Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:58 pm 
www.blueseum.org

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php? ... al+leaders

Pretty impressive average disposals count in his first / only year. Seemed he knew how to find the ball. Note who was #5, one spot below James.

From the Blueseum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:36 pm 
Rod Ashman

The Blueseum wrote:
Pretty impressive average disposals count in his first / only year. Seemed he knew how to find the ball. Note who was #5, one spot below James.

Yeah but the bloke in 5th found the ball from the back pocket and played 20 games as opposed to 12 to keep that average up!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:01 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

He reminded me a bit of Luke Blackwell....not quick.....not a good kick....(like his Dad).....and didn't hurt the opposition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:43 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

verbs wrote:
Something must've been up for him not to be persevered with. He currently has the 10th best possession average of anyone who has played for the Blues since 1986. And that includes one game where he only got two possessions. 33 in his last game too.

I remember a classic Blues News article about him. I can't quite recall the specifics but it was something along the lines that when he was at school, his school footy team beat their record for goals scored in a match which had been set previously by John James and his schoolmates. And Michael beat John's individual goals in a game record with something crazy like 30 goals.

Would definitely make a great Blueseum article.

As a kid at St Pats Ballarat in the sixties, we used to pass the team photos several times a day. The 1952 team photo was outside the entrance to the juniors' end of the dining room at the time. The photo had written beside it in white, 'SPC 52-51 to Ballarat High School 0-1' as I recall. John James played CHF that day and kicked 35 goals. Legend had it that he didn't always play forward but the then coach, Brother W.T. O'Malley, who coached the footy team there to about twenty-five of their 49 consecutive BPS premierships, put him at CHF to set a goalkicking record. What has happened since then, others will know but if someone has broken that record, I am not aware. Somewhere under the house I have the book on the history of SPC from 1897 to 2000-odd. If I ever find it, I'll look up John's boy in it. Watch this space but don't hold your collective breaths for a result.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:50 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Blue Sombrero wrote:
verbs wrote:
Something must've been up for him not to be persevered with. He currently has the 10th best possession average of anyone who has played for the Blues since 1986. And that includes one game where he only got two possessions. 33 in his last game too.

I remember a classic Blues News article about him. I can't quite recall the specifics but it was something along the lines that when he was at school, his school footy team beat their record for goals scored in a match which had been set previously by John James and his schoolmates. And Michael beat John's individual goals in a game record with something crazy like 30 goals.

As a kid at St Pats Ballarat in the sixties, we used to pass the team photos several times a day. The 1952 team photo was outside the entrance to the juniors' end of the dining room at the time. The photo had written beside it in white, 'SPC 52-51 to Ballarat High School 0-1' as I recall. John James played CHF that day and kicked 35 goals. Legend had it that he didn't always play forward but the then coach, Brother W.T. O'Malley, who coached the footy team there to about twenty-five of their 49 consecutive BPS premierships, put him at CHF to set a goalkicking record. What has happened since then, others will know but if someone has broken that record, I am not aware. Somewhere under the house I have the book on the history of SPC from 1897 to 2000-odd. If I ever find it, I'll look up John's boy in it. Watch this space but don't hold your collective breaths for a result.

Is nine years too long to hold one's breath?

The classic match against WCE is currently on the Carlton website, the same match Michael only got two possessions. Must have been injured that day, along with Silvagni. Amazing we held on to win.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:38 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Sombrero wrote:
verbs wrote:

Hey Blue Sombrero, did you see or play in the game when Monivae College Hamilton came to Ballarat and drew with St Pats in around 1965/6? St Pats hadn't been beaten for years. Monivae have a few players who went on to play VFL footy - Paul Cranage (Collingwood) Mick and Hugh Delahunty (Essendon* and Collingwood) Barry Grinter (Essendon*).

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:44 pm 
www.blueseum.org

verbs wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
verbs wrote:

The classic match against WCE is currently on the Carlton website, the same match Michael only got two possessions. Must have been injured that day, along with Silvagni. Amazing we held on to win.

#bestbump

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:43 am 
Stephen Kernahan

verbs wrote:

In 1951 or 52, John James kicked 35 goals in a single game playing CHF.
The team photo for that year used to be mounted outside the entrance to the boarders dining room. The team was coached by the legendary Reverend Brother WT O'Malley whom I mentioned eslewhere yesterday.
I know nothing about his son but Shaun Grigg captained St Pats as well.

Post subject: Michael James
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Brother O'Malley had a son!?

