Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:13 am 
Stephen Kernahan

This isn't about the players who have played for Carlton over the years from Italian, Greek, Irish etc backgrounds, but the people who log onto the matchday discussion here on TC.

Sixty years ago, my dad used to listen on crackly short wave to Radio Australia to the weekend sports from the tiny islands of Ocean Island and Nauru (see Google search for locations) in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. It was a potpourri of sports, all the races, rugby league, the odd rugby onternational and the various state footy leagues, including the VFL. Hardly ever would he get coverage of the Carlton match but he could at least get a round-the-ground score. When the match was broadcast he was ecstatic.
Fast Forward to the 1970's. I was in the Army in Townsville and had to rely on Monday's paper where, on the page that showed all the 'other' sports apart from Rugby League, I could catch the VFL scores and see how the Blues went. By now, my dad was living in Melbourne and listening to the radio every week with his notebook, writing down every score as it happened in a sort of timeline so he could tell who was doing what and when. At least I could ring him every week and chat about the game, which I continued to do until the day he died a few years ago. His drawers were full of little notebooks with every Carlton game since 1970, documented in his accountant's way.
Fast forward again to the present.
Every week, p(12)terq creates a thread called "Carlton vs whomever, matchday discussion" and posts the radio streaming links so we far-flung Carlton supporters can listen to the game and chat among ourselves during the game. He also puts up the stats at the end of each quarter.
Last weekend against Melbourne, he made the comment during the game that we must have had a record number of overseas people on TC listening and chatting. That prompted mandymd (South Carolina) to comment about the Carlton League of Nations, and I have stolen her words to create the title for the thread.
We had:
Mandymd from South Carolina USA
Taff, from Sweden (ususlly from Beijing but travelling)
Mordan from the UK
Titimus from Cambodia, listening from an internet cafe
NZBlue listening from Aukland NZ with his six-year-old son
Blueslander fron Denmark, who claimed to have Princess Mary and Prince Freddie with him
Yours truly from Mexico
PLUS a host of people from Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Dapto, Sydney and places undeclared, of whom Grofunger was the most prolific poster.
We all had one thing in common, a passion for the Navy Blue and a desire to sit up all night, morning or afternoon and listen as did my dad all that time ago. How he would have loved to have had access to the sort of communications we enjoy today.
I rarely miss a week on TC whilst listening to the game and look forward every week to saying, "g'day," to people I've never met and chatting with them about the game, the smog, the coffee, the pastries and so on.
Hopefully this week, NYTDog (New York) and Beano (Ireland) can make it along. We missed you last week.
If there are any other OS TCers who want to spend a long night listening to the boys go round, please join us and help the Carlton League of Nations grow into something huge.
Thanks to you all and to TC for making Mexico seem a lot closer to Royal Pde.
And to P(12)terq, thanks for putting in the effort. We do appreciate it a lot.
See you at the 'G' against Adelaide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:17 am 
Harry Vallence

A life in the footy tragic oh I am so badly one of those from a long long distance away. But 12000 miles doesn’t change 30 years of football memories or the love of a club and a people we have all celebrated with or cried with at one time. Bottom line is I’m proud of my club my team and my adopted Carlton family. My birth family has a strong and proud tradition of being Carlton I have memberships that date back to 1922. Blueblood has been running thru the veins forever. Who knows as a result of the family living in Brunswick and Richmond or just plain old good fashioned taste? But thank god someone made the right choice not the feral one.

Whether it be my mother her 2nd cousins, brothers, uncles and dad (my grandfather) going to the football together and watching Big Nick to Serge . Oh and some of the stories that my grandfather told about the exploits of our players or to my umbrella wielding mother who as a teen was going to attack anyone in sight that said a word out of place to my beloved grandfather.

