Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:40 am 
Offline
Ken Hunter

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 14144
Location: Bondi Beach
rhino27 wrote:
Admitedly I haven't done a best 22, but am sure it will be tough with Williams and Saad added to the list.
However, find it hard to see Ed not being in our best 22. Been one of our most if not most consistent performer in recent years.
Plays a role not many in our team can play. Will finish in the top 3 of our B&F this year and is a big chance to actually win it.


Ed, the running machine, gets to more contests than anyone. He adds an extra player in the next contest such is his running ability to get there.

Ed is more important than Murphy imo. He wont miss out in 2021, but he along with Murphy are in line to be taken over due to there age.

I expect 2021 to be Murphy's last, not so with Ed.

_________________
I'm on board The Teague Train and I want to see the next station.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:46 pm 
Offline
Wayne Johnston
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:32 am
Posts: 8626
Love Ed but in 2021 and beyond, we shouldn’t be playing Ed in front of these 5 starting midfields or rotations. If we are, we aren’t balancing our midfield and / or moving forward.
Starting; Williams Cripps SpS Setterfield Walsh
Rotations: Kennedy Murphy Dow Williamson
Forward Mids: Martin Fisher


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:02 pm 
Offline
Ken Hunter

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 14144
Location: Bondi Beach
SurreyBlue wrote:
Love Ed but in 2021 and beyond, we shouldn’t be playing Ed in front of these 5 starting midfields or rotations. If we are, we aren’t balancing our midfield and / or moving forward.
Starting; Williams Cripps SpS Setterfield Walsh
Rotations: Kennedy Murphy Dow Williamson
Forward Mids: Martin Fisher


Situational analysis has merit.

I don't think the MC will pick Kennedy ahead of Ed.
The Club are after finals, not just development.

2022 with a young one ot three stepping up (and theres heaps) and the Trade for Oliver or Merrett or an improvement, I can see Ed being phased out.

To think Kennedy (for age????) is ahead of Ed in 2021 is fanciful imo....but glad you think Kennedy is "in", the mids mix. I'm just guessing

_________________
I'm on board The Teague Train and I want to see the next station.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:19 pm 
Offline
Robert Walls

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:28 pm
Posts: 3803
Assuming Charlie is unavailable:

B: Plowman Jones Docherty
HB: Saad Weitering Marchbank
C: Setterfield Cripps Walsh
HF: JSOS McGovern Martin
F: Fisher Harry Philp
R: TDK Ed Curnow Williams
Int: SPS Levi Newnes Murphy

- Hopefully Stocker and Kemp can force their way into the side
- In reserve: Pittonet, Newman, Stocker, Kemp, Williamson, Cunningham, Gibbons, Betts, Fogarty, Honey, Kennedy, Dow, LOB, Ramsay

_________________
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:36 pm 
Offline
Alex Jesaulenko
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 21956
http://jimmae.epizy.com/teamboard.html

Though Jimmae had taken it down!

_________________
dane's trolling again


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:58 pm 
Offline
Robert Walls

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:04 pm
Posts: 3470
Location: Bendigo
Backs: Weitering, Jones, Plowman, Docherty, Saad, Newman

Mids: Pittonet, Cripps, Walsh, Williams, Petrevski-Seton, Curnow... Setterfield, Murphy, Newnes

Forwards: McKay, Casboult, McGovern, Silvagni, Martin, Fisher... Betts


Newman is probably a bit of a 'forgotten' man with Saad & Williams coming into the side. I think he defends well enough, but I like him most for kick in duties. He can really hammer it & with the afore-mentioned runners joining SPS at the foot of the resulting contest, I like our chances of pressing forward should the ball come to ground. It's not that he (Newman) is the first choice for that role, he's the only choice. Williamson and Marchbank are the reserves, but either one of them would require a completely new set up.

