Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:24 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Quote:
Carlton’s Nick Stevens has also been offered a one-match sanction with an early plea for striking Rick Ladson.

Stevens risks a two-match ban if he unsuccessfully challenges the ruling.

Yeah - that's fair enough...you can't hit girls - we all learned that when we were younger. Surely Mr and Mrs. Stevens (Samantha?) told young Nick "You can't hit girls, Nick - you're a boy and you're stronger than them, so you can't hit girls...*snip* are ok to whack- but not girls"

Seems the message fell on deaf ears. In 2002, Nick was found guilty of striking Nick Riewoldt and a year later received 2 matches for striking Brodie Holland.

In 2008, Stevo was reported for striking Alan Didak. At least one part of the message got through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Anyone brave enough to suggest a winner for Mike and Dan's final POTW :?: :shock:

My vote goes to Austin for getting Williams with a good fair bump that tosser felt. :twisted:

Would like to see Austin interviewed (if he hasn't been interviewed before :? ) and see that bump again. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:33 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Just watched "On the Couch"

They showed Mitchell lift his elbow & just missed AB's head.

They said if he had connected he would have missed the finals.

It goes without saying that we know who Mitchell's coach is :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Laza wrote:
So am I meant to hate St Kilda because they put Barry Lawrence on the mark when Peter Hudson was lining up for goal number 151?

No your're meant to say how stupid Peter Hudson was to fall for the oldest full backs trick in the book of taking a few steps back on the mark. :lol:

I didnt see anyone else but Bob Murray playing on Peter Hudson that day and it was a Grand Final and Hawthorn only won it by 7 points.

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Just got back from a great 2 week Carlton seniors and reserves 'fix' in Melbourne. Geez Visy Park is fast becoming a different place; bloody amazing change from the past.

From the round 22 game, what stood out for me moving forward is our lack of pace to defend in our forwardline with Cloke and Fisher in there.

Pace is the name of the game in this era. Hawks started their run from the FB line and were able to target both Fisher and Cloke's opponent as the go to man on the way out.

I thought the first time this happened was dumb and lazy footy from both Cloke and Fisher, and then it became obvious what was unfolding. They didn't have the pace to keep up with their opponent to force them towards the boundary, let alone keep up with them.

From memory, I witnessed 5 goals created or kicked by Cloke's and Fisher's opponents. Supporters around me in the members, watched out for this, and even Clokey and Fish fans started to see the obvious.

It was very obvious of our need for Betts and Walker in the forwardline to control their opponents on their way out with pace being their defensive weapon.

Sorry, but Fisher and Cloke are not the future. I don't mind retaining them on the list (at least Fisher) for depth until we can replace them with tall forwards with genuine pace and in the case of Fisher with some added physical attributes.

The modern game is far to fast for these 2 in our forwardline.

I'll give Pfieffer the benefit of the doubt; perhaps due to little senior game time. Synbad predicted Pfieffer would play all 22 games at the start of the season, so I was willing to enjoy the ride. I will say this though: I can't see what value Pfieffer adds in the first 22. All the talk out pace, grunt imo is overrated and he certainly doesn't read the game well at this young age; so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt due to age. At this stage if I had to choose between Russell and Pfieffer (regardless of the case of opportunity) I would take Russell hands down.

AS for Stevens' effort; he was Bateman conscious and lost the game between the ears. Stevens' didn't really bust a gut at all, and was the glaring reason we lost it in the middle; really disappointed in his (lack of) effort in this game.

This brings me to the argument of footballers vs athletes...the answer is we need supremely athletic footballers; footballers being players with skills to execute accurately.

If we are to bridge the gap between ourselves and Hawks in 2009, we need an injection of pace, and that will be improved by dropping slow players, and a game plan which requires pace to run and carry and to deliver to players who can do the same. I hope Ratts has this on his agenda for season 2009.

Overall, was very happy with the kids on the night and the team over the course of the year. We have what it takes to be in the top 8 in 2008, but we will need more than that if we are going to do more than make up the numbers in the 8 in 2009.

IMO, all we need is a very good ruckman to share the load with Hampson,and to enable Kreuzer to play CHF. At this stage, I'd go for Warnock, with Brogan a distant 2nd...or White in the PSD if we can't get a good 200cm+ ruckman.

The rest of the team will improve another 5% over the preseason. If Setanta recovers well from surgery (and we retain him), I believe we have the necessary artillery to form a great back 6 and free up Waite onto a wing to provide support forward and back.

My ultimate dream over the trade period would be to get the young Warnock and Kerr, and I would be very happy with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:05 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The game showed a few things:

Fish is stop-gap only. Sad to lose a servant who battled through the Pagan era, but we've gotta move fwd.

Pfieffer is very average skills wise, and decision making is ordinary. Can't see a future.

Thornton was in cruise-mode and has been for a few weeks. Improved a bit in the 3rd when game was over, but shirked it a few times in the 1st half. If Setanta comes back, he's not in our best backline.

Missed Scotto's run and dare I say it, Carrot's ball winning ability (although what he would have done with it is debatable). Eddie would have been handy to chase and harrass Hodge.

JR..........well he's JR is all I can say (make your own mind up whichever side of the JR fence you sit on) :roll:

We're exactly 2 years behind the Dawks, which means we may play them in 010 Grannie, if Geelong fade a bit of course.

Ando was good, and think he'll make it. He IS a part of our best backline.

Overall a shite way to finish what was a much improved year. Can see us winning 12-13 next year and making the 8.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:35 am 
Harry Vallence

This game stuck in my head recently so rewatched it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAjJVeniBRs

I do miss a FF who plays out of the square and runs at the ball carrier (oh and midfielders that can hit this FF helps too)

#memories

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:25 am 
Stephen Kernahan

DocSherrin III wrote:
Quote:
Carlton’s Nick Stevens has also been offered a one-match sanction with an early plea for striking Rick Ladson.

Yeah - that's fair enough...you can't hit girls - we all learned that when we were younger. Surely Mr and Mrs. Stevens (Samantha?) told young Nick "You can't hit girls, Nick - you're a boy and you're stronger than them, so you can't hit girls...*snip* are ok to whack- but not girls"

Doc with his time machine.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:00 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Heavs wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:
Quote:

Doc with his time machine.

Uncanny

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16