Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:43 am 
Geoff Southby

Now we are nearly half way through the season. Lets do a bit of a run through on which players we believe will not be on the list next year. Here is my list:

Bannister
Bentick
Wiggins
Setanta
Cloke
Edwards
Hartlett
Fisher (hopefully some strange club might want him, otherwise delist, or give at pick 93 to Collingwood in a Corrie like selection)
Hadley

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:45 am 
Robert Walls

I'd say Hartlett and Hadley would survive. Edwards is injured and being light on forward options i'd say he'd get another go next year

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:48 am 
Ken Hands

Melvey wrote:
I'd say Hartlett and Hadley would survive. Edwards is injured and being light on forward options i'd say he'd get another go next year

+1 except for Hadley ... very ordinary this year ... but am willing to wait a few more rounds before I make my mind up

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:58 am 
Bruce Doull

Why are players cards being marked when they are clearly playing to amateur structtures and gameplans.

This is the worry when you have a coach who cant drill players to play the modern game.
You actually believe the whole team is shit.
If you just watched yesterdays game for instance and hadnt seen any other games youd have everybodys card marked except Bower Kreuzer and maybe Murphy.

Even Judd would have his card marked ..he looked just as lost and confused as everybody else.

Maybe we should start with the guys that are in charge of our chargers !!!

Absolute disgraceful in how theyre attempting to have the players ,play.

Amazingly amateurish deep into their second year... and i can just hear Ratts now.... "Were not really that good.. i need better cattle..."

You dont need the All Australian team.. you need a gameplan.

Can anyone actually see how it is were attempting to have an effective gameplan by what were doing?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:03 am 
Harry Vallence

The advertising guru who came up with our 2009 slogan.............quite clearly where are far from "coming".

BTW Ratts had how many years as an assistant coach? Was it the solitary one before he moved from Melbourne in strange circumstances?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:41 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Synbad wrote:
Why are players cards being marked when they are clearly playing to amateur structures and gameplans.

This is the worry when you have a coach who cant drill players to play the modern game.

I am still concerned about Ratts especially with the selection process. If he was the best person for the job I would be very surprised. Then he employs old Carlton people that hadn't coached anywhere else. Our structures and game style are extremely poor and confusing. They are especially exposed when we play a side who is desperate. The problem for us is that we have had an easy draw and haven't played a top side yet. We rely on so few it isn't funny.

As for players card's being marked it will depend on contracts. Didn't Fisher get a two year deal last year? Just dumb.
These gusy aren't up to it.

Fisher
Hartlett
Edwards
Bentick
Russell (tradeable?)
Houlihan (tradeable?)
Wiggins
Setanta
Bentley

Hadley is a class player who needs another preseason and game time to get over his leg issues.
Bannister is a hard nut and we miss his size and aggression. Very handy player.
I would be surprised if Stevens plays more than another year.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:46 am 
Bruce Doull

We get exposed when we play teams that are organised in how they are going about the game.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:52 am 
Harry Vallence

Looking at it from another angle, if you were the recruiter at GC17, perhaps the only one you'd be interested in would be Santy to provide a mature body in a key position and the ability to relieve in the ruck. Maybe Russell too.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:53 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Synbad wrote:
We get exposed when we play teams that are organised in how they are going about the game.

Ratts also refuses to make tough decisions on players who are obviously not up to it.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:03 am 
Garry Crane

whose card has been marked ?

Brett Ratten's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:18 am 
John Nicholls

livolover wrote:
whose card has been marked ?

Brett Ratten's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Won't happen.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:45 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Synbad is right. Look at St Kilda, they have players that in the overall scheme of things aren't that flash, but they have a role to play in a defined structure, and they fulfil it. I'm talking Gwilt, Clinton Jones, etc. Would you recruit them? I wouldn't. By the end of this year though, they may well have a premiership medal. Not every player in your team is going to be a superstar, but as long as they know what's expected of them, and that their role completes part of the jigsaw, they'll do ok. I doubt that's the case for many of our kids.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:48 am 
Robert Walls

Rod Waddell wrote:
The advertising guru who came up with our 2009 slogan.............quite clearly where are far from "coming".

It wasn't a marketing agency. It was in house and. Some 20 something slob supposedly with a 'marketing' background who works in communications.

