Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:12 am 
Harry Vallence

21. Mark Austin – 4 (2)

Improved on last year and showed increased confidence at senior level. For a kid with a massive frame, he is still learning to use it and his body work needs to improve significantly. Also showed enough flexibility to suggest he might be used forward on occasion.

22. Shaun Hampson – 5 (3)

Also improved and had a greater impact on games than last year. Still needs to realize his potential and be more damaging with his touches around the ground and up forward. Needs to take more marks and have a greater influence whilst in the ruck. Good to see that the improvement graph is still on the rise.

23. Adam Hartlett – 2 (1.5)

Has failed to live up to his potential and despite being (virtually) injury free, he failed to play regular senior footy or to make an impact when he did. I have been a fan for a while, but I much prefer him as a lead up forward target than a defender. Will be touch and go to be retained, although I hope he is.

24. Nick Stevens – 6 (6.5)

Went backwards this year and was exposed for his failure to man up defensively. Stevens is no longer in our top 4 midfielders and must be more accountable. Dropped for the first time in his Carlton career, his form was better upon his return, but he remains frustratingly erratic. His kicking (when given time and space) remains elite, but I worry that he has a tendency to “cough up” the ball whenever he is tackled, and this may be a legacy of the neck injury. Very much at the crossroads next year.

25. Brendan Fevola – 9 (8.5)

I actually thought that Fev had a better year this year than last year as a result of his team involvements, consistency and defensive efforts. A truly elite player now, he is sometimes criticized for being our only forward target, but this is hardly his fault.

26. Joe Anderson – 2.5 (3)

Treaded water a bit this year and only made sporadic senior appearances. I believe he is contracted next season, but the imperative will be for him to improve and play more senior footy. Needs to work on decision making and disposal, but there is a bit to work with and I hope he kicks on.

27. Dennis Armfield – 4.5 (3)

Was clearly important to Ratts’ structure and played quite a bit during the year. Had some great moments and some terrible ones. Fantastic pace and ability to break the lines, but his rugby background shows in the occasionally flawed decision making and disposal. Thought he improved in both areas significantly late in the season and his defensive work was commendable.

28. Cameron Cloke – 3.5 (5)

Was given an extended crack at becoming a secondary forward target, but failed. Late season reprieve on the back of very good VFL form probably saved his career. Will likely get another year, but needs to have an impact fast. I do not rate his ruckwork, but he can kick a goal and take a mark up forward. Needs to improve his defensive work, aerobic capabilities and his general output.

29. Heath Scotland – 6 (7)

Disappointing year, mixed with some good football. His disposal let him down at times and was branded with the “downhill skier” tag with Judd, Murphy and Stevens. I still think he works best as an attacking winger and don’t like to see him as a sweeper off half back. Will sometimes generate huge stats (as in the Adelaide round 22 game) and have no impact.

30. Jarred Waite – 4.5 (7.5)

Was in terrific form prior to the injury costing him the season and hopefully he is fit for next year. The best positive of the injury will hopefully be that the defensive is better able to cope without him. Waite would have more impact on games as a forward or a roaming wingman, ala Kouta.

31. Jordan Bannister – 1 (2)

Confirmed his status as a journeyman with a good comeback in the St Kilda game, followed by a shocker in the second Essendon* debacle. Papers appear to be stamped and it would appear unlikely that he will play for the Blues again.

32. Bret Thornton – 7.5 (6)

Probably his best season for the Blues and he was an excellent defender, particularly chopping off opposition attacks and acting as the “third man up”. I am still a little frustrated with his sometimes sloppy or lazy disposal, but he is a valuable player. Still being consistently asked to play as the main defender, when he should be a third tall.

33. Ryan Houlihan – 6.5 (2)

Improved his consistency this year, but had his moments both good and bad. Played some good games as a defending forward, but failed to impact the scoreboard enough and was moved to defence later in the season. Played some good minutes on ball as well. Still has a tendency to go missing mentally, by forgetting to block or shepherd when appropriate. Might have been in trouble if he had a bad year, but now is safe and may get another two.

