Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:07 am 
Bruce Doull

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php? ... al%2C+1999

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:54 am 
Geoff Southby

I cant believe I and all my footy mates chickened out and didnt go to this game :banghead:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:41 am 
Geoff Southby

SOS smashing Llloyd...YES!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:19 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The memories.

Could another team today who has Blue in their jumpers beat the favorites who have red and black in their jumpers..

12-1-2016 - CAS goes bang, happy new year.. Drugcheats forever..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:06 am 
Bruce Doull

Words can't express the joy I felt that day. But the images speak for themselves.

[youtube]RSgHyX_gFnY[/youtube]

[youtube]MguBDmf9DAI[/youtube]

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:33 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Yep. We looked gawn at 3/4 time but the scum were wasteful kicking 7.7 in the 3rd.

The last Q was a cracker!

Dog Brown's tackle in the dying seconds... still gives me goosebumps....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:34 am 
Bruce Doull

And just for fun

[youtube]IBU7og93NnY[/youtube]

:smoking:

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:05 am 
Harry Vallence

I remember that day as the last day I had any finger nails left.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:14 am 
Horrie Clover

The best day of my football life - especially living in Moonee Ponds surrounded by them!

I had been working overseas for 2 weeks and arrived in Melbourne at about 2.00am to find 2 tickets for the match on the kitchen table - i was so excited i dont think i slept a wink.

what a day - my most vivid memory was Lance's finest moment with that goal outside 50 and standing up on the back of the seat on the lower level of the Ponsford stand giving it to them as the walked out heads down....!

i then had the absolute pleasure of driving past their ground and watching them collect the seats that they had lined up expecting to get their ticket to the grand final ----- PRICELESS. (Fair to say that i did a couple of laps around the ground with the scarf out of the window and offering some form of advice....)

i feel pretty good now today... :thanks: ....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 am 
Ken Hunter

I can remember that game like it was yesterday, I have always said it was the best game I had been to. I went with my then 8 yo daughter who is now driving!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:35 am 
Rod Ashman

I remember their despair - I remember their tears - I rememember seeing them lined up at Bass BEFORE the game they were that confident

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:38 am 
Ken Hunter

It didnt matter so much that we didnt win the GF that year, it hurt. But we stopped Essendon* from winning it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:56 am 
Bruce Doull

darknavy wrote:
I remember their despair - I remember their tears - I rememember seeing them lined up at Bass BEFORE the game they were that confident

I went to the game with three scum supporters, and one of them drew the short straw to sit with me in the Carlton members area (so I let him off the hook a bit). Before the game they were all talking about where and when to get their GF tickets (even with maps drawn up of which gate to be at and the like). After the game they told me "Say one word and you're walking home" so I kept silent for a while (except for waving to a few Carlton blokes who drove past tooting their horns) as we're going back to the car. About 20 minutes later I asked "So...do you guys know where I can get my GF ticket?", which was greeted with dead silence.

"Guys, I'm serious, where do I go to get my GF ticket" and before I knew it the map they had drawn was hurtled at my head at the speed of sound. "Thanks guys" :smoking:

I was 19 at the time, and a late bloomer, shall we say. So I can safely say the 99 prelim was better than any sexual experience I had to that point (and probably my first few afterwards) :thumbsup:

kezza wrote:
It didnt matter so much that we didnt win the GF that year, it hurt. But we stopped Essendon* from winning it.

I went to the GF and while it did hurt, it didn't hurt much more than a normal loss (our loss to Brisbane the other week felt worse). Like so many others have said, our GF was the week before, and knowing that we'd stopped the invincible bombers softened the blow a lot. It's only in the years since, seeing what the club has been through, that the pain of the 99 GF gets its due.

The 99 GF was also the day I got to meet Jezza. He'd just done an interview in the MMM marquee, and he signed my footy record on the mugshot of the then current #25 (some bloke who hadn't played a game yet :grin: ).

I'll also never forget seeing a little kid with his mum there as well. The kid (7-8 years old) points to Jezza and asked his mum who it was everyone was crowding around. She lent down to him and said "That's Jezza" and the kid's face lit up like you wouldn't believe. It warmed my heart to see the effect Jezza had on this kid and has always reminded me in the darkest moments, and to this day, ofhow lucky I am to support the Carlton Football Club.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:17 pm 
Robert Walls

Tell us the story of how you finally got your end away Don.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:33 pm 
Harry Vallence

a moment of elation not replicated to date.

I clearly remember hearing the heart strings of Essendon* supporters snapping over the sound of the siren.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:34 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Had been overseas for the whole 99 H&A season.

Arrived home the morning after Rd 22, the MCG scoreboard on fire game.

The following day i went to the last ever game @ Waverley, Swans and the Hawks. Packed out it was.

Then finals.

Obviously the Brisbane loss was nasty, but had a great time the following week.

Got my prelim tickets, I still remember the seats... D22, 23, 24, 25.

I went with Dad and 2 mates, I wasn't so fat that I needed 4 seats. Not so much true these days.

End of the game, my dad was standing up on seats singing the song. Never seen that before. He's one of these 'hey, no need to stand on seats' type people.

But just went off.

A lot of people say they didn't care about the GF the following week, but I truly didn't. I didn't have as much emotional 'investment' in that season having been away, and that game was just the pinnacle for me.

I don't care that there wasn't a cup at the end of it.

There were sobbing Essendon* supporters around me.

That's a good substitute.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:14 pm 
Ken Hunter

Crying Essendon* fans are the only bearable ones..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:17 pm 
Bruce Doull

I also fondly remember scum fans crying and whinging after the GF on all the talkback. All the Carlton people who called were philosophical while all the scum who called just wanted to have a cry and revel in our loss. I remember the MMM crew commenting about how immature they were all acting :lol:

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:41 pm 
Trevor Keogh

There have been few days in the last 10 years where I have not remembered a moment from that game.

One of the all time greats.

The scenes after that game inside and outside the G were utter pandemonium.

Now it is about time we start adding to the list of seriously great Carlton moments.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:00 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Great game but I'll take the 79 GF over it any day.

The day we start suggesting that a preliminary win is comparable to a GF is the day we start wearing black and white vertical stripes and removing at least one of our front teeth and about 75 IQ points.

Mort Sahl