Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:40 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Taff wrote:
p(12)terg wrote:
This is an amazing thread - well done BS!

Gives me another stat to record each game-day!

Would also rate as a blueseum article, I'd reckon, but that's just me!

I also don't get to many live games and, as I don't have Fox, I don't get to see many either. There is the occasion that I get to record the win with the old VHS, and some of the losses I have kept as well (last year's game against the Aints; the following Filth match were kept on the basis that we were in the whole game, and not, as previously, only a quarter or two; then there was Judd's debut R1 this year) ..

I have also opted for TC on game day over the gathering at the Royal at Randwick. MrsG still objects, but I need my stats and my game-day banter. I may not know alot about footy, but I still love it!

Carn the Blues

You do great work getting all the links up and running each week - see you on line later today!

Exactly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:10 am 
Stephen Kernahan

It'sa long time since anybody ha sposted here but I would like to recount a little story that atsrted here on TC earlier this year.
Bender, who lives in London sent me a PM telling me he would be visiting my town on a cruise ship and could I recommend anything worth doing. I, of course, suggested we get together and that I would show him what I could in the tie he had available. We went to a pyramid and hung out at a great restaurant where the food is free if you drink, which wasn't a worry for either of us or Bender's missus and we parted quite the new mates.

Well, the other day, I received in the mail, a Red Cross parcel from UK with several jars of Vegemite and some (inferior) Marmite. I was so pleased to get it and of course sent Bender a letter of thanks cva this site.

We are a large Carlton family spread to all corners of the globe but in the end there is a common bond that makes us all mates.

Thanks again, bender. very thoughtful of you and while I'm at it, Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all the Foreign Legion of supporters in Oz and everywhere else.

Let's hope 2016 is a rewarding one for the Blues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:43 am 
Vale 1953-2020

Lovely post, BS. Have a great Christmas with your family and a safe happy healthy peaceful 2016.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:48 pm 
John Nicholls

Blue Sombrero wrote:
It'sa long time since anybody ha sposted here but I would like to recount a little story that atsrted here on TC earlier this year.
Bender, who lives in London sent me a PM telling me he would be visiting my town on a cruise ship and could I recommend anything worth doing. I, of course, suggested we get together and that I would show him what I could in the tie he had available. We went to a pyramid and hung out at a great restaurant where the food is free if you drink, which wasn't a worry for either of us or Bender's missus and we parted quite the new mates.

Well, the other day, I received in the mail, a Red Cross parcel from UK with several jars of Vegemite and some (inferior) Marmite. I was so pleased to get it and of course sent Bender a letter of thanks cva this site.

We are a large Carlton family spread to all corners of the globe but in the end there is a common bond that makes us all mates.

Thanks again, bender. very thoughtful of you and while I'm at it, Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all the Foreign Legion of supporters in Oz and everywhere else.

Let's hope 2016 is a rewarding one for the Blues.

Yes great post, and all the best also to our Blue brothers all around the world.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:09 pm 
Bruce Doull

Winning. :beer:

Thanks for sharing the story.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:35 am 
Stephen Kernahan

moshe25 wrote:
Lovely post, BS. Have a great Christmas with your family and a safe happy healthy peaceful 2016.

Thanks, Moshe. I've met a few of the TCers and I am looking forward to meeting you, one day.
And thanks for not correcting that post. I just re-read it. Should have done it before pressing 'enter'.
:oops:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:39 am 
Stephen Kernahan

camelboy wrote:
Winning. :beer:

Thanks for sharing the story.

Pleasure.
Some on here suffer withdrawal symptoms when they travel OS for a couple of weeks and can't go to training sessions or games.
We live that.
TC is an important part for many of us of staying in touch with the goss and sharing the feeling of oneness and divisiveness that supporting a footy club gives us all.
A jar of Vegemite is a precious gift for someone like me. That Bender would send one is more so.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

Such a feel good story, thanks for sharing it.

