Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:45 pm 
Harry Vallence

Leading into this season everyone was drooling about Hoops returning to the forward line. Anticipation of him contributing 30+ goals and consistently hitting Fev lace out was everywhere, but such expectations have fallen well short.
Why?...because with an opponent playing him with respect we have been unable to get the ball to him often enough where he has a bit of time and space to use his foot skills. If he had more pace or was more elusive things might be different.

Last week we saw Hoops moved onto Ballantyne after AJ struggled there and Hoops did well.
The MC initially earmarked Stevens for the quaterback role across HB and it wasn't successful.
Hoops has far more experience across HB than Stevo, and with his stronger body and longer reach is more effective spoiling whether against a lead or with the ball sitting on his head. He is a better defender than Stevo and his tackling and defensive skills have developed to the point they are now underrated.

If Hoops plays across HB we should be able to get the ball into his hands around 25 times a game, and with the space you get across HB he should be able to use it more effectively than most and with less risk of turnovers than any other player.
If I had to choose any player to pinpoint a short pass into the corridor Hoops is the man. He could help straighten us up and the key to getting value out of Hoops is getting the ball into his hands as much as possible where he has a bit of time to use it by foot. When he has time it is not just that his foot skills are excellent, but also his decision making.

For mine Hoops to play back from this week, and Scotto to probably spend more time forward.

Interested if others agree or think its worth persisting with Hoops as a forward.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:59 pm 
Geoff Southby

get rid of the hacks wrote:
Leading into this season everyone was drooling about Hoops returning to the forward line. Anticipation of him contributing 30+ goals and consistently hitting Fev lace out was everywhere, but such expectations have fallen well short.
Why?...because with an opponent playing him with respect we have been unable to get the ball to him often enough where he has a bit of time and space to use his foot skills. If he had more pace or was more elusive things might be different.

Last week we saw Hoops moved onto Ballantyne after AJ struggled there and Hoops did well.
The MC initially earmarked Stevens for the quaterback role across HB and it wasn't successful.
Hoops has far more experience across HB than Stevo, and with his stronger body and longer reach is more effective spoiling whether against a lead or with the ball sitting on his head. He is a better defender than Stevo and his tackling and defensive skills have developed to the point they are now underrated.

If Hoops plays across HB we should be able to get the ball into his hands around 25 times a game, and with the space you get across HB he should be able to use it more effectively than most and with less risk of turnovers than any other player.
If I had to choose any player to pinpoint a short pass into the corridor Hoops is the man. He could help straighten us up and the key to getting value out of Hoops is getting the ball into his hands as much as possible where he has a bit of time to use it by foot. When he has time it is not just that his foot skills are excellent, but also his decision making.

For mine Hoops to play back from this week, and Scotto to probably spend more time forward.

Interested if others agree or think its worth persisting with Hoops as a forward.

I would show him Royal Parade and tell him to get on the next one way tram

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I think he lost a bit of confidence after not getting that crucial goal against the saints,and then again the next week.
he may be stuck in his head a bit too much,and just need to DO...not think.
As for the tram ride..perhaps whoever wrote that about Hoops should consider taking that one way ride. :smile:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:43 pm 
Ken Hunter

..well, it's partly the way Hoops has been used.. .often as a defensive forward, or a lead-up target and help to the half back line.. ..factor in the games he hasn't played and it's easy to see why he hasn't looked like delivering a 30+ goal year..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:05 pm 
formerly King Kenny

I would be playing Hoops on O'Keefe tomorrow.

He has struggled up forward, without that yard or two of pace he seems to have lost he isn't as dangerous at ground level.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:07 pm 
Ken Hunter

Rafalution wrote:
I would be playing Hoops on O'Keefe tomorrow.

He has struggled up forward, without that yard or two of pace he seems to have lost he isn't as dangerous at ground level.

..admittedly he doesn't seem to be as quick, not sure what's goin' on there.. ..but i still think he's dangerous at ground level.. ..for me, it's as if all the defensive aspects that he needed/needs ti improve upon have made such an impression upon him that he's not playing with his natural attacking flair.. ..but rather thinking too much about playing defensive cos it doesnt come naturally to him and he needs to focus on it..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:20 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Houla has played his best football at half-back and as a run with player through the middle

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:02 pm 
Bruce Doull

Consistently inconsistent. Given that we currently have Fisher, Grigg, Carrazzo, Yarran and soon Walker as HF options, I'd like to see more of him in midfield.

