Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:58 am 
Rod Ashman

Paddycripps wrote:
I prefer to do a <28 22, for it is all about the future for me.

B Plowman, Weitering, Docherty
HB Saad, Marchbank, Newman
C Petrevski-Seton, Cripps, Williams
FOLL DeKoning, Walsh, Setterfield
HF Cuningham, Curnow, Martin
F Fisher, McKay, McGovern
INT Silvagni, Gibbons, Williamson, Kennedy

EMERG : Pittonet, Kemp, Dow, LOB, Philp.

I like the idea of an under 28 best 22. I would prefer to see Dow or Philp replace Kennedy as I think the team needs speed around the ball for balance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blue Sombrero wrote:
drc wrote:
let's get a little weird, probably been sharing my avatars supply

FB: Docherty Weitering McGovern
HB: Newman Jones Marchbank
C: Walsh Cripps Williamson
HF: Martin Casboult C.Curnow
FF: Betts McKay Silvagni
Foll: De Koning Setterfield Z.Williams
Int: Fisher SPS Kemp Gibbons
Emg: E.Curnow Dow ? ? ? ? ?

I like how you have Newman on the side where he will turn inside and use the corridor.
You mucked it up with Williamson though.

:smoking:

Don’t agree. :razz:
Newman needs to be on the left side wing, so he doesn’t have to turn inside but use his natural left to kick inboard. Well that’s how we played footy when I played. :donk:
Right footers on opposite wing to do similar.
That’s if you have a choice that is. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:28 am 
Stephen Kernahan

SurreyBlue wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
drc wrote:
let's get a little weird, probably been sharing my avatars supply

FB: Docherty Weitering McGovern
HB: Newman Jones Marchbank
C: Walsh Cripps Williamson
HF: Martin Casboult C.Curnow
FF: Betts McKay Silvagni
Foll: De Koning Setterfield Z.Williams
Int: Fisher SPS Kemp Gibbons
Emg: E.Curnow Dow ? ? ? ? ?

I like how you have Newman on the side where he will turn inside and use the corridor.
You mucked it up with Williamson though.

:smoking:

Don’t agree. :razz:
Newman needs to be on the left side wing, so he doesn’t have to turn inside but use his natural left to kick inboard. Well that’s how we played footy when I played. :donk:
Right footers on opposite wing to do similar.
That’s if you have a choice that is. :lol:

You played in Jenkin topliners?
Depends whether the ball is coming out of the back line or up from our end.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:43 am 
Harry Vallence

Lol

So they'd have to run across the park and swap over each time?
:lol:
It'd be like watching the cricket with the fielders crossing sides when the batsmen alternate at strike!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:21 am 
Ken Hunter

Depends if you're the defensive winger or the offensive midfielder..... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:27 am 
Bob Chitty

SurreyBlue wrote:
Depends if you're the defensive winger or the offensive midfielder..... :lol:

Who you calling a defensive whinger?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:58 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

With the highly likely acquisition of Williams and Saad, and added post injury is Marchbank and Kemp:

B: Docherty Jones Marchbank

HB: Plowman Weitering Saad

C: Setterfield Cripps Williamson

R: De Koning Walsh Williams

HF: Martin McKay SPS

F: Betts Curnow Kemp

IC: Pitto ........ & ........ & ........

Plenty to choose from for those 3 spots, but there's a need for midfield speed:

3rd Trade Target (Shopping 2 x 1st Rnd picks) may just be that: eg. Wines, Oliver, Kelly, Crouch, Dunkley, Hunter ... DeGoey :oops:

30 yo + Murphy Curnow Levi

24 yo + McGovern Murphy, Silvagni, Gibbons, Levi, Kennedy, Newman, Newnes, Cuningham, Gibbons, Kennedy

23 yo < Honey, Fisher, Dow, Stocker, O'Brien, Philp, Macreadie, Ramsay, Cottrell

Draft Draft a Small Forward and a developing ruckman/ midfielder

Finally, our development squad is at has the right age profile.

Expecting those in green to get games and 1 or 2 cement a spot in 2021. Injury will play a role in that.

Would like to have DeKoning as first ruck and Levi in the FP, instead of Pitto, but Levi faded after round 6, so Pitto it is, for now.