One of my first game memories as lil tacker at Waverley just after it opened and seeing Carlton V Geelong don’t ask me the result because I don’t remember and didn’t care at the time. Or standing under the Robert Heatley stand on cans of empty soda watching the exploits of the boys and laughing at our legendary grog squad. The peanut man who could throw a bag of peanuts so accurately it would land on a coke can. So many games so many memories the day I thought Jezza was killed in the pocket of princess park (that bone cruncher hit by the mongrel Magro), the unbelievable loss to Essendon* and what the hell was a time wasting rule? Or the embarrassment of running into Aunt Kath at the game looking splendid with her hair in curlers at Western Oval. (Hey Aunt Kath *waving*). I guess at least she choose a nice bogan ground for that.

I remember the day a young man a young father was killed behind us at pp some moron king hit him in front of his children. The rest of the crowd going into the race or wherever it would was safe. (The moron has been heroic enough to have done this exact act a second time). To waking up and hearing the news of young Peter Motley and that horrendous accident. The marks, miracle goals, the finals and the men that played for us even the bad ones make up the fabric of our club.

My family still goes the football back home my mum, aunts, uncles, cousins and my beautiful niece and nephew keeping up the tradition. For now my tradition is with the Carlton foreign legion and the time on the pc. But I can wait to get back to “The Game” and share a few cokes and pies with you all but for now the internet will suffice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:35 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

After coming home from a game I like to peek into the match day discussion thread and read your reactions to Carlton goals (I'm a tragic). It is fantastic and helps me re-live the moment.
I do wonder why you are all overseas and I am still waiting for Mockbel from Greeece to log on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:33 am 
John Nicholls

Good morning all. Great thread title BS and you have echoed my sentiments exactly. ChinaBlue in Shanghai has been a bit quiet lately and I hope he fires up his pc this weekend against the Crows. It is great to hear from all those of us overseas and not able to get to games. Sadly I won't get to see any games this year as I won't be back in Australia until December.
Being on TC and listening to the live streaming radio is a good as it gets. This Saturday we acrually get the game on delayed tv telecast which will be great.
Thanks also to Grofunger for the torrent link that enables me to down load the complete game within 24hrs!
Hopefully one day we actually might get to share a beer (or a coffee BS) in person
See you all on Saturday
Go Blues!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:49 am 
Stephen Silvagni

what a nice thread, I'd just like to say to all of you faithfull overseas supporters - start saving for a plane ticket, cos pretty soon you will need one to watch us play in a finals series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:54 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

the only real problem with the match day threads name is grrrofunger. someone needs to listen to his sig and insert a banning. he is such an arrogant [REDACTED]. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:59 am 
formerly Josh Kaplan

Great thread- Im going to be in Europe and studying in the states in July this year so will miss the second half of the season.
I'm thinking it will be a great challenge, but you guys will help me put it in some sort of perspective in that you havent seen your club play for years!

Keep up the fantastic work people

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:06 am 
Craig Bradley

If anyone manages to create an argument inside this thread I'll cut my own heart out. Fantastic work Blue Sombrero.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:51 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Orangewhip wrote:
If anyone manages to create an argument inside this thread I'll cut my own heart out. Fantastic work Blue Sombrero.

err thanks a lot.
"The quality of mercy is not strained.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven and those below are twice blessed"...
(with apologies to William Shakespeare but my memory is a bit wayward as it's about 39 years since I was forced to read it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:53 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Taff wrote:
Good morning all. Great thread title BS and you have echoed my sentiments exactly. ChinaBlue in Shanghai has been a bit quiet lately and I hope he fires up his pc this weekend against the Crows. It is great to hear from all those of us overseas and not able to get to games. Sadly I won't get to see any games this year as I won't be back in Australia until December.
Being on TC and listening to the live streaming radio is a good as it gets. This Saturday we acrually get the game on delayed tv telecast which will be great.
Thanks also to Grofunger for the torrent link that enables me to down load the complete game within 24hrs!
Hopefully one day we actually might get to share a beer (or a coffee BS) in person
See you all on Saturday
Go Blues!

I knew there was another chinese poster but couldn't find him amongst the others.
My research skills aren't that flash, Taff.
It's one of the few 'chinks' in my armour :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

woof wrote:
After coming home from a game I like to peek into the match day discussion thread and read your reactions to Carlton goals (I'm a tragic). It is fantastic and helps me re-live the moment.
I do wonder why you are all overseas and I am still waiting for Mockbel from Greeece to log on.

