlton and it seems I've found 5 talls, 2 more talls than Geelong use in their orwardline.
Sydney Blue said yesterday, we need lots of runners and avoid being too top heavy. He suggested that we don't play more than 2 talls in the forwardline. There's credence in that, but then again a horsed for courses policy should also be considered to suit the ground, weather or to stretch the opposition whilst not jeopardising balance.

I think it dependes on how often, and how we bring the ball into our forwardline, and what tactics we use to free up options. I'm sure we had more forward 50 entries than Geelong in 2009, so the supply should cntinue to be there in 2010 without Fev.

We really need to get the balance right. Perhaps players to be considered in our forwardline to create more balance will be the likes of Houlihan, Yarran, Robinson, Gibbs, Garlett and Simpson. Question is, can we extract more than 24 goals a piece from those guys? I think we can.

Lots of work to be done over the preseason. As Blue Vain once said drills drills and more drills will give the players confidence in what they are doing when they have and haven't got the ball.

In all the quoted historical top 8's there are at most 2 "tall fwds" in each team's top 8.
Kouta was a tall mid who drifted fwd, which made him dangerous but he was not a dedicated tall fwd at the time.

To have Waite, Hendo, Setanta and MK in our top 8 goalkickers seems to go against how fwd structures have worked over recent times.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:43 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

get rid of the hacks wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
The Blueseum wrote:
Nick Riewoldt 78
 Justin Koschitzke 48
 Stephen Milne 46
 Adam Schneider 34
 Andrew McQualter 22
 Nick Dal Santo 16
 Brendon Goddard 15
 Jason Gram 12

Cameron Mooney 46
 Steve Johnson 40
 Paul Chapman 37
 Tom Hawkins 34
 Shannon Byrnes 32
 Mathew Stokes 29
 Gary Ablett 27
 Max Rooke 24

Just for reference - 2009's better teams were perceived as being better defensive units by some way but still outscored our top 8 (if as per Bondiblue's post that is indeed the right metric).

From the Blueseum

WOW, that was quick. Thanks for the info.

I have no doubt that defensive pressure whether its from the back six, midfield or forwardline determines what score needs to be kicked to win. As Ratts said in his recent 1 on 1 interview, the less points we have kicked against us, the less goals we need to kick to get over the line.

The KPI's show that we have improved in both areas points for and against, so the trend is in the right direction. Fev really had nothing to do with the defensive improvement, but he did on the scores for.

It's obvious from the examples from the incomparable Bluseum that the spread of goal kickers to be up there is an obvious prerequisite for success, but also the avearage across the top 8 is much higher than I anticipated. Looking at Geelongs spread is what I would consider as our goal, whereas the more defensive StKilda have a reliance from there top 3 goalkickers to get them over the line. StKilda also created a VFL/AFL record for the lowest score against in a season, so that should also be factored in the equation.

Will we see something like the above 2 from Carlton in 2010?

1st Geelong: 46, 40, 37, 32, 29, 27, 24 = 269
2nd Saints : 78, 48, 46, 34, 22, 16, 15, 12 = 271

Give me Geelong's spread anyday (their forwards seem to have done their job across the board)

46 (Mooney)...CHF..Waite
40 (Johnson)...HF...Walker
37 (Chapman)..FP...Betts
34 (Hawkins)...FF...Henderson
32 (Byrnes).....FP...Setanta
29 (Stokes)....HF...Kreuzer
27 (Ablett).....M....Murphy
24 (Rooke).....HF...Judd

Interesting exercise. I tried to pick the most obvious goalkickers for Carlton and it seems I've found 5 talls, 2 more talls than Geelong use in their orwardline.
Sydney Blue said yesterday, we need lots of runners and avoid being too top heavy. He suggested that we don't play more than 2 talls in the forwardline. There's credence in that, but then again a horsed for courses policy should also be considered to suit the ground, weather or to stretch the opposition whilst not jeopardising balance.

I think it dependes on how often, and how we bring the ball into our forwardline, and what tactics we use to free up options. I'm sure we had more forward 50 entries than Geelong in 2009, so the supply should cntinue to be there in 2010 without Fev.

We really need to get the balance right. Perhaps players to be considered in our forwardline to create more balance will be the likes of Houlihan, Yarran, Robinson, Gibbs, Garlett and Simpson. Question is, can we extract more than 24 goals a piece from those guys? I think we can.

Lots of work to be done over the preseason. As Blue Vain once said drills drills and more drills will give the players confidence in what they are doing when they have and haven't got the ball.

In all the quoted historical top 8's there are at most 2 "tall fwds" in each team's top 8.
Kouta was a tall mid who drifted fwd, which made him dangerous but he was not a dedicated tall fwd at the time.

To have Waite, Hendo, Setanta and MK in our top 8 goalkickers seems to go against how fwd structures have worked over recent times.

Valid points groth.

Then the paradigm should probably read Tall mids rather than KP Fwd for Waite and Kreuzer (when Waite gets back to his best).

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:53 am 
www.blueseum.org

As at Round 7 2010:

Garlett - 2.75 goals a game (11/4)
Setanta - 2.57 goals a game (18/7)
Betts - 2.29 goals a game (16/7)
Waite - 1.75 goals a game (7/4)
Yarran - 1.71 goals a game (12/7)
Murphy - 1.29 goals a game (9/7)
Houlihan - 1.14 goals a game (8/7)

That's 13 1/2 goals a game from 7 players.

From the Blueseum

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:42 am 
Geoff Southby

The only talls popping up in our leading goal kickers are Waite and Setanta.