I don't want McKay as the chop out ruck. I wish he could, but I want Harry as a forward target with Charlie.

Pitto is not a forward unfortunately. Kemp I expect to play in 2021 (developing role) in a FP and mixing it in the midfield, so Pitto is on the bench.

I'm hopeful a reinvigorated Silvagni or McGovern to earn the 3rd tall spot, but at this minute, neither are on my radar till they earn it.

We will need a Forward ruck to replace Pitto over time imo, Levi has only one year left in him.

If Hunter is recruited, then he takes Willo's...... spot in first 18.

One more Big name midfielder would give everyone in footy land the belief Carlton can become a top 4 team in 2021.
Talk about pressure for spots in the best 22, but also heaps of pressure to stay on the Carlton list in this Renaissance year: 2021

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:11 am 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
With the highly likely acquisition of Williams and Saad, and added post injury is Marchbank and Kemp:

3rd Trade Target (Shopping 2 x 1st Rnd picks) may just be that: eg. Wines, Oliver, Kelly, Crouch, Dunkley, Hunter ... DeGoey :oops:

24 yo + McGovern Murphy, Silvagni, Gibbons, Levi, Kennedy, Newman, Newnes, Cuningham, Gibbons, Kennedy

23 yo < Honey, Fisher, Dow, Stocker, O'Brien, Philp, Macreadie, Ramsay, Cottrell

Expecting those in green to get games and 1 or 2 cement a spot in 2021. Injury will play a role in that.

Would like to have DeKoning as first ruck and Levi in the FP, instead of Pitto, but Levi faded after round 6, so Pitto it is, for now.

I don't want McKay as the chop out ruck. I wish he could, but I want Harry as a forward target with Charlie.

Pitto is not a forward unfortunately. Kemp I expect to play in 2021 (developing role) in a FP and mixing it in the midfield, so Pitto is on the bench.

I'm hopeful a reinvigorated Silvagni or McGovern to earn the 3rd tall spot, but at this minute, neither are on my radar till they earn it.

We will need a Forward ruck to replace Pitto over time imo, Levi has only one year left in him.

One more Big name midfielder would give everyone in footy land the belief Carlton can become a top 4 team in 2021.
Talk about pressure for spots in the best 22, but also heaps of pressure to stay on the Carlton list in this Renaissance year: 2021

Levi plays his best when he is second ruck and once Pitto and TDK were playing, he became lost.

I am happy. to have TDK as sole ruck with Levi rotating to give TDK a rest.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:57 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Steve_C7 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Levi plays his best when he is second ruck and once Pitto and TDK were playing, he became lost.

Me too. Gut feel.
Levi's first 7 rounds in 2020 were unbelievably great. He was the leagues best forward-ruck in the AFL.
If he was feeling lost, and the removal of Pitto fixes that in 2021, I'm all for it.

Post subject: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:09 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Me too. Gut feel.
Levi's first 7 rounds in 2020 were unbelievably great. He was the leagues best forward-ruck in the AFL.
If he was feeling lost, and the removal of Pitto fixes that in 2021, I'm all for it.

100% agree with this. Playing TDK, pitto, and Levi is like playing one short. Another pre season and TDK will be ready to take the no1 ruck mantle with Levi providing relief

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Brendan Goddard has names his Best 22 today assuming Williams, Saad and Lonie are signed to carlton.

He proves to me he is guessing and not being honest as he suggests. He doesn't have a good understanding on the team imo.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/10/29/brendon-goddard-builds-carltons-2021-best-22/

Quote:
Backline

“Caleb Marchbank or Lachie Plowman, there’s a question mark on Marchbank, Mitch McGovern at full-back, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Adam Saad, Jacob Weitering and Sam Docherty,” Goddard said.

Quote:
Midfield

“Will Setterfield was really good this year, Jack Newnes and Marc Murphy on the wing. I like Murphy with a bit of experience in an outside role.

“Tom De Koning, Patrick Cripps, Sam Walsh and then you throw Zac Williams in there as that balance.

Quote:
Midfield

“Will Setterfield was really good this year, Jack Newnes and Marc Murphy on the wing. I like Murphy with a bit of experience in an outside role.