34. Simon Wiggins – 4.5 (6)

Started very well as a lead up forward like last year, until an article was written about his importance and his form (and fitness) went south after that. Played in defence later in the year whilst we were undermanned. Cannot fault his endeavour and courage and a couple of terrific efforts in the final at Brisbane. On the negative side he does not influence a game as much as a player of his age should, and his future may be the subject of discussion, but I suspect he will secure another one-year deal.

36. Darren Pfeiffer – 0 (3)

Injured most of the year and didn’t play a game. I am a fan and I hope he is retained on the rookie list. I would like to see him moved forward as a leading mobile target, with occasional runs on the ball. Worth persisting with.

37. Jake Edwards – 0 (1.5)

Injury problems, form problems and attitude problems (?). Not used at all in the ones and his papers appear to be stamped. Still only 21, despite being on the list for 4 years. If he is delisted, the club could do worse than to consider a rookie position for him in an otherwise weak draft, but this might depend on whether the attitude issue is true or not. Used in defence in the twos, which is surprising given our desperate need for a forward.

38. Jeff Garlett – 4 (-)

Surprise packet of the year and provided some genuine highlight moments. Ridiculously thin for a league footballer, and will be retained as a second-year rookie if he is not promoted to the senior list. Wonderful reader off the pack, but he needs to learn more tricks to become a long term footballer.

39. Sam Jacobs – 3 (0)

Re-rookied at the end of last year and showed very good early season form before being injured. Improved his mobility and second efforts. Is standing fourth in our list of ruckman, so I suspect that he may be retained on the rookie list as I believe he can serve a two-year term again. If not, he could be promoted or a trade might be an option to another club if Sauce wants to secure more time in the seniors.

40. Michael Jamison – 5 (6.5)

Injury appeared to affect him long before he was warehoused this season and he didn’t get to play his best football. Will hopefully be cherry ripe to return and have an impact next year as his influence was sorely missed (particularly in the final).

41. Lachie Hill – 0 (0)

Was given a second year on the rookie list and has some tricks, but has failed to crack a game in the ones over two years. Has shown some ability, but flits in and out of games. Very unlikely to be promoted to the senior list, so his only chance to continue would seem to be if he was re-rookied.

42. Luke Stanton – 0 (-)

Failed to play senior footy and spent most of his time in the Bullants reserves. I haven’t seen enough of him to make an informed comment.

44. Andrew Carrazzo – 7.5 (6.5)

Much improved on last year, after a slow start because of injury. Used in a number of defensive jobs and able to provide influence the other way. Special mention deserved for his improved kicking skills (particularly with goal kicking) and whilst I thought he would not be a long-term player with the Blues a few years ago, I think it is safe to say that he is now fully deserved of his place in the best 22.

45. Aaron Joseph – 7.5 (0)

Was used from round 1 and played an excellent season as our first-choice tagger, after spending last year learning in the magoos. Will surely be promoted to the senior list and deservedly so. Our record off the rookie list is better than our recent speculative late-order drafting.

46. David Ellard – 0 (1)

Left in the magoos all year and not given an opportunity despite some excellent form. Not sure of what will happen – he is unlikely to be promoted and I have doubts that he will make it because of his size. Not electrifying pace-wise, he is a very good solid footballer, who just might lack the “it” factor to play regular senior footy.

47. Greg Bentley – 1 (-)

Played only the two games and appears to have been rookied to provide depth as an in-and-under midfielder. Was a whipping boy for the first up effort against the Hawks, and a lack of pace and ability by foot hamper an otherwise tidy package. Wayne Hughes confessed he had always been a fan of his at Port Adelaide, and this explains our reasons for chasing him. Unlikely to be promoted, but may be retained as a rookie for depth.