Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:26 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

http://carltonfc.com.au/default.asp?pg= ... eid=200887

Nice article on the cfc about significant moments in the Carlton Richmond rivalry.

Have to disagree about the 5 worst moments for Carlton though.

Surely losing the 1921 Grand Final to Richmond after only losing one game for the whole year would rank in the top five. (?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:44 am 
Ken Hands

Was a nine year old at the 1972 Grand Final. I will never forget the feeling of elation after that game (especially as we started out massive underdogs). I walked on air for a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:46 pm 
Trevor Keogh

72 was awesome of course (i was 10 at the time). to finally beat those bastards.

but for me 82 gave the greatest feeling of elation. we did it very, very hard both on the day and during the season. given the number of injuries we had not only going into the game but what we copped on the day we could have been excused for accepting honourable defeat.

BUT NOT US!!!

and i'll go so far as to say that only we could have overcome so much and still win. dawks couldn't do it in 85 nor 87.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

1972 holds a special place in my heart - it was the first Grand Final that I went to and my dear old dad took me. :cry: Very Special Memories. :wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

Yeah, i would rate 1972 even higher than 1970. We were flogged in the 2nd semi replay (in 70 we lost by 10 points), struggled to win the prelim (in 70 we won by about 10 goals) and we were playing a brutal successful opposition (unlike the Colliwobblies). And the planning and pregame changes were incredibly radical and daring. We went from a side that could only manage a combined total of 17 goals in two semis against the tiges a few weeks before, we turned it on its head in the gf.....and sheeds blatantly piked it in the first qtr when big John was in the vicinity, sheeds took his eye off the ball fumbled and Trev Keogh snagged a goal.

82 was pretty good too as it evened the score on gfs in my experience, sent the Tiges to oblivion and showed up a few of their bully boys - Mark Lee and David Cloke....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:13 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Carlton and Richmond are big rivals. Not as big as St Kilda and North Melbourne though if you listen to the AFL Boss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:27 pm 
Horrie Clover

Not often in the last 25 years that Richmond was ahead of Carlton, Collingwood & Essendon* on the ladder (esp after round 8 in most years when they lose their 11 in a row :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:50 pm 
Bruce Doull

Along with the flag, '72 was a very good year for me on a personal level ;)