When he doesn't win the ball, he can chop out a few of the opposition with his mature body.

And as I mention this another 20 odd touches this week after 19 last; that's what I expect of him along with good ball use. That's what I was expecting of him at HF, maybe bobbing up with a couple of goals if we needed it.

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:12 pm 
John James

Arguably one of his best games of the season today. Too inconsistent, but can play very well. Always dangerous. And in our best 22 for this year.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:22 am 
Harry Vallence

he was in my top 3 today. . .squeezed him in for the 1 vote.

Hit fev lace out a few times, showed balance, class, and an un-mentioned toughness pushing players like bird, vespremi, shaw and mattner off the ball allowing judd, simmo and carrots etc to gather the ball and get the credit for the posession.

I've been his biggest critic back in the day, and its why im allowed to get overly excited when he plays like he did today. he should NEVER play in the 2's again barring injury setback. His skills are sublime and if he missed a single target today with his 22 touches i'd be suprised.

Well done cinderella. . .love your work!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:47 am 
formerly King Kenny

I think that was his best game. A wizard the way he weaved out of contests and delivered the ball.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:53 pm 
Wayne Johnston

good hoops ...bad hoops ...bad hoops ...real good hoops ...bad hoops ...bad hoops ...good hoops........... ...bad hoops ...good hoops........

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

It's terrible when we cry for class
And when we've got it in our hands, we bitch.

Houla is class...and you need that in the fabric of team.

He's in our first 22 and can be played back, forward and in the guts.

16 contested possessions...sure that's more than fantastic, but when he only gets 3-4 contested possessions (which is good too) he is out of favour from the Mister Cloudy Days.

As I said before: we pick the best team every week.
Players who are developing should do most of that in the Ants and at Visy Park.
Until players not in the current 22 are better than the individuals selected, then they should not be picked.
When Houla is overtaken by the class of say a Yarran, then so be it.
In the meantime, he offers this team something we don'y have in abundance in 2009....class.

Great game yesterday Houla. That's 3 good games in a row.

Get on the bandwagon now, for he's hot, and knock him when he fails.

Go Bluebaggers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:04 pm 
Wayne Johnston

bondiblue wrote:

Get on the bandwagon now, for he's hot, and knock him when he fails.

Go Bluebaggers

'Is he the answer, no' is what you said a couple of weeks ago.

Do you float with the breeze like most others?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:06 pm 
Bruce Doull

budzy wrote:
good hoops ...bad hoops ...bad hoops ...real good hoops ...bad hoops ...bad hoops ...good hoops........... ...bad hoops ...good hoops........

You should just knock up a few classic 'budzy' lines and copy-paste them into the appropriate threads; activism at its worst.

Moving on from that, I was critical of Houla's tendency to hang onto the ball last week in traffic, but he seemed to have gotten the timing of it right this week. There'll always be a place for good decision makers in a team, just glad we're not getting burned the other way at present.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:08 pm 
Wayne Johnston

jimmae wrote:
budzy wrote:

You should just knock up a few classic 'budzy' lines and copy-paste them into the appropriate threads; activism at its worst.

Moving on from that, I was critical of Houla's tendency to hang onto the ball last week in traffic, but he seemed to have gotten the timing of it right this week. There'll always be a place for good decision makers in a team, just glad we're not getting burned the other way at present.

it's always been about timing with houla, hasn't it ...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

i had him on his last chance, but he was good yesterday.

keep that up and he is in our best 22, if he drops from that level he is no use to us.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:25 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:

I would show him Royal Parade and tell him to get on the next one way tram

What a surprise coming from you of all people. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:05 pm 
Harry Vallence

Was good to see Hoops take most of the kick ins along with Stevo last night. Think it was the best we have done in this area for the year.
The only stuff ups where when Army and AJ had a crack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:17 pm 
Bruce Doull

Was good to see Hoops take most of the kick ins along with Stevo last night. Think it was the best we have done in this area for the year.
The only stuff ups where when Army and AJ had a crack

Good on 'em for having a go down there, we need to stop relying on two blokes for kick-outs because it slows down our play.