Tony? Last seen in a bad wig entering TC at an internet cafe in Athenas wasn't he?
He is a real gut-runner and we could do with him for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:59 pm 
John Nicholls

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Taff wrote:
See you all on Saturday
Go Blues!

I knew there was another chinese poster but couldn't find him amongst the others.
My research skills aren't that flash, Taff.
It's one of the few 'chinks' in my armour :roll:

China Blue gets a bit fired up so hopefully we will see him on line on Saturday. There are others lurking in the Middle Kingdom but are yet to come out from behind their computer monitors!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:15 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Wow - if that doesn't get POW I don't know what will. I too have experienced life overseas desperate for a Carlton score...the thrill of walking down Park Avenue, New York with a big smile on my face thinking to myself 'if only you knew what I was smiling about'.
Being married to an American girl - I'm pretty sure this will happen again one day...and whilst the 'missing Carlton' factor is one that makes me very apprehensive about living overseas for an extended period of time, it's posts like these that make that thought a lot more bearable.

Cheers Blue Sombrero!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:18 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:
Wow - if that doesn't get POW I don't know what will. I too have experienced life overseas desperate for a Carlton score...the thrill of walking down Park Avenue, New York with a big smile on my face thinking to myself 'if only you knew what I was smiling about'.
Being married to an American girl - I'm pretty sure this will happen again one day...and whilst the 'missing Carlton' factor is one that makes me very apprehensive about living overseas for an extended period of time, it's posts like these that make that thought a lot more bearable.

Cheers Blue Sombrero!

I get that smile walking down Sukhimvit Road sometimes but there, everybody knows why you are smiling...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:31 pm 
Horrie Clover

sandramd wrote:
standing under the Robert Heatley stand on cans of empty soda

You have obviously been in the states for too long sandramd!! :wink:

Thank god for Setanta Sports....we used to get 3 live games a week in the States when I was there last year. Hardly saw the Blues at all though :cry:

The coverage in NZ is pretty good and most Kiwi's actually like Aussie Rules - they don't really understand it but they like the guys jumping on each others back.....Barry's left hook on Staker got some coverage too of course.

Go Blues!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Been living in Sydney for almost 23 years now - For most of those years you craved any sort of footy info - the coverage on FTA TV used to be better and when the Blues played at PP you could almost bet we would be live on Saturday in Sydney -we moved out of PP and Fox came along and stuffed that.

Having discoverd forums like this a few years back has rekindled my enthusiasm for footy as it was waning. Coming on here talking footy is like the old days when you sat in the pub and argued with your mates .

I watch the games on TV when i can but always have the match day thread open on the computor and always have the AFL site Game day minimised so you can constantly check the stats as they are going along .

My Misses still doesn't understand as to why I have to listen / watch every minute of every game we play - She just doesn't get it

Love the match day thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:39 pm 
Bruce Doull

Cracking thread Blue Sombrero, thank you! :-D

I was overseas for the Collingwood game, alas not even radio reception has made it to Tasmania, let alone the interweb.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:01 pm 
Craig Bradley

As a kid I remember listening to the 1981 GF on the short-wave from Honiara, Solomon Islands.

There was no telly in the Solomons & I had been living there since '78 so the only way I knew what some of the players looked like was a set of Scanlen's footy cards I had collected three years previously.

When we returned to Vic in '82 my Dad started driving me up to Waverley from Phillip Island to watch a few Blues games, the first I'd ever seen. I was in my own little Blue Heaven that year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:19 pm 
Ken Hunter

I remember driving into Wellington, NZ, back in 2001, and listening to the tail-end of the Blues v Aints match on ABC radio!!

Blues got up.

bluedog enjoyed his holiday even more. :)

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:50 pm 
Bruce Doull

GOOOOOOOOO BLUES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good stuff guys and really what this place is all about

i will try and keep up the "prolific posting" in the match day threads even if it is all crap and i'm an arrogant bastard ;)

amazing the far reach us blues have

see ya'll saturday ( or friday wherever you are )

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.