“Tom De Koning, Patrick Cripps, Sam Walsh and then you throw Zac Williams in there as that balance.

Quote:
Interchange

“Levi Casboult, Ed Curnow, Paddy Dow and Michael Gibbons.”

“De Koning as the sole ruckman, Marc Pittonet not in the team.

He says:

Quote:
“I just had McGovern ahead of Liam Jones to be honest. I’d have Weitering play on the big monsters and McGovern to play on the second stringer on the higher half forward with his ability to read the footy, I think he surpasses Jones to be honest.

Lets man up his backline

vs Lions forwards Daniher (201), Hipwood (203) and McStay (196)

vs Cats forwards Hawkins (198), Cameron (196), Dangerfield/ Rohan (189)

vs Tigers forwards Lynch (199), Reiwoldt (196), Martin (186)

Who does McGovern take above? to be honest
Who does Plowman take above?
Who is the No.! KPF Weitering takes on?

Jones turns 30yo in February. Whilst he does make some mistakes trying too hard, playing his nrmal defensive game, he is No 1 for intercept marks, and 1 percenters. He has good chemistry working with Weiters. Honest Brendan doesn't explain the ommission of Jones and the advantage Gov brings.

Yes we do need to plan for a replacement for Jones in 2022 or 2023, but not with 190cm McGovern.

Furthermore, I'd prefer Marchbank to be back as the interceptor and Plowman to surpress the small forward which he has done with aplomb. That way Jones can focus on his golden fist as a hard tagger of the opposition No 1 or No 2 KPF. With team defence its reasonable to mix n match opponents between Weiters and Jones, both big boys, but Gov on Hipwood or Hawkins or Reiwoldt will get rag dolled.

Lonie? Please no. We have SPS Fisher and Betts for that spot in 2021, and if we were really keen on a good small forward we would look at circa 2021 Butler, in Higgins. imo. He also states we are looking for another mid to help Cripps, so I don't know why the Lonie talk...yes I do.

He is expecting Dow to have a breakout year (? please explain), and he's expecting Gibbons to be ahead of a few other players.

Oh yeah, Goddard is a sainst man with an allegiance to the club who screwed his career, Effendrugs*

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:35 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Plowman Jones Williamson
Docherty Weitering Saad
Williams Cripps Walsh
Martin McKay Gibbons
Fisher Curnow Casboult
TDK Curnow Setterfield
Cuningham SPS Newnes Murphy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:13 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sin City wrote:
Plowman Jones Williamson
Docherty Weitering Saad
Williams Cripps Walsh
Martin McKay Gibbons
Fisher Curnow Casboult
TDK Curnow Setterfield

Interesting how many left out coz you can't fit them in.

There's no right or wrong, just a personal feel.

The only ones that raised my eyebrow is Gibbons and Newnes vs who misses.
Both had a good 2020 and belong. Newnes will play a big part agaain because of his physicality.

Who misses your/our team:

Mature players 25yo>: Marchbank, Newman, McGovern, Betts, Pittonet, Moore
Young ones >23yo: Silvagni, Kennedy, Owies, Polson
Under 23yo...Macreadie, Dow, LOB, Stocker, Honey, Cottrell
Under 20yo.. Kemp, Philp, Ramsay,

Some of the above are going to have a break out year, and all the mature players are great depth for 2021.

I don't think Marchbank will be left out TBH.
Jones took the most intercept marks, which also led to a lot of goals leaked when he missed.
Marchbank and Weitering are bornintercept marks, but Weiters is on the No 1 KPF and Jones should stick to the No 2 KPF.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:32 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
Sin City wrote:
Plowman Jones Williamson
Docherty Weitering Saad
Williams Cripps Walsh
Martin McKay Gibbons
Fisher Curnow Casboult
TDK Curnow Setterfield

Both had a good 2020 and belong. Newnes will play a big part agaain because of his physicality.

Some of the above are going to have a break out year, and all the mature players are great depth for 2021.

Jones took the most intercept marks, which also led to a lot of goals leaked when he missed.
Marchbank and Weitering are bornintercept marks, but Weiters is on the No 1 KPF and Jones should stick to the No 2 KPF.

Cheers. If Murphy can get his shoulder right he’s still in the team. If not then I hope we play someone else next year.

