Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: THE PROBLEM(s)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:42 pm 
Garry Crane

Its easy to identify but harder to remedy.
*** Ruckman - If they are not absolutely playing 100% then we get smashed. at least they will improve

*** Brett Thornton's - Disposal is terrible and his fumbling often costly. Is in our best 22 but should not be used in the "quarter-back" role as disposal isnot ggod enough.

*** To much Fev reliance and no reliable alternative forward line structure.

*** Our kick ins are attrocious we almost never score directly from a kick in

*** Murphy is a gun and is in our best 5 players but does not get help from team-mates to break a tag (eg players providing screens etc)

***Our defence is brittle but improving which is very pleasing however Waite is not good enough to hold down a key position defensively against a gun forward. Has been beaten at least half dozen times this year.

*** Kicking for goal accuracy breaks our hearts, should have been 5 goals up at quarter time if had kicked straight. 8 consecutive points.

We are improving and I am sure we will play finals in 2009, and 2010/2011 we will be top 4 however this year we are definately not a fnals side. Lets enjoy the year but not kid ourselves about our shortcomings

P.S. there are lots of positives however I am not going to go into these right now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:46 pm 
Geoff Southby

I almost put this in the match day thread, after seeing the channel seven plays of the week at half fime, could do with a Dale Thomas type player in the forward line ie a non key forward who can take a contested grab...

*duks for cover*

Btw, I'd still take Murphy at number one, would have been good to have the first two picks, however...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:49 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Lowey_47 wrote:
I almost put this in the match day thread, after seeing the channel seven plays of the week at half fime, could do with a Dale Thomas type player in the forward line ie a non key forward who can take a contested grab...

*duks for cover*

Btw, I'd still take Murphy at number one, would have been good to have the first two picks, however...

contested grab, uncontested grab, any will do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:00 pm 
Harry Vallence

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Lowey_47 wrote:

*duks for cover*

contested grab, uncontested grab, any will do

Fisher takes em.....he just can't bloody kick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Lets develop our ruck division......and agree that a 195cm ruckman isn't even a band aid.

Waite did well...you can't stop what Reiwodt was served...but why waste a talent like Waite on him, when he could be on a wing without a peer in the world who can match him in that position.

Walker to take the other wing.

We need forward who can kick goals. There's a very good reason why Fev is the go to man. Fish, Russell and Wiggo are not our flag forwards. Edwards = Casper....I shouldn't say that because he may have been injured...if not, there's problems with his coach's game plan and his role in it or he's a ....MIA

Play Setanta...even on the bench...he's our security...as I always state...our insurance...when we need a really tall 199 cm defemder, or forward....there's nobody else like him.

I'm only guessing from a common layman's perpsective, but if what I see is correct and the MC are still guessing, well......

Well @#$%&! me swinging

Post subject: Re: THE PROBLEM(s)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:22 pm 
Geoff Southby

Headcutter wrote:
*** Brett Thornton's - Disposal is terrible and his fumbling often costly.

Can't and won't agree, he is often a one touch player who rarely fumbles. Thornton is a great defender, but not built for the really big guys.

To comment on your thread title if it wasn't made glaringly obvious tonight from watching Kosi and Reiwoldt go about it then I don't see what else can convince everyone the importance for Carlton to get a CHF......

We traded him away in Kennedy and I hope the best player left in the draft for us is a CHF.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:22 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We varied the fwd line delivery last week, but that was easier against B#tchmond, whose on-ballers are mainly crap. A lot of our entry this week was bombed, especially the 2nd quarter, which made it easy for StK to spoil and rebound from dsefence.

We seriously need a Milne of our own. A genuine small fwd. Eddie does it a bit but not regularly enough.

Our best side has 1AW, Bower, Hadley and a fit Hammer in it, and maybe Banno.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:29 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

The biggest problem is we have people who love to post absolute rubbish when we lose. Painful to read.

The best thing is, as we get better, they will crawl into their holes and only come out to post about how great we are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:37 pm 
Herald Sun columnist

I take comfort in knowing that they are on the way down and we are on the way up.

“It is a state of mind, a system of belief, a way of seeing the world, a deep faith that, because you are Carlton, you belong to something great.” - Mike Fitzpatrick articulating what Out of the Blue means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:44 pm 
Geoff Southby

We are DUC and we will make it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:08 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

verbs,

apart from the scathing remarks about Thornton and Waite (which I do not agree with) and perhaps our forwardline structure (when we don't have too many alternatives other than Waite there) there's not too much else to suggest its 'absolute rubbish'.

