Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
I knew that Aussie Rules was earmarked as the colony's (NSW) chosen football code, and in a quick twist with a few coups like poaching a few Rugby Union greats, and an avid Australian Rules fan turned to Rugby League.

And an encounter with a shark in Sydney Harbour as well - I can remember reading about this somewhere - that an VFA official cut short his visit in Sydney (in around the 1880s) when he was due to meet some Sydney football officials - he was taken on a cruise about Sydney Harbour and their was an incident with a shark that so shook him up he cut short his visit and returned to Melbourne quick smart.

I do some research on this later tonight at home through my volumes because I am sure I have read this story somewhere. :?

I new I would find the reference - in Keith Dunstan's Book "The Paddock that grew" (revised edition 19974 - page 245 - he refers to a visit by George Coulthard (probably in reference to Carlton's tour of NSW in 1877:

The game up to this date had not spread to other colonies, but Phil Sheridan, a trustee of the Sydney Cricket Ground, became very interested. He invited George Coulthard, one of the best exponents of Victorian football, to go to Sydney with the idea of establishing it there. But Coulthard had an unfortunate experience. His host invited to join a fishing expedition in Sydney Harbour. While sitting on the side of the boat with his coat almost trailing in the water a savage shark seized the coat tails. If he had not parted company with the coat he would have been pulled into the water. This was all too much for Mr Coulthard and he promptly returned to Melbourne. So it could be argued that but for an unpleasant shark Australian Rules could be a major code in Sydney today.

However it seems Dunstan's view of Carlton's tour of NSW by this description gives little credit to the interest in the tour as indicated in "The Blue Boys" - by Brian Hansen and his description of Carlton's tour in 1877 on page 37 of his book.

He talks about crowds of 5000 at the Albert Cricket Ground - and the fact that Carlton played 2 games against the Waratah side - one played under Rugby rules which Carlton lost (but not disgraced) and the second game played under Australian Rules which Carlton won by 6 goals to nil.

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:16 pm 
John James

AGRO wrote:
AGRO wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
I knew that Aussie Rules was earmarked as the colony's (NSW) chosen football code, and in a quick twist with a few coups like poaching a few Rugby Union greats, and an avid Australian Rules fan turned to Rugby League.

And an encounter with a shark in Sydney Harbour as well - I can remember reading about this somewhere - that an VFA official cut short his visit in Sydney (in around the 1880s) when he was due to meet some Sydney football officials - he was taken on a cruise about Sydney Harbour and their was an incident with a shark that so shook him up he cut short his visit and returned to Melbourne quick smart.

I do some research on this later tonight at home through my volumes because I am sure I have read this story somewhere. :?

I new I would find the reference - in Keith Dunstan's Book "The Paddock that grew" (revised edition 19974 - page 245 - he refers to a visit by George Coulthard (probably in reference to Carlton's tour of NSW in 1877:

The game up to this date had not spread to other colonies, but Phil Sheridan, a trustee of the Sydney Cricket Ground, became very interested. He invited George Coulthard, one of the best exponents of Victorian football, to go to Sydney with the idea of establishing it there. But Coulthard had an unfortunate experience. His host invited to join a fishing expedition in Sydney Harbour. While sitting on the side of the boat with his coat almost trailing in the water a savage shark seized the coat tails. If he had not parted company with the coat he would have been pulled into the water. This was all too much for Mr Coulthard and he promptly returned to Melbourne. So it could be argued that but for an unpleasant shark Australian Rules could be a major code in Sydney today.

However it seems Dunstan's view of Carlton's tour of NSW by this description gives little credit to the interest in the tour as indicated in "The Blue Boys" - by Brian Hansen and his description of Carlton's tour in 1877 on page 37 of his book.

He talks about crowds of 5000 at the Albert Cricket Ground - and the fact that Carlton played 2 games against the Waratah side - one played under Rugby rules which Carlton lost (but not disgraced) and the second game played under Australian Rules which Carlton won by 6 goals to nil.

Sydney wasn't a happy hunting ground for G Coulthard. If I can quote from "The Courage Book of Australian Test Cricket 1877 - 1974" regarding a match in Sydney in 1878/9 between NSW and England.

"When New South Wales was none for nineteen in the second innings the Victorian umpire G. Coulthard, who had been accompanying the English side up country beyond the Blue Mountains, gave Murdoch run out. [Murdoch was NSW player] His decision created an uproar and an 'unruly element' invaded the field. NSW and Australian captain David Gregory disputed Coulthard's decision. After a discussion with Gregory, Lord Harris returned to the pitchand while shielding Coulthard was struck by a 'larrikin'."

Another interesting aspect to this is that the umpire at the other end was Edmund Barton who was to become Australia's first prime minister.

Basically a ground invasion ensued, and Test Cricket between Australia and England was endangered.

So not only did Coulthard snuff out AFL in Sydney, he nearly buggered up Test Cricket as well!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:28 am 
www.blueseum.org

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-read_artic ... ticleId=84

We think that, thanks to blueycarlton, we've resolved one of the mysteries from this article of a few years ago. The team image listed 2 players by the name of McKenzie, but we could not find a listing of them in the player guide. Instead, one McKenzie - the second one (down the bottom, right) looks actually like forward Wally McKechnie...

From the Blueseum