Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:27 pm 
John Nicholls

The Tyrant wrote:
Well, without trying to be a flatliner, he's not exactly the COMPLETE package. He'll always struggle to stick his tackles etc (ie, the Davey stuff) because of his height. What he'll need to do is work on this thighs and be strong enough to stick them, but without losing his pace.

But gee... he's close :wink:

See, I disagree with that.
Sure he doesn't bring the blokes down with the tackles, but I reckon if he can apply that forward pressure week in week out and bring down perhaps 3-4 blokes every week, I think he will have done his job in the tackling department.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:55 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

phoenix johnson wrote:
The Tyrant wrote:
Well, without trying to be a flatliner, he's not exactly the COMPLETE package. He'll always struggle to stick his tackles etc (ie, the Davey stuff) because of his height. What he'll need to do is work on this thighs and be strong enough to stick them, but without losing his pace.

But gee... he's close :wink:

See, I disagree with that.
Sure he doesn't bring the blokes down with the tackles, but I reckon if he can apply that forward pressure week in week out and bring down perhaps 3-4 blokes every week, I think he will have done his job in the tackling department.

Yeah, but nah

My point was that his running etc is really good, but he'd be the "complete package" if he was a bit stronger and could execute the tackles they shrug off. That body strength will come in time, though.

And, he's about 4 years younger than Davey, so..... imagine Eddie at 21/22!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I love him.

Eddie rocks.

Eddie is god.

All hail Eddie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:28 pm 
Bruce Doull

You look at Eddie and he hardly ever fumbles the ball .
He doesnt need much room to operate.
He has a good ethic.
He reads the ball very well.. extremely clever.
He has fantastic footwork.(If you ever want to see how good a player is look at his feet and his hands)If theyre fumblers they will never be elite.. Eddie isnt a fumbler. and his footwork is out of this world.. (watch DalSantos too.. and Nathan Browns..

`He reminds me of Diego... that low centre of gravity does it for him..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:04 am 
Craig Bradley

I agree he's got beautiful hands, Synbad. It's interesting that he has fumbled a couple of times in front of goals (against Essendon* and Hawthorn), but his poise and beautiful hands are such that he can recover quickly and control the ball well enough to get it through the goals anyway!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:18 am 
Harry Vallence

phoenix johnson wrote:
His defensive pressure in the forward line is second to none. It's a credit to himself that he is able to tackle someone, bring them to ground, get up and tackle the next person. In these situations, you'll usually see Eddie do it 3 or 4 times.

Agree with most of what you said about Betts but have you watched Jarrod Waite?
I think its an insult to Waite to say Betts is second to none at defensive forward pressure. As far as I'm concerned Waite is equal to Hamill as the best defensive forward in the AFL. I don't think I've seen someone cover so much ground to pressure or tackle the opposistion. Those 50m plus runs and dive's are bloody fantastic and obviously are still going un-noticed by Carlton supporters.
Anyway well done to Eddie for doing so well in his first year and being along with Davies the 2nd best defensive forward for the blues!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:34 am 
Bruce Doull

our forward defensive pressure will hopefully rub off onto the midfield - we could us more grunt in defence there.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.