I am Melbourne born and bred but I lived and worked in Boston for 4 years between 1986 and 1990, pre Internet. I had a wonderful life there with my very young family and could have easily stayed permanently and had opportunities to do so. But there is something about being connected to and in touch with ones roots that is very powerful, and not just about family. I remember the 1987 grand final vividly, unbelievably broadcast into Boston live on ESPN at some god forsaken hour, precious for me. My (then) wife hated football which was fine, so I sat there on my own in my Carlton jumper with 6 giant cans of Fosters and yelled and cheered as loudly as I could. At the end of the game I was ecstatic jumping around the lounge room on my own with my awakened wife looking at me as though I was crazy. Then the phone rang. It was a Hawthorn supporting mate from Oz calling to congratulate me on a great game. I hadn't spoken to him for 2 years. International phone calls in those days were incredibly expensive and not something you did except in exceptional circumstances. He wasn't to know that I watched the whole game live. I was in tears. It was a great gesture. The pull of home, of our great country, of shared experiences, of the memories of childhood which football engenders, of common bonds, is very powerful.

I was never really homesick living in the USA because I loved my job, my lifestyle, and the people. I loved the Redsox and the Larry Bird led Celtics. But every now and again living overseas you get a reminder that you are an outsider, and your heart lives elsewhere.

The Foreign Legion on TC as you call them BS adds immeasurably to the joy of reading this site. You have to be mad to do what you do. I think I understand.

Happy holidays to you all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:55 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

You guys deserve as much respect & passion back from the club as you give to it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

RickJ wrote:

I am Melbourne born and bred but I lived and worked in Boston for 4 years between 1986 and 1990, pre Internet. I had a wonderful life there with my very young family and could have easily stayed permanently and had opportunities to do so. But there is something about being connected to and in touch with ones roots that is very powerful, and not just about family. I remember the 1987 grand final vividly, unbelievably broadcast into Boston live on ESPN at some god forsaken hour, precious for me. My (then) wife hated football which was fine, so I sat there on my own in my Carlton jumper with 6 giant cans of Fosters and yelled and cheered as loudly as I could. At the end of the game I was ecstatic jumping around the lounge room on my own with my awakened wife looking at me as though I was crazy. Then the phone rang. It was a Hawthorn supporting mate from Oz calling to congratulate me on a great game. I hadn't spoken to him for 2 years. International phone calls in those days were incredibly expensive and not something you did except in exceptional circumstances. He wasn't to know that I watched the whole game live. I was in tears. It was a great gesture. The pull of home, of our great country, of shared experiences, of the memories of childhood which football engenders, of common bonds, is very powerful.

I was never really homesick living in the USA because I loved my job, my lifestyle, and the people. I loved the Redsox and the Larry Bird led Celtics. But every now and again living overseas you get a reminder that you are an outsider, and your heart lives elsewhere.

The Foreign Legion on TC as you call them BS adds immeasurably to the joy of reading this site. You have to be mad to do what you do. I think I understand.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:21 am 
Stephen Kernahan

RickJ wrote:

Thanks for the nice post. I posted elsewhere about my dad living in Kiribati from 1938-68. You talk about pre-internet! He was the one who started this whole thing with Carlton and me.
By the way, I think Taff came up with the name one night on the live game thread.

Last edited by Blue Sombrero on Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:22 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
You guys deserve as much respect & passion back from the club as you give to it.

Thanks but all any of us wants from the club is that the board does the business properly and for the playing group to have a go.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:06 am 
John Nicholls

Blue Sombrero wrote:
RickJ wrote:

Thanks for the nice post. I posted elsewhere about my dad living in Kiribati from 1938-68. You talk about pre-internet! He was the one who started this whole thing with Carlton and me.
By the way, I think Taff came up with the name one night on the live game thread.

I'd like to think you are right BS. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:30 pm 
Ken Hands

Back in 2001 when we were still a powerhouse,my wife booked a 4 week holiday in Europe .I went along begrudgingly.We travelled to Hungary and stayed with my cousins family .As soon as I arrived I gave him and his son a Carlton Cap .I was missing the footy ever so badly .Anyway after drinking myself stupid with my cousin ,I fell asleep on the couch.His son comes rushing in at 4AM quick quick look what is on my computer,I thought I was seeing things ,We were playing WEST COAST live at Princes PARK so I .watched the whole game which we won by nearly 100 pts ,a the good old days

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

I was in Greece in September last year.Took the laptop with me,and yep,logged onto TC every day despite pledging to go cold turkey on footy for a month..............this TC place is irrisistable

