Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Barnaby needs help!!
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:54 pm 
Bob Chitty

Was at the game on Friday night and watched the reply as well. Think that Barnaby had another good game but he seriously needs some help out there. De luca worries me big time in the ruck as we always lose momentum. Don't think that Prenda and Red are solutions as they can only take the odd ruck contest here and there. French needs someone to give him a DECENT rest and provide a DECENT contest!!

Do we have a solution here or are our developing ruckmen not there yet?

Post subject: Re: Barnaby needs help!!
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:18 pm 
Bert Deacon

Pickle wrote:
Was at the game on Friday night and watched the reply as well. Think that Barnaby had another good game but he seriously needs some help out there. De luca worries me big time in the ruck as we always lose momentum. Don't think that Prenda and Red are solutions as they can only take the odd ruck contest here and there. French needs someone to give him a DECENT rest and provide a DECENT contest!!

Do we have a solution here or are our developing ruckmen not there yet?

Yep Ruck is a definite problem for us at the moment. Deluca simply isn't up to it and will play a relieving role much like Prendergast does but mostly in the side as a forward target. Chris Bryan hasn't come on as hoped and I suspect is a bit lumbering for AFL level which isn't such a problem if you're a tall ruckman but Chris Bryan isn't. For Chris Bryan to really make an impact I think he needs to model himself on Will Minson from the Bulldogs and throw his weight around a bit.

This of course leaves us with the question of what does the club do at the end of the year and I suspect a combination of find another good young ruckman not getting an opportunity at another club (not sure of options here) and probably promote Setanta to the senior list will be the solution. If Setanta (seen him ruck a few times) can provide some relief for Barnaby and go forward as well then he'll be a permanent fixture in the side, not sure where this would leave Deluca in this situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:29 pm 
Geoff Southby

Interesting call spf, perhaps thats it. The Bryan recruiting call was quickly characterised as insurance should Barnie go down, plus our clearances really drop off when ARchie goes into the middle.

IF Santy did go forward though he'd be different to DeLuca as a forward. From what I've seen, Santy plays as a mid-height player with good leading and very competitive on the ground. DeLuca plays tall although he is currently in one of his hard hands period, dropping everything but lean backwards marks ie not taking passes, but seems to take those aimed well over his head. If only we could get this damn forward line to click, Waite well & truly carried us the other night - we need to get some cohesion in there. Sometimes it looks like the midfielders dont really know which way to enter the forward line, with limited or slow leading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:34 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I disagree I thought Deluca rucked well at times v Hawthorn....Bryan needs a game before bagging him....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:36 pm 
Ken Hunter

Bryan should be called up this week to support French in the ruck as I think Frenchy is starting to feel the pinch. He has rucked for the majority of 9-10 weeks (WizCup included).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:43 pm 
Geoff Southby

Elwood Blues1 wrote:
I disagree I thought Deluca rucked well at times v Hawthorn....Bryan needs a game before bagging him....

Fair call Elwood, but is a game in the 2's mean that Pagan doesn't think he's there yet? Can we assume that Bryan's non appearance means that he'll only get a game with Frenchy down... after all, we've played a few tall teams and he ain't been in yet.

I understand that French currently only trains once a week with a boys given how sore he gets after each game - can a training watcher confirm this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:46 pm 
Bert Deacon

Elwood Blues1 wrote:

If Chris Bryan was to come to in, then who would we drop from the side? Deluca is the obvious choice but is a taller forward option than Bryan.

Has Bryan been tried in defence? Could he be a defensive option and relieving ruck?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:47 pm 
Rod Ashman

Quote:

not sure anyone is bagging him, but he has to show a bit for the ants to be competitive in the one's. i thought he looked a bit slow and interestingly setanta was rucked for half the 3rd and almost the entire last qtr even tho he appeared exhausted. looked more of a screen test for setanta than bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:05 pm 
Horrie Clover

It's funny how quickly our opinions change on some players....only last year there wouldn't have been to many of us that rated Barnaby as one of the best ruckman but his form this year is great...

De Luca surely will improve his rucking with more experience ( only 22 ) and a few more kilos...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:25 pm 
Rod Ashman

Maxwell Smart wrote:
It's funny how quickly our opinions change on some players....only last year there wouldn't have been to many of us that rated Barnaby as one of the best ruckman but his form this year is great...

I wasn't one of them that's for sure, but yes he does need help. I have been saying that since the WC. Luckily for us he's very very fit. I would be interested to know if he only trains once a week as well.

Today, when I take a close look at my Baggy Green, as I often do, I see mateship, camaraderie and teamwork, and a sense of belonging. I hope that its legacy lives on and the spirit it provides stays strong. Stephen 'Tugga' Waugh - Never Say Die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:34 pm 
Bruce Comben

Agree that Barnaby needs help. If he was to keep going at his present rate, his body will be stuffed by the end of the season. He is to be applauded for his work rate this year to date, Wizard cup included.

I'm actually a fan of DeLuca generally, because of his ability to play forward, but his ruckwork must develop further. His form has been up and down, but not totally shithouse. Agree he needs more time and kilos.

I never like Whitnall in the ruck - not big enough, no leap, too slow to get to the contest. Leave red in the forward line, where he does his best work.

With our present stock, Preda is surely the answer? With his endurance I think he does well in the 'round the ground role, when relieving Barnaby. Sure, he's not as big as he'd ideally be for a ruck ( 192cm, 98kg) but he does contest and does cover the ground. His athletic skills and endurance are major positives. He also likes the role, which is a further plus. form has been patchy this year although in the bullants game this week against Box Hill Hawks was good, apparently.

Prenda quote from Mike and Dan article on CFC site:

[quote]“I obviously have to improve my ruckwork, but my strength is getting around the ground. The plan is to expose the bigger ruckmen through the game. I enjoy the role when I get the opportunity.â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:54 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The following is Bluemarks report on Chris Bryans Bullants form on the weekend...taken from the Bullants section, I'm sure he doesnt mind me using it...

Bryan, Big strong and mobile. Gave Holland a bath in the ruck. Liked everything I saw him do today. Has just the right amount of aggression that we need at the ball and player, however he is also able to make space for himself. A very good kick over 40 metres firing low fast passes to teammates chests. Will be the back up ruckman we need later this year (if he gets elevated) certainly next year.

The report tells me that Bryan is worth a game at some stage and should be perservered with....tall players especially ruckman should not be dismissed as easily as some have done..Brendon Lade was a no name ruckman who became a vital link for Port and I think Bryan is worth time and effort in developing.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:18 pm 
Rod Ashman

that's not what i saw elwood, but i've only seen half a game so i'll bow to bm's judgement. he looked slow to me, not able to get quickly to a contest. and the fact that setanta did most of the ruckwork in the second half makes me wonder whether the match committee is considering moving Bryan up. i would have thought he'd ruck all day if he was auditioning for the firsts. if he gets a game i hope he goes really well, but on yesterday, i didn't think he looked a senior player. i guess i just don't see him being a better ruck option than deluca or prenda. and i think he's too slow for a forward

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

Woohoo!!! I've made it now!!!! Being quoted !!!!