Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:37 pm 
Bruce Comben

Greetings Earthlings,

Skies have been sunny over Majerczak-Verbeek-5 since Friday night (as they always are after a Carlton win). This has been a very highly anticipated club swapsies in the Obscuratron household, I can tell you, one of the most obscure and therefore most revered Carlton player of all time gets a mention.

Carlton to Richmond

1992, Mid-Season, pick 3, Ian Herman, 14 games
- The 'monster' played a few games at Tigerland after a patchy stint with the blues.
1993, Pre-Season, pick 23, Chris Bond, 100 games
- Went on to a successful career at the Tigers and also some time in a leadership role at Freo, currently an assistant coach there.
1993, Pre-Season, pick 37, Simon Verbeek, 0 games
- THE REVERED ONE, after a fabulously obscure career at Carlton tops it off with 0 games with Richmond, that was after Carlton got him from Richmond in the first place. We bow down to you our lord.
1995, National, Trade, Ben Harrison, Justin Murphy, 74 games
- A pretty fair swap in the end. After just 2 games with Carlton, Ben has gone on to forge a 160 game career in the AFL that continues to this day.
2002, National, pick 41, Tim Fleming, 34 games
- showed glimpses at the Tigers, but they were only squints in the end.
2003, National, pick 79, Simon Fletcher, 6 games
- a much maligned player at Carlton who became a much maligned player at Richmond.

Richmond to Carlton

1989, Pre-Season, pick 12, Simon Verbeek, Richmond, 38 games
- The great man cometh.
1992, National, Trade, Tim Powell, traded for pick 28, which got Jamie Tape (91 games), 11 games
- Would Jamie Tape have got Carlton over the line for the 1993 premiership?
1995, National, Trade, Justin Murphy, Ben Harrison and pick 35, which got Brad Smith (0 games), 79 games (before going to Geelong)
- One of those trades that maybe broke even, very debatable, would Harrison have been better or worse for the Blues than Murphy?

As always, would love to hear from those knowledgable Carlton supporters out there who can think of the pre-draft swapsies between these clubs. The more obscure the better!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:05 am 
Harry Vallence

David Honeybun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:38 am 
Craig Bradley

Definitely Honeybun.

Does Tim Fleming count?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:02 am 
Harry Vallence

"Bussling" Billy Barrot 12 games with us in 1971//

Graeme Robertson,9 games with us and off to theTigers for 51 in 1976.His kids are budding champions i hear.

Chris Bond,started with us then across to the Tigers..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:33 am 
Ken Hands

And F***ing Ricky Mclean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:50 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Adam Pickering

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:00 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

7dominator wrote:
"Graeme Robertson,9 games with us and off to theTigers for 51 in 1976.His kids are budding champions i hear..

Who wont be able to be claimed by either club under the current Father/Son Rule. :roll:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:04 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

7dominator wrote:

Oh mighty Obscuratron, did Billy Barrot actually move from Richmond to St.Kilda and then to Carlton all in the one year???? I have a funny feeling that he did, making him the only player in AFL/VFL history to be at 3 clubs in the space of a season. :? :?

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

What about coaches...Wallsey?

Didn't Ian Stewart coach us for a bit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

AGRO wrote:
7dominator wrote:

Oh mighty Obscuratron, did Billy Barrot actually move from Richmond to St.Kilda and then to Carlton all in the one year???? I have a funny feeling that he did, making him the only player in AFL/VFL history to be at 3 clubs in the space of a season. :? :?

From The Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers:

Barrot, William

Richmond 1961-70 120 games 91 goals
St. Kilda 1971 2 games 4 goals
Carlton 1971 12 games 10 goals

..... He never settled with the Saints and after a few weeks crossed to Carlton where Ron Barassi credited him with winning a couple of agames in his short stay.

He later transfered to North without playing a senior game and then coached VFA club Oakleight and SA's West Torrens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:

Coached us for 1 or 2 games in 1978. Where he raised the ire of all the players (in particular Robert Walls - who left the club after "snotting" Stewart - this was in response to Ian Stewart asking Robert - who was captain - where Bruce Doull was during a training session. On responding that Bruce's mother had passed away, Ian Stewart replied "Is Bruce dead?? - Robert Walls then smacked Stewart one and walked out of the club. :( Ian Stewart "retired" a few weeks later due to "ill-health" (being a heart problem, Sergio Silvagni was caretaker coach for a few weeks.