With both Charlie & Kemp missing for the first half of the season (at best), that defensive rebound is, really, the only significant improvement to the side. Durdin might unseat Betts & Fisher for the small forward role, but there's no significant structural change there. We're still resigned to a 'balanced' attack with two bigs, two mids and two smalls. At least with Silvagni back in the side, we have a high quality defensive forward.

Setterfield, Murphy and Newnes off the bench reflects the dire state of our 'known' midfield stocks. I like Setters (and he's obviously 'safe' in the side), but he just fumbles too much. Cunningham, Gibbons & Kennedy are ok reserves, but struggle to find the contest let alone the footy. The jury is still out on Stocker, Philp and Fogarty, with Carroll and Ramsay still sight unseen. There are significant, valid, question marks around Dow and O'Brien with only the former given any hope of answering the challenge.

All in all, i'd say there are at least two forward and two midfield spots up for grabs.

_________________
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter" - Winston Churchill.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:11 pm 
Offline
Ken Hunter

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 14144
Location: Bondi Beach
Crusader wrote:
Backs: Weitering, Jones, Plowman, Docherty, Saad, Newman

Mids: Pittonet, Cripps, Walsh, Williams, Petrevski-Seton, Curnow... Setterfield, Murphy, Newnes

Forwards: McKay, Casboult, McGovern, Silvagni, Martin, Fisher... Betts


Newman is probably a bit of a 'forgotten' man with Saad & Williams coming into the side. I think he defends well enough, but I like him most for kick in duties. He can really hammer it & with the afore-mentioned runners joining SPS at the foot of the resulting contest, I like our chances of pressing forward should the ball come to ground. It's not that he (Newman) is the first choice for that role, he's the only choice. Williamson and Marchbank are the reserves, but either one of them would require a completely new set up.

With both Charlie & Kemp missing for the first half of the season (at best), that defensive rebound is, really, the only significant improvement to the side. Durdin might unseat Betts & Fisher for the small forward role, but there's no significant structural change there. We're still resigned to a 'balanced' attack with two bigs, two mids and two smalls. At least with Silvagni back in the side, we have a high quality defensive forward.

Setterfield, Murphy and Newnes off the bench reflects the dire state of our 'known' midfield stocks. I like Setters (and he's obviously 'safe' in the side), but he just fumbles too much. Cunningham, Gibbons & Kennedy are ok reserves, but struggle to find the contest let alone the footy. The jury is still out on Stocker, Philp and Fogarty, with Carroll and Ramsay still sight unseen. There are significant, valid, question marks around Dow and O'Brien with only the former given any hope of answering the challenge.

All in all, i'd say there are at least two forward and two midfield spots up for grabs.


With so much depth I think Newman will struggle to be picked if all backmen are fit and available.

Saad, Docherty, SPS tump him imo. Add Williamson to that mix, and gets tougher ... and there will be more pressure for a spot from Stocker and Kemp when he's fit again.

He's coming back from serious leg injury. He wasn't quick before. I hope he hasn't lost any pace post op.

Good luck to all of the abovementioned. I think they are all quality AFL players ... no dead wood there.

_________________
I'm on board The Teague Train and I want to see the next station.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:03 pm 
Offline
Bert Deacon

Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:55 pm
Posts: 573
The way injuries are at the moment and lack of pre season in some. Rd1/

B: Plowman Jones Williamson
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Setterfield Cripps Walsh
HF: Martin Casboult Gibbons
F: Murphy McKay Fisher
R: Pittonet Curnow Williams
IC: Silvagni, Newnes, SPS, Stocker
E: Dow, O'Brien, Cottrell


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:59 pm 
Offline
Ken Hunter

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 14144
Location: Bondi Beach
35 Players competing for 22 positions.
Pressure for spots is ideal for a team focussed on playing Finals.

