Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 172  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:14 pm 
Harry Vallence

robertbb wrote:
To answer the question RE: Jack - I'm just not sure where he fits in.

What are his standout abilities?

He has a high footy IQ, and I'm told he's built his tank (he had to!) but:

- He's not quick or agile as a ball mover
- He's undersized and lacks separation/leap as a key forward
- Hard to tell from pics, but even if he's put on size he's undersized as an inside mid.. and frankly, we have better options in that position

RE: Macreadie, agree he showed signs but he's been out a while.

If he has his fitness base to the standard that will allow him to manage fatigue he could play a Jack Gunston type role for us

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Steve_C7 wrote:
robertbb wrote:

- Hard to tell from pics, but even if he's put on size he's undersized as an inside mid.. and frankly, we have better options in that position

If he has his fitness base to the standard that will allow him to manage fatigue he could play a Jack Gunston type role for us

I think we all need to see if Jack can do it before we really know.
He's a classic utility for mine. Not a KP, but a lead up for sure...if his running has improved match time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Jack showed glimpses yesterday's trial game against the Hawks.

Cuningham was the revelation and Walshy confirmed his status as possibly the best No 1 ever.
SPS is bonafide mid and LOB has stepped up and runs all day.

It would be interesting who one would select in the starting 18 Fasolo or Cunners as they both bring something different to the team. Cunners' speed is a vital ingredient for a pressure forward, and any elusive player with the ball.

People at the game told me they thought Jack looked better than Kennedy. Kennedy didn't get the ball that much.
Jack didn't see much ball in the first half, but did some really good things in the 2nd half.

The 2 lads who I know at the game were like TC posters with Jack: fan and the other not so much, and needs more proof.

I don't care who makes the best 22. May the best man win, but I think that players ranked 19- 25 are going to have to prove they deserve a spot in the 22.

Selection will be based on form at the time, not which pick they were drafted or how many preseasons they've done.

I just wouldn't be writing off any player in that 19-25 bracket, and that's after Docherty, Pickett and Willo have been taken off that list, so top 28.

The other interesting debate would be which one of Thomas, Jack or Kennedy would you select for round 1?

Post subject: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:48 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

bondiblue wrote:

Cuningham was the revelation and Walshy confirmed his status as possibly the best No 1 ever.

It would be interesting who one would select in the starting 18 Fasolo or Cunners as they both bring something different to the team. Cunners' speed is a vital ingredient for a pressure forward, and any elusive player with the ball.

People at the game told me they thought Jack looked better than Kennedy. Kennedy didn't get the ball that much.
Jack didn't see much ball in the first half, but did some really good things in the 2nd half.

The 2 lads who I know at the game were like TC posters with Jack: fan and the other not so much, and needs more proof.

I don't care who makes the best 22. May the best man win, but I think that players ranked 19- 25 are going to have to prove they deserve a spot in the 22.

Selection will be based on form at the time, not which pick they were drafted or how many preseasons they've done.

I just wouldn't be writing off any player in that 19-25 bracket, and that's after Docherty, Pickett and Willo have been taken off that list, so top 28.

The other interesting debate would be which one of Thomas, Jack or Kennedy would you select for round 1?

Jack is slowly building momentum. I like his intent. I’d keep him in the seniors and keep working him.

Kennedy needs to step up. Jury is out on him.

Thomas should be coaching, not playing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Jack is slowly building momentum. I like his intent. I’d keep him in the seniors and keep working him.

Kennedy needs to step up. Jury is out on him.

Thomas should be coaching, not playing.

Good onya Rexy.

Intent. Good word. Jack has made his intention known, or I think he has.

All 3 players imo are top 25/28 players on our list as of today.

We are just guessing just as any other forum or MC.
The MC know moe and I guess would measure intent.

For us its about pressure for spots.
And that measurement puts pressure on Thomas and Simmo.
They are bpth too important for now on direction, unless I'm believing too much that I'm hearing.
But at 32 and 35 years of age in 2019, we really shouldn't need them on the field at that age, and the class of players we have on our list.
I know Simmo is a freak. I have no problem with that. Just tells us our class list is still very very young.
Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:17 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Steve_C7 wrote:
robertbb wrote:

It would be interesting to know what age Gunston was when he became a Premiership player, the first time?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
robertbb wrote:

It would be interesting to know what age Gunston was when he became a Premiership player, the first time?

Gunston was in 21yo in his 3rd year in 2012 when he joined Hawks and played in that GF in a well established team, having given the flag in 2008 by Geelong :wink:

Delivery to him was sublime, in a amazing team 'subsided' by the AFL and he went on to:

2013 22 yo win Flag kicked 46 goals in 23 games
2014 23 yo win Flag kicked 57 goals in 23 games
2015 24 yo win flag kicked 57 goals in 24 games

Gunston now is 28 years old.

