Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Segmenting Our List
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:14 pm 
Robert Walls

I have tried to segment our list. Obviously everyone has a different take, and some of the decisions I have made might surprise some of you. For example, who'd have thought Wiggins would be in my LOCK IN group. But fact is he plays an important role now, and is doing it consistently this year. Similarly, while no doubt hugely talented Hadley is a bit of an unproven, not least because of his history with injury but also because he is not quick and has been taken out of the game the last 2 weeks.

CLASS BUT GETTING OLD

Fevola
Stevens
Scotland

TOP QUALITY OR KEY LOCK INS

Waite – has finally stepped up in 2009 to be a consistent quality player. Can either play the Hodge intercept and rebound role down back (and in doing so helps our undermanned backline and generates most of our run from defence) our can be a legitimate quality second forward

Judd – the one truly consistent superstar in the team

Betts – has stepped up this year to be a consistent creative threat near goal, and is in turn kicking more goals than ever before (high on AFL goal kicking ladder)

Murphy – has improved his running and kicking for goal. Seems to be more of a runner now which will compliment Gibbs’ work in the middle

Gibbs – top class on-baller, terrific hands at clearances, poised user. Shapes as our Centerman for the next decade.

Jamison – key to our backline/best natural defender on our list

Kruezer – will take time to fill out but will eventually be an elite ruckman and if Warnock and Hampson develop, he could potentially go forward for team balance purposes (given Fevola won’t be there in 4 or so years)

Warnock – injury prone but club was desperate to get him so obviously they rate him highly, and at 206cm he is a key figure in our future plans

Grigg – has been disappointing the last 2 weeks but is a class kid in my view

Wiggins – has come from nowhere to suddenly be a key part of our structure as a lead-up HFF. Also, in recent times has been among our more consistent players and is really the heart of this team. Have him as a lock in because of the important role he plays

HIGHLY RATED BUT UNPROVEN

Yarran

GOOD B GRADERS

Simpson – kicking holds him back, esp on goal

Hadley – real quality but lack of pace and recent inability to break the tag holds him back. Exclusion from LOCK IN group might surprise some, but I just think his last 2 weeks have been poor and coupled with his lack of pace I have him in this category. Has missed so much football so it’s hard to say exactly where he’s at, so if he blitzes the next 2 games, I will change my rating

Thornton – safe but doesn’t take the game on which I think is becoming increasingly important in a defender. First person down back to coast, and chip it sideways

Houlihan – talented but slow

Carrazzo – ball magnet but no hurt factor in his usage so not sure midfield is his spot. Was exposed down back in 2008 so not sure that’s his spot either.

DEVELOPING YOUNGSTERS GROUP A

Bower – up and down this year and still skinny after 4 pre-seasons. Won’t ever be a KPP unless he can put on some weight. Flanker?

Russell – does the defensive jobs most weeks and can play the lead-up HFF role. Will he ever truly blossom though? Riley thinks so, but some fans would disagree

Cloke – has improved, provides the hard body for crash n bash, and is taking good marks more regularly, but still not kicking many goals and lack of pace was exposed against Sydney. Might surprise some to learn he’s still a bit of a baby in AFL terms, hence he goes in this category.

Jacobs – has done well so far but doesn’t have the athletic attributes of Warnock, Hampson and Kruezer, and is not a huge possession getter thus far, so could be good ruck back-up if the other more gifted ruck prospects develop

DEVELOPING YOUNGSTERS GROUP B

Austin – looks a nice kick, and is agile, and does well at CHB in the VFL, but has been exposed 1 on 1

Browne – solid, safe type, but maybe lacks that something special? Not quick.

Armfield – quick and a good runner and has improved his kicking but still in that unsure group until he breaks through

Anderson – hard and quick but poor kick

Joseph – did well on Ablett Jnr and has shown a bit but looks to be tiring so jury still deliberating

Hampson – BOG in last VFL game was just what fans wanted to see. Huge potential but has lots to learn.

DISCARDS STILL UNSURE OF

Johnstone – good kick but not convinced of his defensive abilities and hardness

Bentley – didn’t kick well in pre-season but is a good build and can find it so I haven’t totally written him off yet, however club don’t seem to rate him as high as Garlett, Jacobs, Joseph and Robinson, at least not at the start of 2009

OLDER BUT MIGHT YET HAVE A ROLE TO PLAY

O’hAilpin – arguably still developing, can play various roles, and the fact he is 199cm makes it hard to discard him just yet

Bannister – no star but has done some good work in the past and has been good this year in VFL among the best in many games. Personally I am a bit surprised he hasn’t got a senior game so far this year.

KIDS WITH SERIOUS PROMISE

Garlett – X Factor. Would be surprised if he doesn’t make it because he has shown he has a touch of class and has pace. Needs to develop a bit though, in both build and learning the basics.

Robinson – not sure he is in the top 5% in terms of class, but he certainly is a goer and his defensive pressure and second efforts are top 1%. Is a good kick from what I have seen and that’s important

INJURY PRONE NEED TO PLAN WITHOUT

Walker – was starting to look like he was about to finally step up like Betts has this year, but repeated shoulder injuries are a massive concern

UNKNOWN QUANTITIES

Ellard
Stanton
Hill
Tiller
O’Keefe

HAVEN’T FIRED A SHOT

Hartlett – how long do we have to wait for this guy to show something?

Edwards – hasn’t done enough

Pfeiffer – poor kick

GAME HAS PASSED THEM BY

Fisher – watching him last year he looked to be a struggler rather than a player for the future. Seems club think the same thing as he is on the outer these days

Bentick – injury doesn’t help his cause. May yet have something to offer because of his hard-ball getting ability, but slowness means very unlikely