Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:54 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

If Setanta plays, where do we play him? What should our forward structure be?

I'd say play him one-out at FF, let Wallet worry about a 198cm guy who's desperate and good on the ground playing out of the goal square. Open the F50 as much as possible and give him space, tell Carlos to lead out into the space and deliver. If the ball hits the ground, then we know he will give a contest, hopefully the Tigers give away free kicks doing this.

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:00 am 
Bert Deacon

CarltonClem wrote:
If Setanta plays, where do we play him? What should our forward structure be?

I'd say play him one-out at FF, let Wallet worry about a 198cm guy who's desperate and good on the ground playing out of the goal square. Open the F50 as much as possible and give him space, tell Carlos to lead out into the space and deliver. If the ball hits the ground, then we know he will give a contest, hopefully the Tigers give away free kicks doing this.

I'd start him in the goalsquare and tell him to run to space. Whitnall to CHF (he'll help Setanta enormously) and Waite to CHB (he'll be too quick for Simmonds). Betts to keep doing what Betts does. Thornton to take FB. With Barnaby in the Centre that's the spine. Prendergast to relieve at CHB and do some rucking with Setanta depending on how he goes (eg: Waite goes forward when required and Prendergast switches).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:33 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Throw him loose in the forward line, with Eddie circling at his feet. What Setanta doesn't hold he'll bring to ground with his competitive spirit, then Eddie can clean up.

I'm way more excited about our prospects this weekend if Setanta plays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:29 am 
Craig Bradley

You need to give Waitey a chance to reproduce last week's form so don't stuff around too much with the forward line.

I think out of the goal square sounds sensible - just tell him no matter what to make it a contest and let Eddie sort out the rest :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:49 am 
Wayne Johnston

Use Carlos as a pinch hitting ruckman. This would allow French to rest, Prendergast to play as a tall down back on Simmonds and Deluca to remain up forward permanetly.

Wouldn't be as much pressure on Carlos in the ruck, and he can use his physical attributes to run wild and bust open packs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:55 am 
Bruce Doull

Setanta will be the target man up front with orders to hold the ball in the 50.
Something we cant do except for a couple of players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:59 am 
Geoff Southby

mjonc wrote:
Use Carlos as a pinch hitting ruckman. This would allow French to rest, Prendergast to play as a tall down back on Simmonds and Deluca to remain up forward permanetly.

Wouldn't be as much pressure on Carlos in the ruck, and he can use his physical attributes to run wild and bust open packs.

I think French's form & fitness means that he is our no.1 in the circle for the entire game. He is one of the few players who can do that, and his effectiveness is way up there (Jarusa??) so French's role is settled. Playing forward alongside Waite, Whitnall and ultimately Fev must create some headaches for opposition coaches - Waite / o'hAilpin on teh ground level could be pretty impressive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:15 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I wouldnt use him in the ruck or too far up the ground....its still early days for him and he still has a lot to learn....play him in the forward 50 and just let him run around and hopefully collect a few Richmond players along the way..it will be great if he plays and a good showing from Carlos will almost be worth a win IMHO...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:17 am 
Robert Walls

i think i'm right in saying this but the ONLY time Betts and Setanta have played in a real game toghether was two weeks ago when betts was dropped for the freo game and the kicked TEN goals between them.

i'm excited!!!!

i've got my fingers and toes crossed that two of the guys get given the weeks rest so setanta can come in. which sounds bad, but i dont care!

go santy!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:23 am 
John Nicholls

Forward line.

Going by all the VFL reports, that is where he is best suited to on the ground.

I'd have Waite at full forward, Lance at CHF directing traffic and Setanta roaming the forward line while trying to keep the ball inside our 50. If he plays, I reckon he'll be capable of doing this.

Very excited!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:35 am 
Robert Walls

For those who watch the VFL - with all this talk about Sentanta [sic] busting packs, hitting people, being intimidating, frightening small children etc - is this ACTUALLY what he does in games?

I don't recall reading anything in the Bullant reports that mentions him being this rough, tough madman that people are saying he is

Just wondering

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:41 am 
Wayne Johnston

I hope pagan plays the forward line deep this week as he did in the last quarter last week. This will stop that spare man getting behind our forwards and picking us off. I reckon Carlos can either mark it or put up a massive fight creating room for Betts to do his thing.
Carlos deep in the forward arc i reckon.

Carlos
Whittnal Betts
Waite

GO Blues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:46 am 
Bruce Doull

HTP wrote:
For those who watch the VFL - with all this talk about Sentanta [sic] busting packs, hitting people, being intimidating, frightening small children etc - is this ACTUALLY what he does in games?

I don't recall reading anything in the Bullant reports that mentions him being this rough, tough madman that people are saying he is

Just wondering

Yeah its amusing to read all that.. he is nothing like that. he plays the ball hard and chases it like a terrier, if he falls over that doesnt stop hiim he continues to compete till its way gone. I think the physicality will come out with some confidence.
Hamill will be a poor mans Setanta.

You cant expect Setanta to play a confident style of footy wil hes played a few games.
My bet is that by the end of the year we will have watched Setanta blossom into a real footballer before our very eyes.
He did it for Cork.. wasnt that great when he started but as the season aged .. he just kept stepping up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:13 am 
Bruce Doull

Play him out of the square so all he needs to do is concentrate on competing hard for the ball. If he's played further up the ground he'll be more easily exploited for lack of experience by his opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:19 am 
Ken Hunter

Just flower play him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:20 am 
Ken Hunter

Forward line, I agree. I also reckon Channel 10 should play him on FTA...but that's a whole other thread. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:25 am 
Robert Walls

dannyboy wrote:
Just F@%&#! play him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The economy of your prose brings a tear to my eye!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:28 am 
Bruce Doull

Setanta playing will allow enthusiasm to rub off to the playing group.
The other thing is what does his promotion say about Norman, Digby and Bryan?
Setanta will set the tone tomorrow.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:45 am 
Ken Hunter

Synbad wrote:
The other thing is what does his promotion say about Norman, Digby and Bryan?

Now that is an interesting question.
Too me it means those boys are knee deep in ..... and need a real turn to get out of it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:50 am 
Geoff Southby

I think Norman and Morrell are in the same boat - we're short down back and they can't crack the seniors.

I think Bryan is in a different boat as he hasn't had the chance yet, he's been recruited as a backup ruckman and will probably need to stay (barring a Mott like effort) until Batson or Aisake really start to turn it on?