I like the structure of 2 talls in our forward line, with the 3 aboriginal boys and Houla. Sides will try and throw us out, so its up to us to have ready to go plans B & C. For example swapping White and Hendo in the Collingwood game was a very good move.

Hendo will be back, its possible he and Waite could play the role of swingmen and switch around depending on the situation.

Our current setup is very hard for anyone to stop if we are winning the ball in the middle and putting on great pressure.

As good as Fev was at his best, if he had one of his didn't feel like playing sulky games, we couldn't play him anywhere else. Even if Setanta can't find the footy we could always chuck him into defence or even the ruck for 5 minutes to change things up.

Flexibility (with a healthy amount of talent) is key.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:36 am 
Robert Walls

Current running rate on goal kicking for the full year looks like:
Setanta = 54
Betts = 50
Yarran = 38
Garlett = 35
Murphy = 28
Houlihan = 25
...Waite perhaps 30 +

exactly the sort of spread that leads to success. Give it to me any day vs Fev.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:11 pm 
Craig Bradley

london blue wrote:
Current running rate on goal kicking for the full year looks like:
Setanta = 54
Betts = 50
Yarran = 38
Garlett = 35
Murphy = 28
Houlihan = 25
...Waite perhaps 30 +

exactly the sort of spread that leads to success. Give it to me any day vs Fev.

That would be a wonderful result.

Would also like to see Judd, Gibbs and Kreuzer get 20 goals +.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:08 pm 
www.blueseum.org

At the half way mark we have 7 Blues in double figures for goals:

* Setanta - 24 from 11
* Eddie - 19 from 11
* Yarran - 14 from 9
* Houlihan - 14 from 9
* Jeff - 14 from 8
* Murphy - 11 from 11
* Waite - 12 from 6

From the Blueseum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:49 am 
Harry Vallence

molsey wrote:
Another point worth noting:

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php? ... aying+List

The players that we've lost in the forward line bar Fev didn't add much at the end of the day:

Hartlett, 3 games, 0 goals
Edwards, Nil
Stevens, 17 games, 12 goals
Bentick, Nil
bentley, 5 games, 2 goals
Bannister, 2 games, 2 goals

Fevola, 23 games, 89 goals

Add to this the injuries / likely forward spots for improvement:

Setanta 12 games, 12 goals in 2009
Waite 9 games, 10 goals
Walker, 6 / 2

+ Garlett, Yarran playing more football in 2010...

geez I miss Bentley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
All of a sudden Houlihan is being touted as one of the potential saviours down forward. Interesting that only a very few posters have consistently had him in thrir best 22 for about three years.

Yes...and he will kick more than 25 goals this season..and will definately be in that top 10 goalkickers list. :smile:
I don't write this just because he is a dolphin either.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:00 am 
Bert Deacon

A number of interesting and well thought out posts in this thread. Very enjoyable :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:48 pm 
www.blueseum.org

Well at the end of the H&A we almost had our 6 Blues with 20 goals or more; our 6th player being Yarran with 19:

Betts 42
Garlett 37
Waite 33
Setanta 26 (noting however he hasnt been preferred in the seniors for some time)
Henderson 23
Yarran 19

And just outside:
Murphy 18
Simpson 17
(Judd 14)

From the Blueseum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

The Blueseum wrote:
Well at the end of the H&A we almost had our 6 Blues with 20 goals or more; our 6th player being Yarran with 19:

Betts 42
Garlett 37
Waite 33
Setanta 26 (noting however he hasnt been preferred in the seniors for some time)
Henderson 23
Yarran 19

And just outside:
Murphy 18
Simpson 17
(Judd 14)

From the Blueseum

Pretty decent effort. Would have been nice to see a couple of those midfielders hit 20.
Also one of our ruckman as well.
And if we could get our 2 key forwards into the 40s, I think that would be about perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:41 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

The Blueseum wrote:

Betts 42
Garlett 37
Waite 33
Henderson 23
Yarran 19

And just outside:
Murphy 18
Simpson 17
(Judd 14)

From the Blueseum

(Robinson 14)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:44 pm 
www.blueseum.org

verbs wrote:
The Blueseum wrote:

Betts 42
Garlett 37
Waite 33
Henderson 23
Yarran 19

And just outside:
Murphy 18
Simpson 17
(Judd 14)

From the Blueseum

(Robinson 14)

Correct.

From the Blueseum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:46 pm 
Robert Walls

It's great that we've been able to share it around more this year and rise to the challenge of life post-Fev.

But there were times this year when our forward line was locked down relatively easily.

I really want Kerr and Yarran to play a greater role in goal scoring this year... Maybe even blood Casboult if he comes along quick enough.

Teams will be planning ways to negate the amigos this year, so we need to keep evolving a truly multi dimensional forward line in 2011.

Lachie will become a star this year I believe!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:40 am 
www.blueseum.org

After 6 games in 2011, our goal kicking spread is fair to say quite a bit different to some of the main themes in this thread:

Garlett - 14 from 6.... 2 1/3 a game.
Walker - 13 from 6 .... just over 2 a game.
Betts - 11 from 6 ... just under 2 a game.

Then we have:

Thornton with 5 from 3, including 4 against GC
Waite with 8 from 6 at just over a 1 a game
Ellard with 2 from 2
Setanta with 1 from 1

Simpson, Judd, Joseph, Murphy, Warnock and Curnow are each at or about 1 goal every 2 games.

From the Blueseum

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

The more we share around the goal kicking the better i say

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next