Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Where are we at?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:59 pm 
Robert Walls

Its been an interesting season to say the least. We havent played a lot of good footy and a lot of our key players have been down
Fev - struggling and now suspended
Campo - suspended a couple times, hasnt been in the best of form
Stevens - played some average games - thought he played really poorly against the hawks (dropped marks, turnovers to opposition, smothered kicks)
Lappin - shocker against the hawks and has been down stats wise the past few weeks
houlahan - also been having some down patches
scotland - suspension
thornton - been injured
livingston - injured
whitnall - been average up forward - I think his game has been really affected by the loss of key talls down back
teague - down on last year though his game against the hawks is an improvement

Thats a list of about 10 key players that have struggled at various times of this year (some more than others). I think if you said that these players would be like this last year, most people would write us off. Without going into too much anaylsis we are now 2-1-3 on the season and effectively sitting just one game out of the 8. We have been in the contest of EVERY game, competed well and there have been no blowout losses. I dont think we have done too badly overall - the collingwood loss being the only really bad loss.

1. Regardless of what people think of north, despite losing today they are 6-1 and there are 14 other teams in the comp atm that would like to be in that situation. Perhaps they are actually better than most give them credit for (certainly better than I thought) - dont see them keeping in the top 4 for the entire season but they should finish in the 8 imho. Given that we didnt have thornton and lost livingston in the 1st quarter I cant say that I'm too disappointed with the 20 point loss in round one (though obviously a win would be good)
2. Freo - a 20 point loss at subi after having taken on port at AAMI stadium the week before. Many supporters were crushed after that game and demanding heads to roll - but then that pretty much depends on where people rate freo as a team. They were humiliated by the tigers in melbourne the week before but beat melbourne at the G today. So the question becomes did we really play that badly? or are freo actually a reasonable side?

Having said all that - despite the collingwood loss, we arent travelling too badly I think. I still see us making the eight (anywhere from 5-8th spot) though this will largely depend on the availability of key players. We clearly cant afford thornton to go down again (especially before livingston is back) - nor can we afford to lose french.

Its an interesting year - 6 rounds in and its hard to write off any teams from the finals with perhaps collingwood being the exception (devestated by injuries). I think Essendon* are better than a lot of people think and the hawks/tigs/dogs will improve a bit as the year progresses - and so should we :)

When we do eventually click, I think we will be able to match most teams in the comp. Come finals time, if we are in it I think we should be able to give it a very good shake :D