Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:44 am 
Rod Ashman

Aside from the issue that has hit the club this week - it has to be said that the Carlton Football CLub is living in 'strange times'.

The rebirth of a club.

Like a 'lil baby phoenix rising from the destruction caused - in equal parts - by the past administration, the AFL, the media and the opposition teams - Carlton has re-emerged from an abyss that would have devoured the club whole.

From the ashes has arisen a stable club, with stable finances. A team with potential. And most importantly a passionate supporter base, as without the supporters behind the club the future may still have been uncertain...

More postitive media than negative, a reversal from the past 5 years. The stigma of the 'bad club, what's next?' syndrome may take a while to wipe away, but every decent news report is a breath of fresh air to supporters longing for any sort of victory in the past 5 years.

We're knocking at the heels of the top 8. This may not translate to a finals appearance this year, but the signs are promising. The players are playing for the jumper - something no doubt reinforced by Brett Ratten.

And a team playing for the jumper spurred on by a manical crowd of devout Blues fans can produce amazing things. This is a strength that not many other clubs can claim.

I mentioned strange times.

We took success for granted, victory for granted - stability and a strong future for granted. I don't think we do anymore.

Instead, we cherish every victory - I see a club rise as one every match I attend (which is a lot). I see supporters ride the crest and fall with the team, together. And I see the pure elation on the faces of the players after a win and think "We MUST enjoy every second of this".

Success can be fleeting, but the synergy and the passion created by following a team you love can last a lifetime.

We've been through the bad times. There is nothing that could possibly be thrown at us that will dent our resolve.

17 will be sweet. Until then, just enjoy the ride.

:-D