My Best for Season 2021, before watching for form in preseason games vs Saints and Drug cheats*

B: Plowman Jones Docherty
HB: SPS Weitering Saad

C: Williamson Walsh Setterfield
R: De Koning Cripps Williams

HF: Martin McKay Murphy
F: Betts C.Curnow Casboult

IC: Marchbank E.Curnow Fisher Fogarty

E: Silvagni Newnes

I have a feeling Fogarty will be the preseason standout.
Hard at it player like Newnes and Silvagni

I don't expect C.Curnow, Marchbank, De Koning to be available in round 1
I expect Pittonet, Silvagni and Newnes to take their spots.

I'm expecting Dow and Durdin to push for round 1 selection.

_________________
I'm on board The Teague Train and I want to see the next station.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:09 pm 
Online
Ken Hunter

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 14518
Location: The Vodka Train
bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Love Ed but in 2021 and beyond, we shouldn’t be playing Ed in front of these 5 starting midfields or rotations. If we are, we aren’t balancing our midfield and / or moving forward.
Starting; Williams Cripps SpS Setterfield Walsh
Rotations: Kennedy Murphy Dow Williamson
Forward Mids: Martin Fisher


Situational analysis has merit.

I don't think the MC will pick Kennedy ahead of Ed.
The Club are after finals, not just development.

2022 with a young one ot three stepping up (and theres heaps) and the Trade for Oliver or Merrett or an improvement, I can see Ed being phased out.

To think Kennedy (for age????) is ahead of Ed in 2021 is fanciful imo....but glad you think Kennedy is "in", the mids mix. I'm just guessing



..I agree, Ed is the first full time midfielder picked along with Cripps.. ....Kennedy I would have as a forward.. ..by far our most efficient, and smartest forward.. ..I'd use him and JoS as half forwards running as links to deep forwards as well as resting deep..

_________________
..if you can't be good, be good at it..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:50 pm 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick

Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:24 pm
Posts: 4504
Location: Bridge, Starship Enterprise
Why is everyone a fan of Williamson. What has he actually done to earn the love.

Sure he is continually showing glimpses especially with his beautiful left foot but a breakout game he has not.


IMO only this is a special year for him.

_________________
"Get ready, Teddy - you're on": Ron Barassi half time 1970 Grand Final


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:59 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan

Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 2:15 pm
Posts: 16276
Location: North of the border
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Why is everyone a fan of Williamson. What has he actually done to earn the love.

Sure he is continually showing glimpses especially with his beautiful left foot but a breakout game he has not.


IMO only this is a special year for him.
There are a heap who have had the honeymoon and now it is time to step up.
Fisher
Cunningham
JSOS
SPS
Williamson
Harry
McGovern
Kennedy
Dow
Obrien
Stocker

If these guys all play to their potential then happy days.
If they tread water we are in trouble

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:31 am 
Offline
Ken Hunter

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 14144
Location: Bondi Beach
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Why is everyone a fan of Williamson. What has he actually done to earn the love.

Sure he is continually showing glimpses especially with his beautiful left foot but a breakout game he has not.


IMO only this is a special year for him.


I've been a critic of Willo for a long time and held the same view.
I still do ... if he's left to play on the last line of defence.
He has no right foot and in the last line he can be corralled onto the right and he's a liability in that position, imo.

Willo plays his best at HBF, and it seems he may just be the defensive wingman we've needed.
Its a position he can use his pace and his long accurate passes into the forward 50.
He needs space to work with and get out of trouble, imo.

I still have my doubts with him, along with a list of players Sydney Blue just noted above post.
Of SB's list I have no doubt Harry and SPS will make the grade.
I also see JSOS with most flexibility in that list, which is a weapon for us in this era.
Of the rest, along with Willo, I need to see more to be convinced their name deserves to be in best 22 week in week out.

We finished 11th in 2020.
I've got Willo on a wing in my best 22.
I think that says it all.
We haven't made finals for a reason: SOS picked players who may not make it, or will, with a bit more development.

It has been too early to write off players, but once they turn 23yo, I think its time to judge them with a harsher eye.

I like your post teddy.

_________________
I'm on board The Teague Train and I want to see the next station.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170

All times are UTC + 10 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big Kahuna Boot, bluedog, cecil89, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group