Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Now that finals are only mathematically possible, i.e. almost impossible is it time to have a bit of a look at the list?

Silly you might say, what's the use?

Some good players have had debuts very very late in the season.

Ang Christou, Round 24 1991.
Brett Ratten, Round 22 1990. :wink:
Andrew Carrazzo, Round 21, 2004
Ern Henfry, Round 17 (2nd last round), 1944

Who do you think might either be worth a crack to see if they have got anything to offer before being delisted or else give them a taste of the big time late in the season already knowing they will be on the list in 2009?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:11 pm 
Bruce Doull

Maybe now that finals are out of the question, Cain could be given a run as a lead-up HF, or FF?

*runs*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:22 pm 
Serge Silvagni

as much as I reject the premise... give aisake a run and let him go for it... what can it hurt? him vs leeunberger? i know about charman, but... some guys are built for the big time. I know this for a fact - not just a hypothetical. I live this kinda stuff...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:27 pm 
Rod Ashman

Aisaike.

Ackland.

Backwell.

The first was touted as part of a starting ruck duo this time last year.

The last two have been playing well in the Ants, and have deserved a call up.

Will any of the three be around next year? Straw poll says no - but they deserve a crack now that the seasons been iced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:32 am 
Wayne Johnston

AJ or SJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:34 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

AISAKE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:22 am 
Stephen Silvagni

What are the rules for promoting rookies this late in the season? Was Carrazzo promoted prior to his debut?

Both Ang and Ratts made their debuts in the last game of the year as noted...did both break their arm? Or just Angelo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:27 am 
Rod Ashman

Not just about giving some players a go but trying players in different positions to see if it makes a difference.

Drop
Russell, Fisher, Wiggins, Saddington, Scotland, Stevens (have a break now and start pre season early), Jamo (needs a tidy up on shoulder).

The others the MC have seen enough to make a decision on their futures.

In over the last two games:

Austin (play him on Brown and Buddy, great experience)
Anderson and Browne (play them permantly in defence and leave them)
Betts (play on ball or even running out of BP)
Blackwell (give him a good run on ball)
Cloke (2 FULL games as a leading CHF)
Hampson/Aisake and Jacobs as ruckman (Kruezer FF, would even consider resting Fev to make sure we kick it to someone else)
Jackson (running HB)
Pfieffer/AJ (good run on ball)
Thornton (Play fwd, was a very good junior fwd)

It is amazing what you can get out of the last two games, we may unveil something special we didn't realise we had?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:54 am 
Harry Vallence

cj69 wrote:

Agree 100%. The guy is a great kick at goal and we desparately need another forward target to make us less Fevola-centric.

NOW YOU'RE JUST SOME CLUB THAT I USED TO KNOW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:58 am 
Rod Ashman

cj69 wrote:
Not just about giving some players a go but trying players in different positions to see if it makes a difference.

Drop
Russell, Fisher, Wiggins, Saddington, Scotland, Stevens (have a break now and start pre season early), Jamo (needs a tidy up on shoulder).

Hampson/Aisake and Jacobs as ruckman (Kruezer FF, would even consider resting Fev to make sure we kick it to someone else)
Jackson (running HB)

It is amazing what you can get out of the last two games, we may unveil something special we didn't realise we had?

Errr, Bower?

CJ, just to restate my position on this. Aussie has a lot of potential and a possible CHB in a flag team. Liked his Ants game the other day. Also thought Bower was very good for a guy who was secong game back playing in the slops, as it seemed that he played on the full back line, which really is not his go. I stand to be corrected on this, though.

BUT, in a couple of senior games this yr, Aussie has been found out (as was Bower last year) - refer Crows v Moran, the reason why he was dropped in the first place. I'm not fussed though as he's a bottom aged second year player and we have time on our hands. Plenty of time.

Bower was a revelation before injured, showing all the benefits of having a few years in the system. He could well be our CHB next year (was All Australian in this possie), so I argue strongly that he has first digs ahead of Aussie at this stage. If MC can fit both in, all the better.

