Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:56 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Just looked at Foxtel coverage for Saturday night and cannot believe that they are showing a replay of the Friday night game at 9.00pm and showing the delayed telecast of the CFC Match at 11:30pm! Yet its the only game playing saturday night.
Free to air here is Sydney comes on at 11pm.
What gives?
I'm feeling pretty homesick for Melbourne right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

Part of the problem is this: Whenever I talk to the various parties I get this response:

Me: Why can't you enforce the contract which means Sydney viewers get better access to all matches on FTA?
AFL: There are more matches being played on FTA since the new broadcasting contact came into place.
Me: Yeah, that's fine if you're a Swans fan, but just because we live in Sydney, we're not all Swans fans. Some of the matches are being played through the season as late as 4am the next morning
AFL: Hmm, that's not good, thanks for that feedback, we weren't aware of that {yeah right}
Me: But the match which is being shown live on Ch10 this weekend in Melbourne isn't being shown until 11:30 on Fox, and 12:30am the next morning on 10
AFL: Well, it's up to the FTA stations when they schedule the matches.

Me: Why is the match between Carlton and Essendon* being played so late at night on a Sunday night, and not earlier in the evening, maybe at 10:30, after NCIS?
FTA channel: Well, it's got to do with us showing matches when we feel the audience would like to watch it.
Me: But the match was shown live against the gate in Melbourne, why can't you show it a little earlier than 12:30am Monday morning?
FTA Channel: It has to fit in with our programming schedule.
Me: Can Ch10 release the match so Fox can show it earlier than 11:30pm? Maybe on a 1-2hr delay, so at least we with friends with Fox can see it at a reasonable time?
FTA Channel: It's up to Fox when they schedule the match
Me: But Fox aren't allowed to show it until after you do, are they?
FTA Channel: That's right.
Me: So it's pretty disgraceful for you to withhold the program from Sydney viewers by playing it so late
FTA Channel: We'll send you an IOU for 40 cents.

And on it goes. The buck gets passed around the cosy little circle-jerk otherwise known as The Consortium. Each one will give a (plausible) excuse for why it is that Sydney viewers (or interstaters) get [REDACTED] over time and again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:29 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Yeah KK I've been following your crusade on this-good on you for the effort.
I just don't think we'll get very far-look at how badly the tv up here treats the local Swans coverage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:34 pm 
Robert Walls

it's just a [REDACTED] in canberra and souther NSW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:35 pm 
Bruce Doull

I posted a thread about this "in the old days" of TBV :roll: about sticking it to the AFL. I'm still waiting on a response from them about specific viewing statistics.

However, feel free to send something in to aflbroadcasting@afl.com.au describing the problems we face. It's just obscene that the biggest city in the country gets a very narrow viewing of matches, and who cares about the rest.....