Really professional isn't it especially when the president only finds out about once the job had been printed.

This club is a mess.

They're doing there very best to try mask it.

Its all about trying to be something we used to be and not what we need to be

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:49 am 
Herald Sun columnist

And the best goes on. :banghead:

“It is a state of mind, a system of belief, a way of seeing the world, a deep faith that, because you are Carlton, you belong to something great.” - Mike Fitzpatrick articulating what Out of the Blue means.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:14 am 
Serge Silvagni

TheInsider wrote:

Fisher
Hartlett
Edwards
Bentick
Russell (tradeable?)
Houlihan (tradeable?)
Wiggins
Setanta
Bentley

Hadley is a class player who needs another preseason and game time to get over his leg issues.

You've just named 9 players who "aren't up to it", only two of whom played in the seniors yesterday, one being a late inclusion.
I assume then that you think that the other 20 players who stepped out yesterday are "up to it".
Stange performance by so many good footballers.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:22 am 
Trevor Keogh

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
.............I'm talking Gwilt, Clinton Jones, etc. Would you recruit them?..............

I thought Gwilt was ours until the Aints trumped us with an earlier pick.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:26 am 
Robert Walls

Synbad wrote:
Why are players cards being marked when they are clearly playing to amateur structtures and gameplans.

If you just watched yesterdays game for instance and hadnt seen any other games youd have everybodys card marked except Bower Kreuzer and maybe Murphy.

Even Judd would have his card marked ..he looked just as lost and confused as everybody else.

Maybe we should start with the guys that are in charge of our chargers !!!

Absolute disgraceful in how theyre attempting to have the players ,play.

Amazingly amateurish deep into their second year... and i can just hear Ratts now.... "Were not really that good.. i need better cattle..."

You dont need the All Australian team.. you need a gameplan.

Can anyone actually see how it is were attempting to have an effective gameplan by what were doing?

CORRECT
You can put an under18 side out there and still work out what their structures are. They may not be executed well but you can see what the hell they are doing. And please spare me the usual diatribe about not executing the structures properly. Perception is reality. There are enough people on this website (and some media commentators....Healy, Russell and Sheahan) who are starting to question our gameplan. As a simple example, if Fev is in the best position when we are going into f50, pass it to him. if he is not, pass it to the next best. if there is nobody, hold it for a few seconds and go to your rote learned structures?????? This club is in a mini crisis. Reject that notion at your own peril. I'm happy to hold my current thoughts up to scrutiny till the end of 2010.
Anyway, start pulling those pins and firing grenades back

Last edited by 99prelim on Sun May 24, 2009 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:26 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Budsyblues wrote:
TheInsider wrote:

Fisher
Hartlett
Edwards
Bentick
Russell (tradeable?)
Houlihan (tradeable?)
Wiggins
Setanta
Bentley

You've just named 9 players who "aren't up to it", only two of whom played in the seniors yesterday, one being a late inclusion.
I assume then that you think that the other 20 players who stepped out yesterday are "up to it".

Interesting that you read that into my comments.
I just will not make assumptions on one game. The guys above I believe are not up to it but there are certainly others with huge question marks. You really make some weird assessments?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:28 pm 
Serge Silvagni

TheInsider wrote:
Budsyblues wrote:
TheInsider wrote:

Fisher
Hartlett
Edwards
Bentick
Russell (tradeable?)
Houlihan (tradeable?)
Wiggins
Setanta
Bentley

Interesting that you read that into my comments.
I just will not make assumptions on one game. The guys above I believe are not up to it but there are certainly others with huge question marks. You really make some weird assessments?

I'm not making any assessments, you are.
It's almost certain that we'll delist/trade no more than 8 players, so if your assessment proves to be somewhere near the mark then our best 22 next season will be much the same as the one that stepped onto the ground yesterday give or take a player or two.(Grigg, Walker and Warnock if he makes the grade).
Are you confident that those players can take us to a premiership?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:33 pm 
formerly Josh Kaplan

Compare us to Melbourne-- they arent winning games, but every one of their players has a defined role to play-- they play with far more understanding of their own structures than we do.
Synbad is spot on- it isnt a question of talent, it is a question of decision making and understanding of the game.. and a few fo us have been saying this since Ratten was first appointed.