Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Battle of the midfields
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:00 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

We've talked a lot in here about the belief that our midfield in a few years should be the best in the league whilst Geelong's is clearly the leader at the moment.

Just skimming through the AFL stats and came across an interesting thing. Of the top 25 disposal winners this season five were from Geelong and five were from Carlton.

40% from just two clubs.

Bulldogs and Tiges have three each but no other club has more than two.

For the record:

Geelong

Corey - 640
Bartel - 612
Selwood - 534
Enright - 517
Ablett - 508

Carlton

Murphy - 542
Carrazzo - 537
Stevens - 517
Judd - 508
Scotland - 503

You can read all sorts of things into those stats if you want but it's a curious thing whichever way you look at it.

Mort Sahl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:19 pm 
Horrie Clover

Interesting stat, but we all know its not about how many disposals you get, its about how you use the ball, or how you got it in the first place (eg. contested)

This rendering a midfielder like Carrotts way down the ranks, & pushing someone like Gibbo up.

Still, we will undoubtedly have a formidable midfield in the near future, one that would rival Geelong's current talent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

But but but.. what about the Bummers... They have Davey, Jetta and the Pizza Face..... :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:29 pm 
Harry Vallence

GWS wrote:
We've talked a lot in here about the belief that our midfield in a few years should be the best in the league whilst Geelong's is clearly the leader at the moment.

Just skimming through the AFL stats and came across an interesting thing. Of the top 25 disposal winners this season five were from Geelong and five were from Carlton.

40% from just two clubs.

For the record:

Geelong

Corey - 640
Bartel - 612
Selwood - 534
Enright - 517
Ablett - 508

Carlton

Murphy - 542
Carrazzo - 537
Stevens - 517
Judd - 508
Scotland - 503

You can read all sorts of things into those stats if you want but it's a curious thing whichever way you look at it.

Yeah, numbers can be misleading ............ If you took them at face value then Judd would be our 4th string midfielder and not even in the top 5 midfielders in the comp.

When Carazzo gets the ball, you dont know what he will do with it. If Judd or Ablett gets the ball then you know something special is going to happen.

I would be more interested in Contested Posessions, Effeciency and hard ball gets than pure numbers. Numbers have no meaning without context ............

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:49 pm 
Horrie Clover

coryne wrote:
GWS wrote:

40% from just two clubs.

For the record:

Geelong

Corey - 640
Bartel - 612
Selwood - 534
Enright - 517
Ablett - 508

Carlton

Murphy - 542
Carrazzo - 537
Stevens - 517
Judd - 508
Scotland - 503

Yeah, numbers can be misleading ............ If you took them at face value then Judd would be our 4th string midfielder and not even in the top 5 midfielders in the comp.

When Carazzo gets the ball, you dont know what he will do with it. If Judd or Ablett gets the ball then you know something special is going to happen.

I would be more interested in Contested Posessions, Effeciency and hard ball gets than pure numbers. Numbers have no meaning without context ............

did i say that??? I.....I'm sure i said something ....like that.... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:01 pm 
Robert Walls

It's not how big your &*)% is, it's how you use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:36 pm 
Ken Hunter

..i reckon carrots gets a poor run.. ..considering he played 1 game less, and had a slow start to the year in the BP, i think he did extremely well to cover alot of ground to garner that much possession.. ..he prolly runs the most out of any of them.. ..i reckon the inclusion of judd and return from injury of stevo, plus murphy have pushed him right out of the centre mix, but i think he deserves to be in there.. ..he's better by hand with his disposal(than he is by foot), doesn't get tackled too easily either, and has a defensive side..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:23 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

We'll have a great midfield once more accountable and athletic types in Grigg, Walker and Gibbs have replaced Stevens, Carrazzo and Scotland in the top five.

And we add a sixth midfielder who isn't Daniel Kerr....

Add Browne and away we go. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:21 pm 
Harry Vallence

MoriBlue wrote:
coryne wrote:
GWS wrote:

40% from just two clubs.

For the record:

Geelong

Corey - 640
Bartel - 612
Selwood - 534
Enright - 517
Ablett - 508

Carlton

Murphy - 542
Carrazzo - 537
Stevens - 517
Judd - 508
Scotland - 503

did i say that??? I.....I'm sure i said something ....like that.... :P

Yeah, Yeah, sue me for plagiarism :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:40 pm 
Craig Bradley

Big Kahuna Boot wrote:
..i reckon carrots gets a poor run.. ..considering he played 1 game less, and had a slow start to the year in the BP, i think he did extremely well to cover alot of ground to garner that much possession.. ..he prolly runs the most out of any of them.. ..i reckon the inclusion of judd and return from injury of stevo, plus murphy have pushed him right out of the centre mix, but i think he deserves to be in there.. ..he's better by hand with his disposal(than he is by foot), doesn't get tackled too easily either, and has a defensive side..
Bingo. He should be a major part of the midfield rotation.

We are Carlton, @#$%&! the rest !!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

Virgin Blue wrote:
It's not how big your &*)% is, it's how you use it.

that's what people with a small #$#@ say.

"His house looked like shit!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:25 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Virgin Blue has been found out. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:33 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

BlueIce wrote:
We'll have a great midfield once more accountable and athletic types in Grigg, Walker and Gibbs have replaced Stevens, Carrazzo and Scotland in the top five.

And we add a sixth midfielder who isn't Daniel Kerr....

Add Browne and away we go. 8)

+1

QFT

and all the other agreement thingies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:53 am 
Adrian Gallagher

have to ask or i'll never know... what's QFT stand for?

this forum is worse that jack nicholson's riddles sometimes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:07 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

QFT

Quite Fine Tenticles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:05 am 
Ken Hands

QFT

Queer Facts & Thoughts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:05 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Jarusa wrote:
QFT

Quite Fine Tenticles.

How do you typo a 'N' for a 'S'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:06 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

QFT

Quick Fire Ton

QFT

Quiet Fart Terror

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:19 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

teagueyubeauty wrote:
Big Kahuna Boot wrote:

Without being dissrespectful to both of you and Carrotts, I would like say the following:

The opposition let or prefer him to have the ball. The oppostion believe he is less likely to hurt you when the ball is in his hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:14 am 
Rod Ashman

woof wrote:
teagueyubeauty wrote:
Big Kahuna Boot wrote:

Without being dissrespectful to both of you and Carrotts, I would like say the following:

The opposition let or prefer him to have the ball. The oppostion believe he is less likely to hurt you when the ball is in his hands.

That is an absolute myth made up by the people that Carrots has proved wrong. First he was no good, then when he started racking up the possies people started using the old 'The opposition want him to get it so he turns it over' line which is just pathetic. Fact is Carazzo has no more clangers than any other average/elite midfielder and his efficiency is above average. Granted the opposition would rather him get it than Judd but that goes for every other player. Murphy's disposal was awful at times this year, way way worse than Carrazzo's. Are you saying he (Murphy) gets his high numbers because the opposition coaches want him to get the ball and turn it over too? Fact is you can't tag every player and Carrazzo gets all his possies because he's prepared to work his butt off to provide an option as well as getting the hard ball when required.