Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:00 am 
Wayne Johnston

Discuss Elliott here

This is about Sticks standing up and clearing the air on the 'hush money' issue/non-issue.

He is the current leader of our club and he must publicly rebuke the claims or initiate investigations to put the matter to rest.

Don't hide in the bunker Sticks, it's time to come out and lead for your club!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:35 am 
formerly King Kenny

What does Sticks need to say. Just feeding the chook if he does.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:01 am 
Rod Ashman

Rafalution wrote:
What does Sticks need to say. Just feeding the chook if he does.

I agree. Better if he says nothing and ignores him.

If he goes out to bat, can see the whole can being opened.

And besides didn't this "allegedly" take place around the same time Sticks was playing.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:40 am 
Wayne Johnston

Sorry, in this instance where the club has been publicly and deliberately attached to an ugly social/sporting issue, I think it’s weak to run and hide in the hope it blows over or to sweep the mud being thrown under the rug …and that’s how the general public will see it.

A strong leader would confront this type of issue and let his club be seen as strongly pro-active in the fight against the ‘old ways’.

An opportunity to LEAD for Kernahan.

He should stand up and fight fire with fire!! …and not meekly run and hide when confronted with a difficult issue such as this.

Being seen to ACT will gain great respect for this club!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:06 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sticks needs to say nothing - He played in that era an he along with everyone else in the footy world knows stuff like this went on - No use going out there and denying it as it could come back to haunt him. You only have to look at what is going on in Canberra at the moment to realise sometimes saying nothing is a better option.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:19 am 
Wayne Johnston

Sydney Blue wrote:
Sticks needs to say nothing - He played in that era an he along with everyone else in the footy world knows stuff like this went on - No use going out there and denying it as it could come back to haunt him. You only have to look at what is going on in Canberra at the moment to realise sometimes saying nothing is a better option.

IF there are 'wrongs' that occurred in the past I'd prefer them to 'righted' rather than smell the sh*t under the rug every day...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:25 am 
Rod Ashman

The club CAN and SHOULD only respond if definite cases emerge and alleged victims come out and accuse the club or past players. Until then the club has no need to say anything in regards to the mad ranting of a spotlight seeking has been

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:40 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sydney Blue wrote:

I'd qualify that statement by saying that he does not need to say anything publicly but behind the scenes who should be saying a fair bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:43 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

woof wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

I'd qualify that statement by saying that he does not need to say anything publicly but behind the scenes who should be saying a fair bit.

I'm sure he is

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:44 am 
Bruce Doull

While I generally agree that the Club should only come out and respond to allegations which have more substance, I'm more with Budzy, that the Club, and our President especially, need to get on the front foot and respond swiftly. He doesn't have to say much, beyond dismissing the allegations as baseless, and that there's nothing to be gained by anyone to dredge up baseless allegations now, so long after they were supposed to have happened. And besides, the allegations were dealt with at the time, and were baseless then, and continue to be now.

To remain silent gives the impression that the Club is hiding something, and is a massive mistake, PR-wise.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:01 am 
Herald Sun columnist

Enough people who were involved with the club at that time have knocked it on the head - Collo, Gough, Parko, Maclure, Wallsy.

Sticks would only be joining that chorus.

He doesn't need to say anything, as people are already denouncing it.

Behind closed doors, he needs to change the locks at Visy Park and Jeanne needs to have a gentle word in his ear about being seen but never heard.

“It is a state of mind, a system of belief, a way of seeing the world, a deep faith that, because you are Carlton, you belong to something great.” - Mike Fitzpatrick articulating what Out of the Blue means.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:03 am 
Bruce Doull

DownUnderChick wrote:
Enough people who were involved with the club at that time have knocked it on the head - Collo, Gough, Parko, Maclure, Wallsy.

Sticks would only be joining that chorus.

He doesn't need to say anything, as people are already denouncing it.

Behind closed doors, he needs to change the locks at Visy Park and Jeanne needs to have a gentle word in his ear about being seen but never heard.

All those people are only peolpe who were at the Club at the time mentioned. Sticks is the only one who is President. He needs to speak for the Club, be the voice of the club.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:07 am 
Bert Deacon

He needs to put that dumb flower Elliot in his place. Hard.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:19 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Colllins and Gough, the CEOs from 89-99 have denied any knowledge. that is enough. Let John idiot swing on his own for this. He's the one that did the paying off. Why should anyone else take responsibility?
The current board and admin are as removed from the Elliot days as you can get.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:24 am 
Bruce Doull

Sticks needs to put his presidency before his friendship and tell Jack to pull his head in. I'm tired of Elliot spouting crap to the media every couple of months, he hasn't had an official capacity at the club for years yet still promotes himself as the go to guy when it comes to Carlton stories.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:57 am 
Robert Walls

The man John Elliot feared is no longer around and this being evident by stealing the focus from a day of tribute to the great Richard Pratt to himself. After Richard Pratts very last breath John Elliot was spruiking himself and his relationship with Richard Pratt in front of the cameras.

What an absolute disgrace he is by making such statements the day before the club, the state and australia paying tribute to such a great man.

He is an insignificant dinosaur with no credibility what so ever and a pig of a man.

Last edited by Mrs Caz on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edited to remove Breach of Rule 2.3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:07 pm 
formerly blue-insider

Last edited by Mrs Caz on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edited to remove Breach of Rule 2.1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:53 pm 
Geoff Southby

Ordinarily, I'd say that Sticks should be putting the club's case front and centre. But in this instance, I think it would be unwise to continue the public debate that Elliot started.

The very worst thing the club can do is give Elliot oxygen. However, I'd be extremely disappointed if Kernahan wasn't straight on the phone to Elliot, giving him an absolute gobful about his selfish and idiotic actions. With friends like John Elliot... :banghead:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:03 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sticks shouldn't say a thing, why fuel there fire? Elliot is the greatest embarrassment our great club has ever produced. The less we glorify his stupid comments, the less significant he becomes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:16 pm 
Craig Bradley

Of course Sticks should - he should come out and denounce strongly this clown :mad: and the club should completely disown him - every time the club gets momentum and looks on the up and up this clown drags us back into the mire - this is not a topic to be flippant about or clever about it is completely and utterly reprehensible - this dinosaur is dragging us back at least 20 years

He had his go and nearly brought the club to its knees - no good club having an attitude it is only Jack and ignore it - get on the front foot and disassociate yourself from him and his ridiculous musings

Our women supporters and members need to be reassured about this and the clubs stance

He is only doing it for self serving purposes and for self promotion

He needs to be told that if he brings the club into disrepute like this that they will withdraw his membership /rights

Piss off Jack :mad: