Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:57 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

SurreyBlue wrote:
Gentleman, Andrew Phillips was a little beauty destined to be a great CFC player. Those that saw him play will know what I'm talking about. :( Really hurt us when he went down and then soon after Whitehead followed. :cry:

I think the late 90's even early 00's might have been different if these two where up and running.

To think he missed out playing along side Williams who would've been feeding him the ball endlessly.

Everything indicated he was destined to be one of the League's elite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:59 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

SurreyBlue wrote:
Gentleman, Andrew Phillips was a little beauty destined to be a great CFC player. Those that saw him play will know what I'm talking about. :( Really hurt us when he went down and then soon after Whitehead followed. :cry:

I think the late 90's even early 00's might have been different if these two where up and running.

Fondly recall him snagging that one from a big pack to sink the Filth at Arctic Park :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:05 pm 
Geoff Southby

Ponkstar wrote:
Andain wrote:
I was a fan of James Cook for most of his career. A young full forward who could kick a bag wearing navy blue seemed like a dream come true duing a era when every other club seemed to have a dominant full forward.

I was at one of his first games against North where he took an absolute specky and thought man, this kid is going to be huge....

Two of my favourites were Warren McKenzie and Darren Ogier.

Ogier! He was my Economics teacher Years 10-12. Top bloke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:25 pm 
Horrie Clover

Yep, Andy Phillips was the real deal: professional, hard-working, extremely popular with his team-mates and a natural footballer. I've run into him a handful of times since, and it's safe to say he's a top bloke as well.

verbs wrote:
Phillips got off to a slow start to his career, he only managed 13.5 touches a game in his first 22 games.

Some of you may have shared my frustration with this at the time: Flipper would regularly (i.e. in most of these first 22 matches) warm the bench for the entire first three quarters, then emerge with 6-8 touches in a blinding last quarter, before sitting out the first three quarters again the following week. This would carry on for a few weeks, then Flipper would go back to the twos, get 30-odd possies, only to return to the seniors the next week to do it all again!

Every minute of it was a joy to watch, though, and the premature end to his footy career was a tragedy for him, the club and all of us. Andy well and truly got on with living, though, and has made a great success of everything he's done since. Kudos, Flipper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:30 pm 
Bob Chitty

Greg " I've played 100's of games at Full back in the 2nds" Sharpe No. 29.

Only issue was that Curly and Southby were playing in Premierships in the Seniors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:55 pm 
Bruce Comben

Stevie Kenna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:27 pm 
John James

Adrian Whitehead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:27 am 
Ken Hands

AIRCAV wrote:
Steve Da Rui. Was a big lad and had a great touch of ongrel in him.

Heard an interesting story how one of our Carlton Officials travelled to Perth to have a good look at Mark Bairstow (Geelong) as there was interst in him. In that particular game Steven Da Rui played on him and beat him on the day hence we picked him up instead. Bairstow ended up being one of the finest midfielders in the competition. What could have been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:48 am 
Rod Ashman

John Trezise lol, first footy card of a Carlton player i ever seen. I never seen any of his games. The 80s i say Rohan Burke or Gerald Butts,because of his surname was cool. The 90s Stephen Oliver or Rohan Welsh. This Century Brett Backwell and Callan Beasy.

Last edited by Rambo Stallone on Thu May 01, 2008 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:50 am 
Rod Ashman

Nicko Carstairs wrote:
Adrian Whitehead

lol he played a premiership and over 50 games,he surely made it,just didn't have a big career.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:51 am 
Robert Walls

16 flags wrote:
Good call mc
Richard Dennis was a good player in a premiership year in 1987
I could never work out what went wrong in 88. We were equal with Hawthorn at the halfway mark (9 wins 2 losses) but then went off the boil. Losing Dennis was one of the reasons.
He could never establish himself in the side again and limped of to the Kangaroos in 92.

His knee injury in mid 1988 was a disaster - altering the structure of th forward line and taking away the extra marking option. We fell away after that.
As for Rocky himself, his knee just didn't recover like most do now. He really lost a fair bit of pace and just didn't get to the contest like he did in 1987. I can think of only 1 game where Rocky played true to his 1987 after the injury - against Essendon*.
As he lost confidence, so did the MC. He went to North to rekindle his career and did get a few games, but never at his old standard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:39 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Michael Young & Peter Francis - our Premiership wingmen from 1979 - deserved to have distinguished careers at Carlton but were moved on.

Thought Ian Muller should've done more as had all the attributes to be a player.

David Honybun & Rhett Baynes were two blokes who showed heaps early at Carlton. Tragic what happened with Baynes once he was moved on.

I think Trent Hoppner could've made it had injury not cut him down.

John Hynes showed a lot in his debut season but just didn't get the opportunities.

Blake Campbell would've played more had injury and Pagan not intervened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:15 am 
Rod Ashman

The Legend of Murray Vance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:25 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

beowulf wrote:
16 flags wrote:
Good call mc
Richard Dennis was a good player in a premiership year in 1987
I could never work out what went wrong in 88. We were equal with Hawthorn at the halfway mark (9 wins 2 losses) but then went off the boil. Losing Dennis was one of the reasons.
He could never establish himself in the side again and limped of to the Kangaroos in 92.

His knee injury in mid 1988 was a disaster - altering the structure of th forward line and taking away the extra marking option. We fell away after that.
As for Rocky himself, his knee just didn't recover like most do now. He really lost a fair bit of pace and just didn't get to the contest like he did in 1987. I can think of only 1 game where Rocky played true to his 1987 after the injury - against Essendon*.
As he lost confidence, so did the MC. He went to North to rekindle his career and did get a few games, but never at his old standard.

Richard Dennis was "Norming it" in the first half of the 1987 Grand Final - if he had of kicked straight - (I think he kicked 1 goal 3 behinds from memory) the game would have been well and truly over by half-time. The knee injury was tragic for him as he had a great leap and strong pair of hands - at the time was a very hard match up in our forward line (he was about 6' 1" in the old money).

Warren McKenzie was a good ordinary player (Dyer'esque) kicked a rubbish time goal in the 1987 Grand Final - from then on "rubbish time goals" were accorded the nickname "Warren McKenzies". He had a good pair of hands - but struggled to get a game in his preferred position at CHF because we had a bloke called Kernahan at the time, ended up going to Sydney but didn't do an awful lot there. I recall getting smashed and high fiving Warren in the Social Club in the early hours after the 1987 Grand Final. :oops:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:42 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

darknavy wrote:
The Legend of Murray Vance

Funny you should bring him up. I was just looking over a few things this morning and realised he is only 28. Could be worth a punt as a mature age rookie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Inspired by this great thread I have made Andrew Phillips the Blueseum's past player of the week. http://www.blueseum.org

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:28 am 
Bruce Comben

Been away from this site for years and just spent a pleasant twenty minutes or so revisiting this thread.

Particularly (although off thread topic) enjoyed the comment a few pages back that I'm too lazy to go back and quote that the poster was devastated when we missed the finals two years in a row.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:19 pm 
Harry Vallence

Brian Kekovich , and he had made it , but i was devastated he never played another game after the 1968 GF. A short career of 34 games for 97 goals. We didn't lose a game he played in 1968 and his his 4 goals in the GF were vital in our win.

Had a back injury and was advised at the time that if he played again, would spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

Ross Ditchburn (coulda been 100 goals every year)

Frank Marchesani (loved him running- fast- with ball in hand)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:24 pm 
Horrie Clover

I saw the title and came in to mention Andrew Phillips. Amazed he is so well remembered. He was a gun. I reckon he'd have won a Bronwlow

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next