At St Pat's.. nothing surprises

:lol:

Go you good things

Post subject: Re: Michael James
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:50 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

billc3 wrote:

Go you good things

Ouch!
Grammar police!
Not that I can complain, I've been known to be one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:11 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Sombrero wrote:
billc3 wrote:

Go you good things

Ouch!
Grammar police!
Not that I can complain, I've been known to be one.
Sorry BS.... couldn't resist.... Both the grammar and the shot at the Brothers

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
verbs wrote:

You're no fun.

Good story.

You're a footy Pearler BS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

verbs wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
verbs wrote:

You're more [REDACTED] up than the rest of us tragics remembering something si vague, the 2 disposals not Silvagni.
It must have been an important day for you to remember that.
What did she do to you?

Great post :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

NTBlue wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
verbs wrote:

Hey Blue Sombrero, did you see or play in the game when Monivae College Hamilton came to Ballarat and drew with St Pats in around 1965/6? St Pats hadn't been beaten for years. Monivae have a few players who went on to play VFL footy - Paul Cranage (Collingwood) Mick and Hugh Delahunty (Essendon** and Collingwood) Barry Grinter (Essendon**).

Hi, there, NT Blue. Sorry to take so long. Just got back from an epic trip to Ireland and the USA and haven't been on here for a couple of months. Just saw your post.
Yes, I did see it. Actually St Pats lost the BPS in both 1961 (Ballarat Grammar) and 62 (Ballarat College) but in 1963 they carried all before them thanks to several players who went on to play in the VFL and VFA so God was replaced in his heaven. They were up and down a bit after that but still managed to win everything. Luckily they didn't play Assumption at that time as Assumption was absolutely bristling with future VFL players.
Monivae College at that time had a few Nauruan boys playing in it. If I recall, the college was practically overrun with them thanks to the phosphate royalties. I assume you were there at the time. We had a lot of boarders from the western district in those days. I suppose Monivae did too.
I went to Monivae once. I suppose there was a return match. It was a pretty new school if my memory serves me correctly.

Last edited by Blue Sombrero on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:48 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
verbs wrote:

You're no fun.

Good story.

You're a footy Pearler BS

Thanks, Bondi.
I just looked up the school history book and not only is there no mention of John James's goalkicking record in a single game, there is no mention of it ever being beaten. There is a mention of that season, though. To get some perspective, in 1952 there were four schools in the Ballarat Public Schools (BPS) competition. (It expanded to five during the sixties when Ballarat East High School was opened and where ironically I did my first lateral meniscus at the princely age of 17 but that's another story altogether.)
The BPS fixture required each school to play each other home and away and the winner was decided on wins, losses and if needs be, percentage.
In the six games they played in the BPS that year, 1952 John James kicked 83 goals, setting a record for the comp that may never have been broken, although I recall one Paul Shannon regularly kicking 10-15 in about 1968 while his Lebanese father stood on the sidelines shouting,
"That's a my boy." but that's also another story.
In one of the six games in 1952, James kicked the aforementioned 35 against the hapless Ballarat High School when he was moved to Centre Half Forward for the express purpose of kicking a mountain of goals. That upped his overall average but in the other five games, he averaged a lazy 9 per game from (wait for it) Centre Half Back. BTW the SPC oval is almost the same size as the MCG. If I recall, it's two yards shorter.
Here's another piece of info about that 1952 St Pat's team. It also had Brian Gleeson in it. Gleeson went on to win the Brownlow playing with Melbourne in 1957, I think it was.

Thanks to you lot I had an enjoyable evening wading through the old Alma Mater's history. Sorry about the lack of info on Michael but as John was and is a famous Carlton man, I thought I'd add to the story and the legend that is John James.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:15 pm 
www.blueseum.org

Trove is your friend.

The 35 goals is mentioned in the following article.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/artic ... rchLimits=

Kicked 12 in the first quarter. Slacked off from there.

St Pat's had not lost a game during the season since 1904?!?

Post subject: Michael James
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

Just saw this thread ... re M James he just loved getting on the grog way more than playing AFL.. he could play but!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:21 am 
Stephen Kernahan

The Blueseum wrote:
Trove is your friend.

The 35 goals is mentioned in the following article.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/artic ... rchLimits=

Kicked 12 in the first quarter. Slacked off from there.

St Pat's had not lost a game during the season since 1904?!?

Thanks for that.
Dunno about the 1904 bit.
The school photos provide a constant record of their footy and other history from it's commencement as Holy Ghost College in 1897. They line the hallways all over the college. Like Hogwarts.
Someone must have gone and checked.