BTW, based on what I saw earlier in the year, I reckon Bower is a good option for Buddy at this stage. Tex my No 1 option, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:01 am 
Wayne Johnston

Aisake and Jacobs, seems we've already given everyone else on the list a crack in the seniors except these two (and Benjamin) and from all reports both deserve at least two games to see what they've got, then at least if they are discarded they can at least say they had their chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:08 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I'd love to see Aisakie get a run........... but it just aint gonna happen. Clearly he is not liked.

Which is a pitty cause the kid could be anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:24 am 
Rod Ashman

Blues Clues wrote:
cj69 wrote:

Drop

Jackson (running HB)

Errr, Bower?

CJ, just to restate my position on this. Aussie has a lot of potential and a possible CHB in a flag team. Liked his Ants game the other day. Also thought Bower was very good for a guy who was secong game back playing in the slops, as it seemed that he played on the full back line, which really is not his go. I stand to be corrected on this, though.

BUT, in a couple of senior games this yr, Aussie has been found out (as was Bower last year) - refer Crows v Moran, the reason why he was dropped in the first place. I'm not fussed though as he's a bottom aged second year player and we have time on our hands. Plenty of time.

Bower was a revelation before injured, showing all the benefits of having a few years in the system. He could well be our CHB next year (was All Australian in this possie), so I argue strongly that he has first digs ahead of Aussie at this stage. If MC can fit both in, all the better.

BTW, based on what I saw earlier in the year, I reckon Bower is a good option for Buddy at this stage. Tex my No 1 option, though.

BC, I am a big fan of Bower but to get something good we have to trade something good. If McKinley (and we need his type) comes home Bower may be the right trade. He is a WA boy and what WC need.

I believe for our structure we need Austin & Setanta as our big blokes. We then need a third option which is Jamo (Waite as a back up). To me he is a bit similar to Bower and Thornton.

My concern is this year (with GC and West Sydney coming in) it will be our last chance to get some players we need and are still young.

I agree with your comments about Walker. I have always believed that with his size and mobility he would be a fantastic CHB, a better version of Campbell Brown. If we got McKinley he could stay back there.

Mind you if Bower stays I would be happy as well. I didn't want Kennedy to go either but we did pretty well out of the trade! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

Jarusa wrote:

Didn't he get a NRS nomination that round?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:40 pm 
Rod Ashman

i'd like to see
-action jackson
-blackwell
-from what i've been hearing sj and aj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:26 pm 
Ken Hunter

SparkyBlue wrote:
Aisaike.

Ackland.

Backwell.

Is Brett still on our list? :wink:

Would like to see Luke get a go though.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:57 pm 
Horrie Clover

cj69 wrote:

Drop

Jackson (running HB)

Done and done. Like the sound of giving blakcwell and Jackson another shot. They are both still sooo young.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

I agree! You sold me on Ern Henfry!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

darknavy wrote:
Jarusa wrote:

Didn't he get a NRS nomination that round?

Was he eligible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:11 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

cj69 wrote:
Blues Clues wrote:
cj69 wrote:

Drop

Jackson (running HB)

Errr, Bower?

BC, I am a big fan of Bower but to get something good we have to trade something good. If McKinley (and we need his type) comes home Bower may be the right trade. He is a WA boy and what WC need.

I believe for our structure we need Austin & Setanta as our big blokes. We then need a third option which is Jamo (Waite as a back up). To me he is a bit similar to Bower and Thornton.

My concern is this year (with GC and West Sydney coming in) it will be our last chance to get some players we need and are still young.

I agree with your comments about Walker. I have always believed that with his size and mobility he would be a fantastic CHB, a better version of Campbell Brown. If we got McKinley he could stay back there.

Mind you if Bower stays I would be happy as well. I didn't want Kennedy to go either but we did pretty well out of the trade! :wink:

I'd rather keep Bower and trade Thornton. I think Thornton would have more currency and is still young.

Bring on AISAKE and I don't think we can promote Jacobs (but would like to see him have a go.

AISAKE!!!! Bring it on.