We need to improve, and that will not come from just experience and by solely relying on the list we have in 2008. Change in one form or another, or both is a constant and inevitable. We have to determine the changes required. Moreso the MC has to do that.

Why do you think we lost?

Because Cloke in the ruck was good and the answer for King and Kosi?
Because Fishers and Russells constant misses from close range don't matter much?
What? There's something wrong with suggesting players not playing tonight such as Setanta and Walker wouldn't bolster our strength?

I take your post as a cheap shot...without substance!

Still love yu though.

I'm very sensitive atm, and you're not helping. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:14 am 
Stephen Silvagni

There is no way in hell adding O'hAilpin and Walker to tonight's team would've meant a win.

Take a deep breath and reflect on these names:

Jamison
Browne
Grigg
Kreuzer
Anderson
Edwards

62 games between 6 players.

Get some perspective you lot! Reading this sort of crock is just infuriating. Do you lot actually know what's going on out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:17 am 
Harry Vallence

cheap is as cheap does..few things to be disappointed about prolly blowed a chance to play finals. But higher than any1 thought we would be and we all know we need more miles in the legs and another kp or 2.

We are where hawks were 2 yrs ago. Take the good and bad comments its all about having passion for ur club. Not taking cheap shots at who is the better supporter etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:22 am 
Wayne Johnston

We gave away 2yrs + 36 games per player, we had numerous players well down, plenty of costly turnovers that resulted in goals to the Saints, yet we were only 7pts down half way through the last quarter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:29 am 
Rod Ashman

verbs wrote:
Take a deep breath and reflect on these names:

Jamison
Browne
Grigg
Kreuzer
Anderson
Edwards

62 games between 6 players.

bloody hell, is that all?????

Jamo plays like he's been out there for a couple of seasons, and yes, i fully agree with the argument you are placing here, it does highlight how far some of these players (jamo, Krooze, Browne, Grigg to a lesser extent) have come in such a short space of time. warms the cockles of the heart for the future it does

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:32 am 
Stephen Silvagni

I reckon Grigg will be a surprise to many. I described him as "Martin Pike with brains" a while back. I think he may be even better to be honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:36 am 
Rod Ashman

verbs wrote:
I reckon Grigg will be a surprise to many. I described him as "Martin Pike with brains" a while back. I think he may be even better to be honest.

hahaha superb!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:42 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Only problem I saw tonight, was that the opportunity to play the game on our terms went begging when we failed to inflict score board pressure.

Regardless of who is in or out of our side, if you do not convert the energy expended to win the clearance and delivery into our forward 50 your already behind.

Had we converted accurately we should have led by at least 20 points at 1/4 time. In failing to do so gave the saints time to sit back and employ thier game plan. The flooding tactic stalled our momentum, but it was allowed to be played purely due to the fact that they weren't required to reduce a losing margin.

Flooding is employed by sides who are reluctant to release the ball quickly, and have no realy reason to do so (if they are in front). When they are trailing they require to move the ball quickly, in order to increase their opportunity to score.

As we did not enforce this change, the Saints continued with the flooding stategy throughout quarters 2 and 3. Regardless of our efforts in the last, we allowed the saints to score with little effort, even when they were flooding. This I should say is not the norm, and it is for this reason that I am disappointed with tonights results.

We should have dictated the terms, not the saints.

Keep the faith. Go Blues!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:51 am 
Rod Ashman

MIL wrote:
We varied the fwd line delivery last week, but that was easier against B#tchmond, whose on-ballers are mainly crap. A lot of our entry this week was bombed, especially the 2nd quarter, which made it easy for StK to spoil and rebound from dsefence.

We seriously need a Milne of our own. A genuine small fwd. Eddie does it a bit but not regularly enough.

Our best side has 1AW, Bower, Hadley and a fit Hammer in it, and maybe Banno.

Plus Armfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:01 am 
Bruce Comben

Whats going on with Hartlett, we need a big body at centre half forward !!

Bring back Walker and O'Halpin into our best available 22!!

We can beat the swans in melbourne next week, all this Fevola contract stuff is distracting the club away from playing finals, sort it out Fev !!

email: sabluesuits@hotmail.com