Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:51 pm 
Garry Crane

Really, really disappointed with the result against Collingwood. We got what we deserved in terms of a BS result.

A few queries for us to ponder from the first 3 rounds:

Where has the accurate footpassing gone from the Wiz Cup? Particularly when there is no real pressure. I thought we were over the long bomb in hope to the forward line. I can’t blame Fev and Lance for their efforts to date. They are running to the spaces like they did during the pre-season, they are chasing hard and laying tackles, but our delivery to them has been just terrible. How many times have they had to stop and prop? Kick it out in front of them FFS!!!!!

Where is the running in numbers????? Where is the harassing? Where is the skill level? Where has the aggression at the ball and hard chasing gone? How many times were Collingwood able to find someone on their own? We did not man up and chase hard to make a contest. It seemed we were prepared to let them dictate the game after half-time.

As has been said in numerous threads, 1 good quarter in 12 will not win football matches – although we looked reasonable in the first half. Maybe we as supporters got ahead of ourselves because of the pre-season success, but flower, the players have lost the intensity and commitment that they showed us.

Shane Crawford made a good point when putting forward his selection on the Footy Show last Thursday – “Any side that can have Andrew Walker as an emergency must be travelling wellâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:02 pm 
Robert Walls

lot of emotion in that post.

mostly valid point though.

i dont agree with the walker comments though. he needs to earn his spot.

he didnt' do much at all in the wizzer cup imo.

and hasn't had a chance to do much since with an injury. so into the VFL for i dont think that was a bad decision. by the reports he's done well and 26 possies might earn him a call up.

campo deserves to be suspended for the second time this year.
2 week break coming up.

I'd like to see chambers come in due to his speed and experience. wiz cup from was great and then he got injuried. sounds like he didnt do much in the VFL last week which is a worry.

Simpson is a chance if campo goes, and he needs game time and needs to do something with it. (like his game v crows last year).

Bentick straight swap for johnson.

Banno and Livo? mmm Maybe drop wiggins for one of these two. dont know how much difference livo will make this week to be honest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:23 pm 
Rod Ashman

Unfortunately, the 4 games the guys have played in sapping heat will take an even greater toll. Expect an even more dispirited, lethargic performance come Saturday night. Our season will start on the 29th April when we meet the dawks. We will be 1-4 at that stage.

The Carlton bus is full of passengers at this stage and I cant see a bus stop for a long while to dump them!!! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:49 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

I agree...but what's worse is, I watched the ants on Saturday, and NO ONE
there looked ready to step up. Says a lot about our depth ( Maybe Walker, Bentick, )

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:50 pm 
Craig Bradley

Laguna wrote:
Where is the running in numbers????? Where is the harassing? Where is the skill level? Where has the aggression at the ball and hard chasing gone? How many times were Collingwood able to find someone on their own? We did not man up and chase hard to make a contest. It seemed we were prepared to let them dictate the game after half-time.

In no particular order: Bigger ground (rounds 2 & 3). Longer quarters. Injuries. Smaller interchange bench. Sustained hot conditions (over 4 rounds).

None of these of course are excuses, but I wonder if the unique conditions we had during Wizard Cup may have masked some of our deficiencies in the running department.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:07 pm 
Rod Ashman

borcho wrote:
I agree...but what's worse is, I watched the ants on Saturday, and NO ONE
there looked ready to step up. Says a lot about our depth ( Maybe Walker, Bentick, )

geez, was it that bad???!!! Only divine intervention can help us here.... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:17 pm 
Geoff Southby

Today is a day quite common for Mondays. I don't really want to work, as I've had a gutful and I'm holding out for my 6 week holiday in August / SEptember. Plus, the weather is still beautiful and I can't believe we're getting 30's in Melbourne in April. Ask the Carlton boys, I'm sure they weren't expecting it either!

But days like this I sometimes roam, have a look at other Carlton sites and add some comments when they irk me. And boy do they irk me.

On both CSC and TBV right now you can join in an anti-Houla barrage like you've never seen. Doesnt matter that he got 21 stats, kept his man out of the game bar 1 cheap goal, and is the third youngest blus to play 100. Doesn't matter at all, he's weak and we should dump him.

Also on CSC you can join in to bag our youth policy and recruit more mid 20 year olds, after all, Jason Torney is a great player.

Now excuse me, who was it that bagged Carlton fans the other week? Perhaps someone spending time over on other sites???

Cool, i feel better now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:18 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Yes Marciblue.....I asked a guy, what was the score in seniors, he said ...blues up by 20 odd points. What a shock I got when I got home after suffering that lot all day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:29 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

There's been a fair bit of that on TC since Saturday also.

As a former Houla critic (I once said I would not re-new my membership if he or Fevola played for the club again) I cannot speak any higher of his value to this team. I was clearly wrong about him. He's obviously hurting right now and we need to give him a break...both from the bagging and from playing football. Get his knee right so he can dominate games like he did last season.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

TruBlueBrad wrote:

As a former Houla critic (I once said I would not re-new my membership if he or Fevola played for the club again) I cannot speak any higher of his value to this team. I was clearly wrong about him. He's obviously hurting right now and we need to give him a break...both from the bagging and from playing football. Get his knee right so he can dominate games like he did last season.

So I must have missed that, thats good... maybe i'm playing favourites?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:39 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

molsey wrote:
TruBlueBrad wrote:

So I must have missed that, thats good... maybe i'm playing favourites?

Sorry, not really based on Houla, but our young players in general, been a very negative feel about it IMO. I saw the thread's on TBV last week on Houla, thats more what I was responding too.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:18 pm 
Horrie Clover

Sadly Houla is just one that Carlton fans love to bag.

Nothing can't be fixed!

http://www.talkingcarlton.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=25186&highlight=houla#25186

changes for round 4

http://www.talkingcarlton.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=25186&highlight=houla#25186

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:24 pm 
Robert Walls

Yet Houla was named by Pagan as one of our 4 best players! Sheik has had it in him for as long as I can remember and I don't think anything will ever change his mind. Ask him how many games he has attended in person lately? (0) People who start making lists of who we should trade/ delist after one early season loss should know better. And I should know better than to go to CSC after a loss like that because as disappointed as I was, going there and reading all that **** did not make me feel any better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:08 am 
Ken Hunter

To be fair guys, most of that Houla thread was written last year between Rds 9 and 14. :wink:

With regards to the trading policy...Sheik's not saying get Torney/Walsh (and why would you?), he's saying we need more mature defenders - we've a lot of mature midfielders/forwards, but very few defenders like these 2.

Quote:
People who start making lists of who we should trade/delist after one early season loss should know better.

Sheik's not the only one to do so at CSC lately...there's some bloke calling himself "Lawrence Angwin" who did it too - I thought some journos had no idea. At least Sheik put some thought into it.

Look, I'm a TCer and a CSCer. I think both sites have upsides and downsides. But these differing aspects is what makes them great, to me. If this offends anyone (I can't see why it would), so be it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:54 am 
Robert Walls

BlueWorld wrote:
People who start making lists of who we should trade/ delist after one early season loss should know better.

Now it's happened here! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:45 pm 
Horrie Clover

BlueWorld wrote:
BlueWorld wrote:
People who start making lists of who we should trade/ delist after one early season loss should know better.

Now it's happened here! :roll:

10 fold!