I reckon Jack could match that as a stay at home forward if Kreuzer Cripps Murphy SPS Walsh OBrien and Dow...and Ed and Setters can win the midfield and deliver it to the leading Jack, or Charlie or Curnow. Its a bonus if Jack can be thrown into the midfield too.

I'm not saying Jack is going to be like Gunston.
I'm saying opportunity firther up the ground gives Jack the opporuntiy to match or better Gunston.
Why? because he;s go the footy IQ and maybe his body has come of age.

I hope so.

Jack is pretty special ...and has time on his side. Especially this developing, very young side, at 22 yo.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:29 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

We have the most talented list in the league. The two things holding us back are conditioning (which we have now addressed but will take some time) and coaching (which should be addressed sooner rather than later)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:33 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Uncle Zel wrote:
We have the most talented list in the league. The two things holding us back are conditioning (which we have now addressed but will take some time) and coaching (which should be addressed sooner rather than later)

GWS , Collingwood and Richmond gave the flag to WC....

I'm super excited that I can see a potentially class onball unit that could play together for ten years.

Walsh Dow SPS
Cripps Setterfield Fisher
O'Brien Curnow Cunningham

Kennedy Stocker Polson Pickett Garlett Williamson

Setters looks like a beast with some X factor.

We need to find a Hayward type forward with the Crows pick.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:14 am 
Bruce Doull

Uncle Zel wrote:

Let’s not get too carried away just yet...

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:55 pm 
Craig Bradley

Kouta wrote:
We need to find a Hayward type forward with the Crows pick.

Yeah, I agree. Would make a huge difference to our forward line. Fasolo's obviously designed as the short-term solution.

I also hope we rotate Fisher, Cuningham and Dow through there a fair bit.

Not quite so sold on Polson, Gibbons and Ed as defensive forwards.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:35 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

My best back 6 when fit..

B. Simpson Weitering Docherty

HB. Macreadie Marchbank Williamson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:22 pm 
Craig Bradley

Rexy wrote:

Close, but I still think Jones gets in ahead of Macreadie for now. Has the height, strength and speed to go with the ruckman sized forwards that the rest don’t. I just think he needs a general like Docherty around to organise the backline so he doesn’t get caught out of position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Uncle Zel wrote:
We have the most talented list in the league.

:lol:

We may have the most potential but we're a long way off being the most talented.
But you know that really, dont you? You're just trying to drum up new shit angles to bag the coach but no one will swallow that one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:

I dream about the future post Simmo and its very similar...but without Simmo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Uncle Zel wrote:

WE didnt have the most of anything last ear or the year before that, so I dont know why you keep going for the coach.

The clubs mantra is to build for sustainable success.
I have a strong feeling Bolton's shaping every single individual to gel as ateam.
Everything he talks about makes sense to me.

You seem to be missing something...its called patience for a start, but there's more me thinks.
Its a new age.
In this age you need loyalty.
Bolton is generating buy in in spades from what I see.

Yo're looking for excuses imo uncle. Its a very very young team...this year may be the year things start to turn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:59 pm 
Bruce Comben

Another comparison could be drawn against Lynch from Adelaide. Not overly quick or tall but an intelligent footballer. A team player that developed and built over time after a slow start.

Think JSoS is committed enough to get there one way or the other. Doesnt necessarily have to be half fwd. As someone else said, a true utility.

What I like about him is he has Kruezer's characteristics. Will give it everything and you cant knock that type of approach.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:02 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Hoping so Bondi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:05 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

On raw genuine talent I stand by my comment that we have the greatest spread of talent- one glance at our list that is littered with early picks says as much. Why can’t we aspire to be the Dogs of 16 and win it all? Need to aim higher.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

It'll be interesting to see who our small forwards turn out to be.

Cuningham has been the most impressive by far.
Pickett probably has the greatest potential upside.
None of Polson, Gibbons or Fasolo have shown much in the opening 3 rounds. I suspect that we'll persist with Polson for longer out of these 3, because he's youngest, got some zip, and has shown a capacity to work hard on his fitness and following directions.
I thought Murphy looked pretty good in that role yesterday, when we actually managed to get the ball forward.
And Ed obviously had a standout game.

I suspect until we can trade/draft in some real talent for this role, our best bet is out of our midfielders: like Murphy, Fisher and Dow. The problem is we're a little short of midfield numbers right now, so it's harder to give them much time forward.

I'd love Fisher to get some more time forward, and perhaps Ed to spend more time in midfield. Fisher has struggled a little so far in midfield this year. And we could use his clean hands, zip and skilful ball use.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 172  Next