Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: leadership
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:21 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Kaptain Kouta wrote:
I'm a staunch Lance-phile, but if he's "pacing himself" through the length of the match to have a good last quarter, that's not really good enough. There will be matches that can't be pulled back from the brink like tonight. I don't want to see Lance put in efforts which amount to no more than too little, too late.

Um.........no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:22 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

But at least we have someone that can do it.

Rather than no-one that can do anything.

It was not the Lance show out there by any means, a lot of young players stood up tonight when they were needed, but please at least give Lance a LITTLE bit of credit.

Post subject: Re: leadership
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:23 am 
Bruce Doull

verbs wrote:
Kaptain Kouta wrote:
I'm a staunch Lance-phile, but if he's "pacing himself" through the length of the match to have a good last quarter, that's not really good enough. There will be matches that can't be pulled back from the brink like tonight. I don't want to see Lance put in efforts which amount to no more than too little, too late.

Um.........no.

Um, no....what? Enlighten me, please.

And any of you who know me know I'm one of the biggest optimists about....And I will not join in the wholesale sledging of our own (unless there's a cheap laugh in it for me, of course.....:wink:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:25 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Jarusa wrote:

It was not the Lance show out there by any means, a lot of young players stood up tonight when they were needed, but please at least give Lance a LITTLE bit of credit.

I will give him credit because he kicked goals in pressure situations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:25 am 
Bruce Doull

Jarusa wrote:

Yes, you're absolutely right. We have someone. And like I said, I haven't seen the match yet.

There were a couple of skill errors early on by Lance, so at least he more than made up for those...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:26 am 
Craig Bradley

Speaking of burst players - Eddie showed a combined total of about 75 seconds of utter brilliance and 78.45 minutes of bugger all.

Those 75 seconds made all the difference.

if Eddie had played like that for 80 minutes he would have kicked 240 goals 160..... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:28 am 
Rod Ashman

Look it's great that he has put in some big last quarter efforts but for me he still could easily do more over four quarters of footy. The game goes for four quarters not one and we are entitled to expect better four-quarter performances from someone on his money and someone who clearly has the talent...

He's been reasonable for the most part of games in the home and away season but when you saw what he could do in the Wizard Cup you wonder why similar form can't be produced in the actual season. He spent a fair bit of time on the bench tonight and stood up and kicked 2 goals when we needed him to stand up. But if he didn't kick those goals and we lost the game everyone would be saying that he had a shocker and rightly so.

So stop twisitng words and deliberately misinterpreting posts that challenge the over-the-top praise given to players like Lance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:30 am 
Craig Bradley

Speaking of leadership, go no further than Bret Thornton.

I got goose bumps watching his runs out of the backline, cool marks in defence. The kid is totally unflappable in a pressure situation.

There were a few moments tonight when the defence really clicked, and T-Bird was a feature in nearly all of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:31 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Ponkstar wrote:
Speaking of burst players - Eddie showed a combined total of about 75 seconds of utter brilliance and 78.45 minutes of bugger all.

Those 75 seconds made all the difference.

if Eddie had played like that for 80 minutes he would have kicked 240 goals 160..... :P

Exactly, I know it is such a phiosophy thing. But when you have players like Eddie ( and Whitnall to less of an extent) they just need to be left on the ground, the things they can do in a few minutes make the difference between winning and losing.

Now, who was the astute judge before the season that said that any time Eddie kicked 3 we would not lose a game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:34 am 
Bruce Doull

Ponkstar wrote:
Speaking of leadership, go no further than Bret Thornton.

I got goose bumps watching his runs out of the backline, cool marks in defence. The kid is totally unflappable in a pressure situation.

There were a few moments tonight when the defence really clicked, and T-Bird was a feature in nearly all of them.

Indeed. Always been a big fan of BT.

What I'd like to see is every line have one player capable of being that leader-figure, which when added together would provide a synergy in the team that would make us a force to be reckoned with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:35 am 
Bruce Doull

Jarusa wrote:
Now, who was the astute judge before the season that said that any time Eddie kicked 3 we would not lose a game?

Would have to be Ballistic...he's such a positive, forward-thinking guy.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:37 am 
Bruce Doull

Interesting given the criticism of Campo as a downhill skier that it was noted on CH 9 that he was revving the boys up at 3/4 time saying the Hawks were spent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:39 am 
Bruce Doull

Well, it's good to see that Campo does understand what it takes to be a leader. Like to see it more often though, which includes not being sucked in by taggers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:43 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Kaptain Kouta wrote:

Enlighten you I will not........you must watch the replay!! Then post your opinion. Then I will....um.......something....um.... still disagree with you!! :wink: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:44 am 
Craig Bradley

Kaptain Kouta wrote:
Well, it's good to see that Campo does understand what it takes to be a leader. Like to see it more often though, which includes not being sucked in by taggers.

Although it is interesting to note that he injured himself in the process of (from my POV) staging for a free kick, trying to get the Dorks player to push him in the back, rather than commit himself to the ball.

Personally I don't think Campo's a downhill skiier, and I do think many of the young guys really look up to him, and it's good to hear that he was using that influence to gee the kids up.

I just wish he'd keep his mind on the ball rather than what his opponent's doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:47 am 
Bruce Doull

verbs wrote:
Kaptain Kouta wrote:

Enlighten you I will not........you must watch the replay!! Then post your opinion. Then I will....um.......something....um.... still disagree with you!! :wink: :D

Are you drunk? :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:00 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Kaptain Kouta wrote:
verbs wrote:
Kaptain Kouta wrote:

Um......no? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:02 am 
Bruce Doull

verbs wrote:
Kaptain Kouta wrote:
verbs wrote:
Kaptain Kouta wrote:

Um......no? 8)

And why not?! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:10 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Kaptain Kouta wrote:
verbs wrote:
Kaptain Kouta wrote:
verbs wrote:
Kaptain Kouta wrote:

Um......no? 8)

And why not?! :wink:

I'm too hap....I mean I'm too dru....I mean drappy to remember why not! Um......why what? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:48 am 
Robert Walls

agree ponkstar - bret thornton great leadership

i'd also give Barnaby a bit or rap tonight, he took on Spider and Taylor pretty much solo