Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:29 am 
Wayne Johnston

His forward defensive role that split the TC ranks has seemingly gone to Houlihan.

Maybe Ratts thinks Houla has a greater scope to kick goals than JR whilst keeping his opponent quiet at the same time.

How can we re-invent JR with another role, or is he done?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:40 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I was really surprised that Houla could blanket Fisher of StKilda, and with his goalkicking ability seems to be a more dangerous prospect than Russell

Look the pressure is on for spots in the 22.

I think that Russell will find it hard to crack this team. The defense is right, the firwardline is fine, and the midfield is strong with Walker to come back.

I think Robinson with another preseason will pass him, but you just never know.

As for tricks or gimmicks I think he just has to continue to work hard and improve his prospects for another call up.

Keep banging that door. I mean what else can he do? Where there's a heart beat there's always a chance.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:23 am 
formerly King Kenny

PA Rep?

I say unleash the beast and let him attack the game through the midfield/half back.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:34 am 
Robert Walls

Big mistake not playing JR last night.

He could have run with Dal Santo or Montanga who carved us up.

Jr needs to be molded into a Stenglein/Welshe type of player. Work on his engine over the preseason so he can run with the best

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:37 am 
Trevor Keogh

budzy wrote:
His forward defensive role that split the TC ranks has seemingly gone to Houlihan.

I DID notice people calling for Hoilihan to be dropped, so i guess he's doing it well :grin:

#23: Lachlan Henderson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:26 am 
Bruce Comben

Melvey wrote:
Big mistake not playing JR last night.

He could have run with Dal Santo or Montanga who carved us up.

Jr needs to be molded into a Stenglein/Welshe type of player. Work on his engine over the preseason so he can run with the best

Hmmmm. Having a team chock full of elite ball winners means we don't have many options to go in hard to provide protection for Judd and co, just like Judd had when he was at his best at West Coast. If Russell has the endurance to follow the ball and protect the ball winners, maybe he has a role?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:29 am 
Wayne Johnston

Juzzy wrote:
budzy wrote:

I DID notice people calling for Hoilihan to be dropped, so i guess he's doing it well :grin:

Needs to hurt his opponents offensively as well with goals.

How many did he kick last night??? ...just as many as JR!

Be very interesting what role JR plays in the ants today...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:15 pm 
Bruce Doull

JR's a defensive forward still? What games have you been watching.

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:38 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

No doubting the defensive side of JR's game is very good however he needs to kick those goals when the opportunity presents itself.
Banno only got 10 poss's last night but was a valuable contributor because (other than his defensive job on Gram) of his 2 goals. JR probably would have done a similar defensive job, got a few more poss's than Banno however he wouldn't have taken his chances.
Hopefully he will come back from his VFL stint a more confident player.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:06 pm 
Ken Hunter

jimmae wrote:
JR's a defensive forward still? What games have you been watching.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Russell has every opportunity to find a solid niche as an AFL player - he has the ability, he will get another season on the list. The answer is in his head. Don't forget he played some fine games early season.

Maybe he needs to move clubs?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:12 pm 
Bruce Doull

aramari wrote:
Russell has every opportunity to find a solid niche as an AFL player - he has the ability, he will get another season on the list. The answer is in his head. Don't forget he played some fine games early season.

Maybe it would be best for Carlton and JR if he was allowed to show his worth before the end of the season, and if he can show that he's a part of Carlton's future, then great, if not, then maybe we can get a decent pick for him.

I think he's had a very good year this year, and a lot of people are very quick to jump on his mistakes and are reluctant to give him credit for his improvement.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:17 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Maybe he should declare himself as a Sydney born Irish Fijian and then he could play shit everyweek and people would be hailing him as a star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:19 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
Maybe he should declare himself as a Sydney born Irish Fijian and then he could play flower everyweek and people would be hailing him as a star

Jordain O'rUssell?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:58 am 
Harry Vallence

Will find it very hard to crack a permanent spot now .
Anderson , Robinson , Hadley and Yarran are all in the twos , and are better players than JR .

He got an armchair ride at selection for a couple of years , but I think the picnics over .
And , unfortunately , would have no trade value .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:47 am 
Bruce Doull

He'll only be needed again if we have 15+ injuries.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:48 am 
John Nicholls

Sydney Blue wrote:
Maybe he should declare himself as a Sydney born Irish Fijian and then he could play flower everyweek and people would be hailing him as a star

Who's hailing him as a "star"?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:53 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

aramari wrote:

I aggree with this.

I think the main problem with Russell is entierly in his head.

He's skills are just awful. He misses the most basic targets in the most cringe-worthy of ways. But i don't think that was part of his game prior to us drafting him. I feel he's lost all self-belief and is low on confidence.

This 'Going to ground' business too. I think he's just so desperate to get into the game that he'll throw himself at the ball without thinking.

I've been one to consistantly call for Russell to be dropped, and with good and validated reasons too. But all you Russell lovers just think that it's cause i hate him. QUITE THE OPPOSITE. I want the kid to succeed. But, he's current form does not warrant him in this side.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:07 pm 
Bruce Doull

ryan2000 wrote:
He's skills are just awful. He misses the most basic targets in the most cringe-worthy of ways.

I find it hard to believe you honestly think you're being honest with this. His disposal has been better than average most times he's been "visible" during a match, and in particular during the match v Sydney at the SCG was one of the few who did their job; did it well; hit targets and beat his man.

I'm neither here nor there on him, only that if he's in the seniors and is doing what's asked of him, then there's little more that can be said. However, if it's better for the club that he move on, then so be it.

Like I've said consistently: Way too many are way too quick to jump on every error JR makes, yet give no credit for when he does what he's been tasked to do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:13 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Kaptain Kouta wrote:
ryan2000 wrote:
He's skills are just awful. He misses the most basic targets in the most cringe-worthy of ways.

I find it hard to believe you honestly think you're being honest with this. His disposal has been better than average most times he's been "visible" during a match, and in particular during the match v Sydney at the SCG was one of the few who did their job; did it well; hit targets and beat his man.

I do honestly believe that.............because it's true. He's dissposal is not up to AFL standards. Hell, it was still very poor on the weekend at VFL level.
I remember the Adelaide match when he missed fevola with a handball from just a few meters and then 10min later missed Murphy by 5 mtrs and kicked it out on the full.

I don't want this page to be turned into a 'slagging JR' thread so i'm gonna stop here. But he needs to work on his skills.

And i really can't buy the whole 'Oh but it's his ability to shut down players that nobody see's' card either!
Aaron Joespeh does the whole 'Defensive' side of the game perfectly but, the difference is, when he gets the ball he uses it quite well.