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:02 am 
Stephen Kernahan

The club probably has no idea how many if us log in to some form f media on game day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:16 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Time to dredge this thread up again. I see it's 11 years since I started it and it has managed three pages already!
The season starts in six hours, give or take. 0220 my time. That means it will be five a.m. by the time I watch the game and then trawl through TC. Of course I won't be able to sleep, win or lose. Usually if we win (as I recall) afterwards I am too excited and after a loss I am too disappointed. I'll probably take the dogs for a walk along the beach.
At the start of every new season my thoughts go to my long-passed dad who got me started on this journey when I was a toddler in the early fifties and with whom I shared all the in-between till 1999, including those halcyon days at PP year after year when we knew before the game that we would win. These days I sit alone in the dark watching on the big screen, trying not to wake my wife when the occasional hanger puts me to my feet. Sixteen years ago when I first got here to Mexico, I used to listen to 3AW or the ABC Grandstand live radio stream with an earpiece, just like in my youth boarding at St Pats listening to Alan McGilvray and Freddy Truman call the ashes games. I like to Skype Blue Beatle at half time. Tonight he's at the game so it might be a futile attempt to dissect the first half over the crowd noise.

I have a quiet confidence this season that we've bottomed out at last and the good times are just a season or two away. It'll certainly make it easier to sit up week after week than it has been since the Ratts finals days if that's the case.

It's been a long time since we had a roll call here of the Foreign Legion. I'd be interested in knowing how many of us there are and where.
Good luck to my old mate, Taff in Beijing , with whom I've managed to watch a game or two on TV in Tassie on those infrequent coinciding visits.

Go Blues!

Blue Sombrero, Mexico

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:39 am 
John Nicholls

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Time to dredge this thread up again. I see it's 11 years since I started it and it has managed three pages already!
The season starts in six hours, give or take. 0220 my time. That means it will be five a.m. by the time I watch the game and then trawl through TC. Of course I won't be able to sleep, win or lose. Usually if we win (as I recall) afterwards I am too excited and after a loss I am too disappointed. I'll probably take the dogs for a walk along the beach.
At the start of every new season my thoughts go to my long-passed dad who got me started on this journey when I was a toddler in the early fifties and with whom I shared all the in-between till 1999, including those halcyon days at PP year after year when we knew before the game that we would win. These days I sit alone in the dark watching on the big screen, trying not to wake my wife when the occasional hanger puts me to my feet. Sixteen years ago when I first got here to Mexico, I used to listen to 3AW or the ABC Grandstand live radio stream with an earpiece, just like in my youth boarding at St Pats listening to Alan McGilvray and Freddy Truman call the ashes games. I like to Skype Blue Beatle at half time. Tonight he's at the game so it might be a futile attempt to dissect the first half over the crowd noise.

I have a quiet confidence this season that we've bottomed out at last and the good times are just a season or two away. It'll certainly make it easier to sit up week after week than it has been since the Ratts finals days if that's the case.

It's been a long time since we had a roll call here of the Foreign Legion. I'd be interested in knowing how many of us there are and where.
Good luck to my old mate, Taff in Beijing , with whom I've managed to watch a game or two on TV in Tassie on those infrequent coinciding visits.

Go Blues!

Blue Sombrero, Mexico

Greetings again from Beijing Blue Sombrero. Yes, another season awaits. All set to watch the game this afternoon. Will raise a glass for you and our overseas brethren as the ball bounces. Hopefully not too long before we can again watch a game in person.
Go Blues!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:12 am 
Wayne Johnston

I’ll have to sneak away from work early this afternoon in Singapore to start my yearly fix, luckily the boss is overseas today...

I too miss the weekly trips to PP to stand in the crowd near the fwd pocket where you saw the same people next to you every week.

It’s great I can either live stream or download and watch later (or both) every match over the Internet these days. I remember when I started to travel for work overseas in Asia the first thing I would check in the hotel was whether they had an Australian Network channel subscription available. I fondly remember spending a weekend in a hotel in Beijing in the late nineties with my wife and a good friend who was also a work colleague. It was my birthday, Carlton were on tv and they won!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:34 pm 
John Nicholls

sinbagger wrote:
I’ll have to sneak away from work early this afternoon in Singapore to start my yearly fix, luckily the boss is overseas today...

I too miss the weekly trips to PP to stand in the crowd near the fwd pocket where you saw the same people next to you every week.

It’s great I can either live stream or download and watch later (or both) every match over the Internet these days. I remember when I started to travel for work overseas in Asia the first thing I would check in the hotel was whether they had an Australian Network channel subscription available. I fondly remember spending a weekend in a hotel in Beijing in the late nineties with my wife and a good friend who was also a work colleague. It was my birthday, Carlton were on tv and they won!

:thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next