Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Defence coach??
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:36 pm 
Robert Walls

I know Montgomery looks after the defense on match days but who actually works/developing our defenders??

Do we have a ex-player working with T-bird, Bower, Jammo, Austin and Setanta like we have with a ruck coach.

Why is Montgomery in charge of defense??

I know there are politics involved but i'd love to see SOS back at the club working with Jammo and especially Bowser. Imagine what these two could learn under the guidance of the best FB in AFL history.

Another thing i've noticed is that both Jammo and Bower don't look as if they've changed in body size/haven't got any bigger. How is it that Nathan Brown from Collingwood is bigger than Bower?

Post subject: Re: Defense coach??
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:13 pm 
Bob Chitty

I can't give you many answers about Montgomery, but i did find this about SOS.

Obviously joined the Saints before Ratts took over, though it sounds like he might be after something a little more advanced then a casual role anyway.

But I agree, it would be great to have him working with the young guys. They showed that 'week with the Saints' thing during half time of their match on the weekend and it hurt a bit seeing him in those shitty colors :mad:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:28 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Maybe Jamo couldnt do the upper body weights due to his shoulder op during the off season. Maybe Bower struggles to put on weight or maybe they want to add weight slowly as not to stuff him up. Dunno.

Why wouldnt Montgomary be defence coach?

who cares how big Brown is at collingwood ? !

Id love sos back at carlton.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:43 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Monty looked pretty ripped when they caught him at the 3/4 time break of last week's game on the TV. The short sleeve CFC polo shirt was straining to hold in the guns!!! After watching the interview i was kind of hoping he was going to put the boots on and go stand Bradshaw for the last 1/4.

About a year ago i parked my car at a meter next to the Tan and when I was over paying for the ticket I turned around and SOS was standing there in a St Kilda top. Apparently it was the start/finish line for one of their time trials around the tan. It just didnt look right, i wanted to scream "say it aint so SOS....say it aint so....!!!!" then collapse to my knees with head in hands. But, like any middle aged office drone I opted instead to pretend I hadnt noticed and quietly shuffle off unnoticed into the grey surrounds.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:58 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Melvey wrote:
I know Montgomery looks after the defense on match days but who actually works/developing our defenders??

Do we have a ex-player working with T-bird, Bower, Jammo, Austin and Setanta like we have with a ruck coach.

Why is Montgomery in charge of defense??

I know there are politics involved but i'd love to see SOS back at the club working with Jammo and especially Bowser. Imagine what these two could learn under the guidance of the best FB in AFL history.

Another thing i've noticed is that both Jammo and Bower don't look as if they've changed in body size/haven't got any bigger. How is it that Nathan Brown from Collingwood is bigger than Bower?

Montgomery was a premiership player for Port Adelaide playing of the HBF.
I recently read a training report where it was noted that Montgomery and Chris Johnson were working on Johnson's spoiling after the Richmond game.
SOS is working at St Kilda and is a good mate of Ross Lyons. SOS was a great defender, Montgomery would play a Luke Hodge type role at Port Adelaide. Defending is so much more than defending these days.
The beauty of Bower and Jammo is that they can play on little blokes and big blokes due to their bodies and agility. Yeh Bower got exposed on Saturday night but he has played on Bradshaw before and beat him. He has played on Travis Cloke and beaten him as well.
Nathan Brown is big but I have seen him play on Fevola for about 10 minutes and have 4 kicked on him. Can he play on the little blokes?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:10 am 
Ken Hunter

I would have thought Monty has some runs on the board to the do the job.

220 games (AFL career only cut short by injury)
A B&F winner at Port
All Australian
Member of the IR team
Premiership player.
Played alot of footy in the backline
I don't see a problem with that CV.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:21 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Their of course is a lot of romance about SOS and our admiration here of his deeds for us on the football field.

Whilst I hold SOS in the highest esteem for his deeds on the football field and his past contribution to the Carlton Football Club - his contribution to the club since he has left has been all about what the club can do for him rather than what he can do for the club - he unfortunatley does not cut a very admired figure with those whose views currently count at the club (and its got nothing to do with Black Friday November 2002 by the way).

This is sad in a way given his father's Sergio's contribution to the club and his family connection to the club.

Of course we would like to see SOS come back to the club and work with the playing group - but its not going to happen any time soon.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:35 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Playing full-back isn't the same as it was when SOS was playing. That's not in any way meant as disparaging to SOS's coaching methodology or credentials, more the point that you don't have to be a traditional full-back to be the defensive coach at an elite level. Brenton Sanderson does a lot of defensive work with the Geelong backs, Ross Smith is the Hawks head defensive coach and Brad Scott does a similar role at Collingwood. I think you'll find the common denominator between these guys and Monty is good football brain, excellent work ethic and incredibly tough.

