Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:15 am 
Robert Walls

With Campo back from suspension, it definetly adds an extra kick to our midfield, which nearly got run over the top off last week Vs the Demons.

Lance is proving all his critics over the years wrong, and i bet hes loving it.

Chambers has been awesome so far, we really didnt here much of him being a goal kicking midfielder, but he most certainly is.

Livingston, still looks a bit shakey in defence, but as long as his man is kept quiet, we dont mind if he has 0 possies at the end of the day.

Scotland came out during the week very confident the Blues had what it takes to win the Wiz Cup. And although it may not mean a lot to most supporters, it means a lot to the players knowing they can go all the way. The Wiz cup is still an A Grade competition, and its only an excuse teams use when they loose, "its only the Wizard Cup".

I think Cartlon will beat the Bulldogs, with the TWIN TOWERS up forward, and the Bulldogs lack of experienced big backmen, they should have a field day, or night as it will be.

Our defence is probably more settled, and our midfield is equal if not better. And surely they will be out for revenge after losing to the doggies last year at Optus.

Forza Carlton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:01 am 
Ken Hunter

All I have to say on this issue is:

GO THE BLUEBOYZ!!!!!

Loyal & Proud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:14 pm 
Bruce Doull

We can win, and probably should win with the major concern being the Eade flood. With Lance up and firing our forward line has more potency than it has for a while, and Livo holding down full-back has allowed Thornton to mave out to CHB where his creativity is invaluable. I think we have the run-with players to shut down their dangerour midfielders who always kick a few goals.
I'm tipping the Blues to win by 15 in a tight, low scoring affair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:20 pm 
Robert Walls

Smith is eligable to play now, he challenged the penalty and got off. So why suspend him in the first place. The tribunal still is a joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:22 pm 
Rod Ashman

italian_styles wrote:
Smith is eligable to play now, he challenged the penalty and got off. So why suspend him in the first place. The tribunal still is a joke.

Unless I've missed something he got his suspension reduced to 1 week...so he'll miss this week

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:23 pm 
John James

Whoever makes the most of their chances at the Dome will win, simple as that.

A Kouta/Campo less Carlton midfield was absolutely killed today by a superior Melbourne midfield, that resulted in more scoring shots to Melbourne, but no-one to kick it to, after Neitz got a hiding from Livo. 80% of Melbourne's goals ended up coming from lucky free kicks or pure lucky off the ground goals, mostly from Robertson.

Carlton had 2 leading forwards who barely dropped anything all day, and Melbourne had no-one to play on them.

Huge questions remain as to whether or not Eade's flooding game can work under the pressure of TD, and against arguably the best rebounding defence in the league in the form of Lappin, Houlihan and Thornton.

Match-ups wise, I expect Rawlings to go to Fev, given he has quite a good record on him, and not quite sure who will take Whitnall. Whitnall plays too far up the ground, and spends the last 5 minutes of every quarter as a loose man in the backline, and can't see Eade wanting to take Harris that far up the ground, but if he goes for it, then certainly a match up the Blues will want. I'd say Hargraves but not sure if he can match Whitnall in the air. If I were Rodney Eade, I would be tempted to play Rohan Smith on him, exploit Whitnall for pace, having him continually move up forward, and making Whitnall play moreso down back than ever, taking one more big bloke out of Carlton's 50 and giving the flood that much more of a threat.

One thing I have noticed is that we sorely lack the 3rd tall as vacated by Fisher and Archie, which has been covered up by Whitnall marking everything and Fev covering more ground towards the wings than normal, but given the defensive game of Eade, that would be quickly nixxed, hence the need for Carlos, or even Prenda to be stationed as our 3rd tall.

Another thought though, whoever wins, you'd hope the Kangas get up, seeing as both the Kangaroos and the Eagles have a MUCH higher aggregate than the Dogs or Blues, and an Eagles win would see them play the GF at Subi. Hardly the ideal preparation to start the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:24 pm 
John James

Yep, Smith got reduced to a week, not cleared. There goes all that work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:24 pm 
Robert Walls

fevolaaaa wrote:
italian_styles wrote:

Unless I've missed something he got his suspension reduced to 1 week...so he'll miss this week

Yes your right, im sorry i read the article wrong. Hes suspended. My bad.
I just saw the pick of him smiling like hed been cleared, LOL. sorry for the heart races.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:29 pm 
Robert Walls

Cammo, i take it you wrote that last sunday?

anyway, we are leading the eagles by about 4 goals i think so hopefully we can beat the dogs and maintain enough of a lead to host the WCGF.

also smith wont be playing so your idea of him on lance cant happen. which is great news for us.
i'll be bitterly dissapointed if we loose this but wouldnt put it past us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:30 pm 
Bruce Doull

Cammo wrote:

Had Smith been cleared to play and given the task on Whitnall it'd be a brave move to try to drag someone in Whitnall's form to the other end of the ground. If I was Lance I'd just say "Piss off down there if you like, I'll just hang around here unchecked and mark everything that comes within cooee".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:44 pm 
Rod Ashman

Cammo wrote:
Another thought though, whoever wins, you'd hope the Kangas get up, seeing as both the Kangaroos and the Eagles have a MUCH higher aggregate than the Dogs or Blues, and an Eagles win would see them play the GF at Subi. Hardly the ideal preparation to start the year.

I don't know what you're getting at there :? The Eagles have kicked 27 goals, Carlton 31. Eagles would have to win and kick at least 4 goals more than we do to host the final (I'd take it if the goal tallies are level they'll go to Supergoals and we've probably kicked more [if we lose by one we can thank the Chambers non decision])

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:49 pm 
Geoff Southby

I want WCE to get a home grand final against us.

This is because I'm in perth for a wedding that weekend and I'm already missing this weeks game. Bugger the lot of you, I want to see them win!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:50 pm 
Horrie Clover

If Eade wants to flood then god help whoever is standing in the hole in front of Fev.............just keep your elbow tucked in son

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:06 pm 
John James

So I'd be wrong in assuming it's based on goals scored in total, rather than percentage?

Then, bring on the Eagles!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:08 pm 
John James

Wojee wrote:
Cammo wrote:

Had Smith been cleared to play and given the task on Whitnall it'd be a brave move to try to drag someone in Whitnall's form to the other end of the ground. If I was Lance I'd just say "Piss off down there if you like, I'll just hang around here unchecked and mark everything that comes within cooee".

Well, Lance seems to always head back there with 5 minutes to go in a quarter anyway. With the Bulldog's flooding game, it would allow for a Hargraves or a Harris to man him up whilst a smaller player runs off him up the ground (Johnson?). If the flood works and Whitnall is held quiet, it may provoke him to move up the ground to get into the play more. Last 2 weeks show our best patches in the game were when Lance was heavily involved.

And yes- written on Sunday night