Carlton approached people like Neil Roberts and a variety of others to take on the job - finally they appointed Jezza - who took us from the bottom of the ladder - with a first up victory against "The Filth" at Victoria Park - to the finals in 1978 and as they say in 1979 the rest is history. :wink:

Winston Churchill

Last edited by AGRO on Tue May 03, 2005 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:47 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

AGRO wrote:
CK95 wrote:

Coached us for 1 or 2 games in 1978. Where he raised the ire of all the players (in particular Robert Walls - who left the club after "snotting" Stewart - this was in response to Ian Stewart asking Robert - who was captain - where Bruce Doull was during a training session. On responding that Bruce's mother had passed away, Ian Stewart replied "Is Bruce dead?? - Robert Walls then smacked Stewart one and walked out of the club. :(

Is that right!?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :oops:

Wonder where Ian Stewart was when his son drove into the back of a truck - Dinner at Wallsy's perhaps??

Instant Karma's gonna get you....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:22 pm 
Harry Vallence

Gee we all put a bit of shit on Wallsy but hey I gotta say he just jumped up a notch in my eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

Honybun was actually a decent player if he hadn't have had so many back problems. I remember he starred for Richmond in a night game back in 88 when the tigers (last on the ladder) upset us (first on the ladder)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:38 pm 
Rod Ashman

Wasnt there also a coach by the name of Ian Thoroughgood sometime in the 1970's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

blueman wrote:
Wasnt there also a coach by the name of Ian Thoroughgood sometime in the 1970's?

Coached us in 1976 and 1977 - took over from John Nicholls who "retired" just days before the start of the 1976 season. Ian Thorogood was coach of our Reserves - and was appointed as literally the season was only hours from starting.

Thorogood took us to the Preliminary Final in 1976 which we lost by 1 point to North Melbourne - and we missed the finals in 1977 for the first time since 1971. Ian Stewart was then appointed coach for the 1978 season.

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:14 am 
Harry Vallence

AGRO wrote:
blueman wrote:

Coached us in 1976 and 1977 - took over from John Nicholls who "retired" just days before the start of the 1976 season. Ian Thorogood was coach of our Reserves - and was appointed as literally the season was only hours from starting.

Thorogood took us to the Preliminary Final in 1976 which we lost by 1 point to North Melbourne - and we missed the finals in 1977 for the first time since 1971. Ian Stewart was then appointed coach for the 1978 season.

Agro,i always thought that 1976 was the most disappointing year in our history.A great side that under-achieved when it counted..
Geez,i hated those finals losses in crap conditions at Waverley vs North/Hawks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:05 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

7dominator wrote:
AGRO wrote:
blueman wrote:

Agro,i always thought that 1976 was the most disappointing year in our history.A great side that under-achieved when it counted..

Yeah absolutely - we had a team that included 5 members of our Team of the Century:

- Jezza
- Doull
- Walls
- Keogh
- Southby

and others like Jones, Armstrong, Ashman, Maclure and Southby.

I think it boiled down to a lack of respect to Thorogood (the coach) but something that was never made clear - was why did John Nicholls resign only 3 days before that season started??

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:56 am 
Laurie Kerr

7dominator wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Agro, we missed the finals in 1974.

And I agree with 7dom - 1976 was a most disappointing year. Mid-season the side lost five games in a row (our only H&A losses) but either side of that run they played some awesome footy. If I remember correctly our run of losses coincided with Mike Fitzpatrick coming back from Oxford and being rushed back into the seniors with a run or two in the Twos.

The side twice well beat Hawthorn (the eventual premiers), lost narrowly to North (the eventual runners-up) but in the return game, just before the finals, we beat them by 7 or 8 goals. I remember Robert Walls kicking 10 against Richmond, with 5 or 6 in the third quarter and playing even better in the return game.

Then the finals came. I can still picture Geoff Abblett in the 2nd Semi, many times running down a wing with the ball. I remember Walls and David McKay having shockers in the Prelim. It was a really low quality game; I was sitting behind a goal, the one Carlton were kicking to in the last quarter. Late in the game we were a point down and either Walls or McKay were lining up for goal, from 25 metres out and I was saying "I hope he kicks it to me." My dad pointed out that if it went straight to us, it would be a behind, and I just said that neither side deserved to win. My dad agreed with my assessment. The kick went out of bounds on the full.