Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:21 pm 
Robert Walls

Wasn't the volley goal in the 2nd semi final Bernie Evans???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:25 pm 
Rod Ashman

Glad he played ina Carlton flag side, but he was a pretty ordinary player, would hit the pack at a zillion miles an hour and if the ball fell in his arms, well and good, if not he didn't stop till he got to Royal Parade.

Also part of the worst swap in history. We gave away some Bendigo nobody to get Frase from Geelong's grasp - he was a star for G West. Anyway the guy we swapped was a G Williams, not sure if he amounted to much.

Frase was a trier but was very much a one trick pony in the right place at the right time. He would battle to get a game in the current side. I'd rate Eddie Betts a way ahead of him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:08 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Gerry he had a role to play and did it well - you are being quite harsh - back then you could be a one trick pony, it was how the game was played

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:17 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

i just remember him being fast and having what may have been a poodle on his head..... well it was either a poodle or just really shit hair :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:51 am 
Harry Vallence

With a name like mine, I'd better contribute.....

I was a kid when Fraser started and he was the first footballer I "hero worshipped". He wasn't much of a player, but I was rapt that he got a gig in the 87 flag, particularly as he was suspended for 86.

The goal he kicked to seal the game in the last quarter of the 87 GF is my best memory of him. He liked to celebrate a goal as well.

I also remembered him being on "VFL Junior Squadron" on Saturday morning one time - that was probably the reason I identified with him so much!

Not one I look back on as one of Carlton's greats, but at least he selflessly went to Collingwood and wasted a pick of theirs in making sure he didn't play a game!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:29 am 
Horrie Clover

Molly wrote:
Wasn't the volley goal in the 2nd semi final Bernie Evans???

I agree with you Molly, I recall the volley goal being by bernie evans as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:54 am 
Robert Walls

Quote:
I agree with you Molly, I recall the volley goal being by bernie evans as well

Cheers Bozman,

I thought I must have been going mad! On my bike ride home last night I thought about it, and the more I thought about it the more certain I was that it was Bernie Evans and not Fraser Murphy. Bernie Evans was also the one who got suspended from playing in the premiership... although that was the year after the volley goal (which came in the 1986 second semi).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:30 am 
Stephen Silvagni

ok - you are both WRONG, volley goal was Murphy - same game he was suspended for hitting Platten (I think), the year after in the same game against the same team, Evans got suspended to miss the GF.......

Don't doubt me on this.

Fraser Murhpy = Volley Goal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:38 am 
Stephen Silvagni

just looked up the stats from that game, Bernie Evans kicked 5, Murphy kicked 2, mmmmm interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:42 am 
Stephen Silvagni

I have my doubts now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:42 am 
Adrian Gallagher

The goal in question was definitely Bernie Evans. However I do remember Fraser doing something similar the next season and thinking "Hmmm, very similar to Bernie's goal".

Might be dreaming it up though, those glory days were a long time ago

DH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:48 am 
Robert Walls

So am I meant to doubt you or not doubt you King Kerna? :-D

I still reckon it was Bernie Evans in the 2nd semi of 1986, but am happy to believe Fraser Murphy got a similar goal in another game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:57 am 
Stephen Silvagni

I feel like I am sinking ala the Titanic,

I called a mate to ask him, first thing he said was "Barry Evans" :lol:

gee, could I believe someone who couldn't even get the name right?? I have emailed another friend who is yet to get back to me.

The guy I rang also said Evans kicked it and then got suspended - I had to correct him on this part, sooooo, time will tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:04 pm 
Robert Walls

Cheers Kerna,

no matter who wins... I'm enjoying the discussion, so am looking forward to the answer. I should say the only reason I recollect it as being Bernie Evans was because after Paul Molly Meldrum he was my favourite player at the time, and so I just remember being pretty chuffed that he was the one kicked the goal.

But will be interesting to see what your mates think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:07 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Bit hard up for picking favs weren't you? After molly you thought - mmm, lets see, sticks, braddles, dominator, kenny hunter, glascott, nah I'll go Barry :wink: Evans

Who do you like now? Houla?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:16 pm 
Robert Walls

Ohhh... that's below the belt! :-D

Truth is that the first game of VFL I ever saw live was at the SCG between Sydney and Essendon* in the last round of 1985. Essendon* were top, and Sydney were pretty close to bottom. This was the season before Williams, Healy et al arrived. Anyway, surprise, surprise Essendon* won by about 110 points... and I was sitting near Bomber fans who started chanting 'the supreme team' halfway through the second quarter. But the only bloke who took the contest up to them was Bernie Evans... hence he became a favourite of mine!

But you're right... I probably usually plump for the unfashionable types. Sticks and Braddles were never favourites, and I can guarantee right now that Judd never will be either. SOS is probably the only star who has ever been a favourite of mine. My favourite players are usually the attacking half-back flankers. Peter Dean, Andy McKay, Ang Christou to name a few.

Of the current list - haven't had favourites for too long to remember... I have high hopes for young Edwards and Murph is a favourite. But young Jamison is the man that I hope will take over as my favourite. And this kid Browne offers potential.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:11 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Molly I have now asked three people outside TC - I have got two Evans and one Murphy, add my Murphy and its 2 all.

Anyone else remember anything, Molly is winning on weight of numbers at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:08 pm 
Robert Walls

Geez Kerna,

even the Blueseum has let us down on this one. Just had a look, and no mention of the goal. Nothing under the player profiles for Bernie Evans or Fraser Murphy either.

Someone? Anyone? Help!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:39 am 
www.blueseum.org

Quote:
Some games are won and lost well before the last quarter. Others are won and lost in small periods of time where one team flexes their muscles and pounces. The 1987 Grand Final was the latter, with the Blues taking the game early in the last quarter with a spectacular run of goals to boil our Blue coloured Blood to fever pitch. First, 'Bear' Gleeson roved the pack and kicked a goal; next fellow Mosquito Mark Naley roved the pack, completed a dodge, took a bounce and roosted a major. The third of four heart pounding goals in succession went to Kernahan with a massive long kick and finally Warren McKenzie with his third mark, successfully converted. The Blues were romping away and a few late goals to the Hawks would not pull us back. Our final goal of the day went to Fraser Murphy after a deft tap by Adrian Gleeson, and as the siren sounded at 29 minutes 27 seconds, the Blues had won their 15th Premiership.

So through this thread we have Fraser Murphy kicking the last goal in the 1987 Premiership....

and another game somewhere between 1987 and 1989 where he kicked a goal to seal the game that could have been Bernie Evans? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:21 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

just watched some youtube footage, definately bernie evans that kicked the volley in 86'