I think so long as SOS passes on his knowledge, work ethic and toughness to his kids then that's all we should be worried about.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:58 pm 
Harry Vallence

SOS won't return whilst John Elliot is lurking in the background at the CFC.

Bower appears to struggle on the last line of defence.....likes the freedom further up the ground. Was caught hopelessly out of position against Bradshaw.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:19 pm 
John Nicholls

These days a defender is as much a an attacking player as a forward would be. If not more.

First job - defend.
Second job - run the ball out of the backline and kick long to space.

SOS as a defender in the 90s was brilliant because during that decade defenders were defenders and forwards were forwards. While the game as a whole changes so do the roles of the positions out on the ground.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:04 pm 
Bruce Doull

This is strange talk about SOS; he, McKay and Christou regularly linked up with and pushed into the midfield.

The difference is, it wasn't as key a part of their role as it would be now.

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:04 pm 
John Nicholls

jimmae wrote:
This is strange talk about SOS; he, McKay and Christou regularly linked up with and pushed into the midfield.

The difference is, it wasn't as key a part of their role as it would be now.

Exactly.

If they had done it back then, they would have been looked upon as geniuses whereas now it's demanded of defenders.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:17 am 
Harry Vallence

Firsrtly there is no doubt that SOS is highly regarded by many as a defensive coach amongst senior coaches.
He helped Roos on a part time basis at Sydney.
When Roberts-Thompson had some form lapses Roos contacted SOS after he had returned to Melb and asked him to come to Sydney to help with LRT, which SOS did in one of the years the Swans made the GF

People seem to be forgetting SOS stated that he was interested in the "head coaching" position at Carlton nearing the end of Pagans time. As I understand it he was told that having not held a full time position as an assistant was a hinderence to his chances. He eventually took up an assistant role under Lyon and he may not have been welcomed by Pagan as an assistant, especially if Pagan felt he was shooting for his job.

It seems that Ratten has long been the most highly regarded ex Carlton player as a coaching prospect by several powerbrokers at the club (Fraser Brown offered to pay out Pagans contract on the condition that Ratts be appointed coach)

SOS has publicly stated that he does have aspirations to coach an AFL club and may be just seeking the path he feels is most likely to get him to his goal.

As for weight gains by Bower and Jammo - Jammo repotadly put on 4kg this pre season and that is about as much an increase in 1 season that is deemed appropriate by conditioning coaches.
Bower really seems to struggle putting on weight and his weight/muscle gain has been a really slow process and will probably continue to be so for the next 3-4 years, it just a genetic thing. For this reason I think Bower will take until 25 -27 to get the genuine strong AFL body. I remember WH commenting after drafting Bower that he expected him to develop a really strong body (probably due to his Moari blood), but that was obviously way off the mark.
Simmo has had exactly the same problem putting on weight and has stated that he would like to play 3-4 kg heavier but just cant get the muscle on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:35 am 
Robert Walls

This is not a told you so but...... Our defensive setup was disgraceful.

I know part of the blame comes from the lack of defensive pressure coming from our mids and forwards but, there were holes everywhere in the back half.

Thornton was giving Llyod way to much space, at times not even picking him up. On several times one of defenders was in position to have got a fist in when Llyody marked the ball but failed to.

Our back six was nothing but disgraceful. They looked like a bunch of headless chooks with no structure

Who works with our defenders on there technique? is Peter Dean down at the club?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:00 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Melvey wrote:
Who works with our defenders on there technique? is Peter Dean down at the club?

Why? Is he a good coach?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:39 am 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
Melvey wrote:

Why? Is he a good coach?

Not sure but thought i read that he was working with the bullants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:13 am 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:
Melvey wrote:

Why? Is he a good coach?

If he was employed by another club I bet he would be...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:15 am 
Geoff Southby

Melvey wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Melvey wrote:

Why? Is he a good coach?

Dean hasn't been at the Bullants for about 3 years. He was an Assistant to Mitchell in about 2005-2006. I think he then coached in the TAC (Murray Bushrangers?) for a year or two, and is now an Assistant Coach to Eade at the Western Bulldogs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:32 am 
Rod McGregor

Defending is a hell of a lot easier when you have an accountable midfield

We were deplorable in pressure around the footy and our defenders were exposed because of that and not their individual abilities

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:42 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Melvey wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Melvey wrote:

Why? Is he a good coach?

Yes, but is he a good coach?
It's pointless throwing up names for the sake of it.