I can definitely see the ability to play senior football in Newman, Pittonet, Betts, McGovern, Silvagni and Kennedy. Kennedy I actually thought played some really good footy in the midfield this year and provided a lot of grunt but they don’t really seem to want him in the team.

We’ll be in a very good place when Dow, LOB, Philp, Kemp, Stocker, Honey and Kennedy can start bashing the door down. I look forward to that day, really keen to see what Kemp can do next year and also Philp after another pre-season.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sin City wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Sin City wrote:
Plowman Jones Williamson
Docherty Weitering Saad
Williams Cripps Walsh
Martin McKay Gibbons
Fisher Curnow Casboult
TDK Curnow Setterfield

Cheers. If Murphy can get his shoulder right he’s still in the team. If not then I hope we play someone else next year.

I can definitely see the ability to play senior football in Newman, Pittonet, Betts, McGovern, Silvagni and Kennedy. Kennedy I actually thought played some really good footy in the midfield this year and provided a lot of grunt but they don’t really seem to want him in the team.

We’ll be in a very good place when Dow, LOB, Philp, Kemp, Stocker, Honey and Kennedy can start bashing the door down. I look forward to that day, really keen to see what Kemp can do next year and also Philp after another pre-season.

He was selected for all games expected to be played in the wet. That's an interesting fact, and imo, says something about his output in the dry.

He's a good mark and a great kick for goal. I just don't think he's quick enough to be in the midfield. Can play a role there when a bigger body is required, but he couldn't tag like Silvagni has imo.

He's a good player because there has been interest in him from some team(s). If its North then I see their cupboard is bare.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:44 am 
Robert Walls

I think the Match Committee decided that we were too slow with both Setterfield and Kennedy in the same midfield. Kennedy's late-season recall was when Setters went out with injury.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:21 am 
Ken Hunter

bluechampion wrote:
I think the Match Committee decided that we were too slow with both Setterfield and Kennedy in the same midfield. Kennedy's late-season recall was when Setters went out with injury.

Sorry but I need to correct you.
Setterfield missed the round 10 and then round 18 match. Kennedy played the round 18 game, 1 match without Setters.
Kennedy played all games between rounds 6 to 12, except round 10 which Setters missed as well.

Our match committee needed to rotate Ed, Cripps, Setters & Kennedy and not play 3 out of 4 continuously at centre bounces or midfield.
If we were honest, Ed wouldn't play next year unless injury and 2 of Cripps, Kennedy & Setters to play midfield with rotations forward/bench.
Hopefully we balance that with rotations of Walsh, SpS, Martin, Murphy, Fisher, Dow, William & O'Brien.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:26 am 
Rod Ashman

SurreyBlue wrote:
bluechampion wrote:

Setterfield missed the round 10 and then round 18 match. Kennedy played the round 18 game, 1 match without Setters.
Kennedy played all games between rounds 6 to 12, except round 10 which Setters missed as well.

Our match committee needed to rotate Ed, Cripps, Setters & Kennedy and not play 3 out of 4 continuously at centre bounces or midfield.
If we were honest, Ed wouldn't play next year unless injury and 2 of Cripps, Kennedy & Setters to play midfield with rotations forward/bench.
Hopefully we balance that with rotations of Walsh, SpS, Martin, Murphy, Fisher, Dow, William & O'Brien.

Replace O'Brien with Cunningham.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
bluechampion wrote:

Its a hard one with ed. Haven't thought he should make way, but I understand why youre suggesting it.
But he is miles ahead of those young ones you mention, who, lets face it are now entering their apprenticeship as oppose to being 18-20yo fledglings.

Hopefully next year's VFL/ Reserves comp is on and the players do get to practise their learnings in real footy games, albeit a level below, where they should be developing, with the same or similar game plan.

Not long to go for Betts, Murphy, Ed and Levi.

2021 should be the last for Betts and Murphy, making way for 2 spots (should happen through the year too, depending on form)
2022 should be the last year for Ed and Levi (if Levi doesn't finish end of 2021)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:54 pm 
Ken Hunter

carntheblues wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
bluechampion wrote:

Replace O'Brien with Cunningham.

Good call. Forgot him. We can add even Stocker, Kemp, Philp long term as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172  Next