Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:10 am 
John James

Thought Kouta played a great Captain's game last night, first quarter aside.

He was crashing through the skirmishes carrying the ball like a "loaf of bread" without any thought of self preservation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:22 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Scott Camporeale salary package for 2006

(one year contract only)

Base salary

$70,000

Match payments

$5,000 per game

Bonus payments

1. $20,000 for zero suspensions
2. $20,000 for playing every game
3. $20,000 for each final played (max. 4)
4. $50,000 for a premiership

Penalties:

1. $10,000 for any obvious diving
2. $10,000 for any responding to a player's tagging harrassment
3. $10,000 for every 50m penalty awarded against him
4. $10,000 for looking sulky when things aren't going his way

If Scott Camporeale changes his ways and becomes the leader a player of his talent and experience should be then he'll earn the $350,000 he's worth at his absolute best and we'll have another flag.

At that time he may have his Vice-Captaincy back.

On the other hand if he continues to display the sort of petulant bullshit seen last night then at least the club will have one less salary to pay and the benefit of a new income stream thanks to the accumulation of penalties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:34 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I'm normally Captain Positive around here, but after last night I must admit I was embarrassed at Campo's actions (ie that dive). I'm not sure what has happened this year, but he seems to have lost his way a bit.

Sad part about it is, I reckon he is capable of much more. Maybe the injury (not sure of the extent of it at the moment) might give him the couple of weeks on the sidelines he needs to get his headspace right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:34 am 
Bruce Doull

GWS wrote:
2. $10,000 for any responding to a player's tagging harrassment
3. $10,000 for every 50m penalty awarded against him
4. $10,000 for looking sulky when things aren't going his way

This is a good thing....at the rate he susally goes, he'll e single-handedly funding the Optus Oval re-development... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:44 am 
Stephen Kernahan

At top rate for a facilitator/motivational speaker is $2,000 a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:55 am 
Harry Vallence

Deano Supremo wrote:
I'm normally Captain Positive around here

I'll take up the mantle Deano. Last year when we fell away we got spanked. We didn't even look like it when we travelled. I was at the game at Subi last week, and ok we lost, and yes, there was plenty of room for improvement, but we did get within 19 points at Subi. And comparing that to the Wizard Cup, we were well away from our best.

I remember in preseason, before the Wizard Cup, plenty of people were commenting on the hard draw at the start of the season, and expected us to be 2-3 after 5 games. We are 2 and a half from 6, not too far away from expectations.

We've also been well away from our best, but been beaten by a maximum of around 20 points. There is plenty of upside and scope for improvement from here, if the side clicks then we are capable of mixing it with the best.

I didn't see last nights game, but I'd say Waite kicking 5 and Betts 3 would be positives (would like to here more).

Are we that far behind where any of us thought we'd be before the Wizard Cup? If I was a realist, I'd have probably taken 3 wins from the fist 6 games with 2 creditable performances at AAMI and Subi....We aren't that far away from that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

steve wrote:
Deano Supremo wrote:
I'm normally Captain Positive around here

I'll take up the mantle Deano. Last year when we fell away we got spanked. We didn't even look like it when we travelled. I was at the game at Subi last week, and ok we lost, and yes, there was plenty of room for improvement, but we did get within 19 points at Subi. And comparing that to the Wizard Cup, we were well away from our best.

I remember in preseason, before the Wizard Cup, plenty of people were commenting on the hard draw at the start of the season, and expected us to be 2-3 after 5 games. We are 2 and a half from 6, not too far away from expectations.

We've also been well away from our best, but been beaten by a maximum of around 20 points. There is plenty of upside and scope for improvement from here, if the side clicks then we are capable of mixing it with the best.

I didn't see last nights game, but I'd say Waite kicking 5 and Betts 3 would be positives (would like to here more).

Are we that far behind where any of us thought we'd be before the Wizard Cup? If I was a realist, I'd have probably taken 3 wins from the fist 6 games with 2 creditable performances at AAMI and Subi....We aren't that far away from that.

Agree totally Steve, and I am in NO WAY disappointed with us as a team. We still have a long way to go, but we're on the right track. What I am disappointed in however was Campo last night. Just didn't seem interested, and that dive has made it extra hard to pull the piss out of Essendon* supporters now.

I just reckon Campo is struggling with his head space at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:02 pm 
Laurie Kerr

The Tyrant wrote:
therubbernub wrote:
Tyrant as for this "more adversarial crap" Feeling defensive are we? Not sure why you decide to play the man perhaps you have no arguments

Unlike your original post, which... um..... how was that different again?

:roll:

Nub, let me ask you a question. How many carlton supporters, on this site or others, WANT to lose? How many, do you reckon? 2%? 5%? None?

come on, mate, answer the question.

Tyrant for the last week there has been so much garbage spewing forth from people who wanted to be on record as saying "our season is over"
I could not be bothered debating with them at the time because I knew that a win this week would mean that we were very close to being in the eight. How could anyone say our season was over after 5 rounds? Especially when we were never too far away in any game and we had one win and a draw to last years premiers.
I was not saying that anyone wanted us to lose- why ask the question. What I was questioning was peoples willingness to write us off after
1 A 20 point loss to the Roos (undefeated)
2 A win over the bombers
3 A 20 point loss to the Pies (who always lift against us)
4 A draw against the reigning premiers
5 A 19 point loss to a top 8 team on the rebound at home, when we were travelling for the 2nd week.

Just because we played a scrappy game does not mean we a re a bad team. Ok it wasnt the best game in the world and it was only the Hawks but you can only beat your opposition. How many people remember in the good old days when we were the most skilled side going around, that some of our danger games was against the scragging type teams - those that dragged you down to their (less skilled) level. Thats why the game was not a great spectacle.

Yes we were lucky to win BUT we showed courage and Tenacity and came back when it looked like Hodge , Osborne , Mitchel and Crawford were going to take us to the cleaners. To be able to run the game out like we did particularly after playing in adelaide and Perth, was a real credit to the side.

You see Tyrant I look at a side and ask myself how good can this side be, while others are still asking How shit are We?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:12 pm 
Craig Bradley

The Tyrant wrote:

How many carlton supporters, on this site or others, WANT to lose? How many, do you reckon? 2%? 5%? None?

To be completly honest Tyrant, I sometimes wonder about that.

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:18 pm 
Geoff Southby

Kangaroos is usually an each way bet with us over the last couple of years. We should have done the Filth, and exceeded expectations in the draw with Port. We are at best half a game down on where we should be and at worst 1 1/2 games down(if you count the roos).

We must beat Richmond next week and we need to find some "upsets" along the way to get back on track. Geelong perhaps?

Ronald Reagan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:41 pm 
Robert Walls

I think this season is not about winning this year's flag but hopefully setting us up for one in 2-3 years so it will never be over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

therubbernub wrote:
I was not saying that anyone wanted us to lose-

so whats the point of your post? are you nervous that other people aren't heading in the same direction as you? or does it make you feel better to say "I told you so". good on you, nub. You've really rubbed it into those supporters who want us to lose. But.. hold on... there aren't any!

"Ha Ha! I told you we weren't shit!"

Yes, good for you, Nub. No one want us to be shit. So.. who is your thread directed at? People who are nervous because their team isn't winning? Do you ever get nervous, nub? How much energy do you tie up into Carlton's success? Are you saying its wrong to get nervous about your team's success after a loss? Should people who misread situations not deserve to have a say?

WHO ARE YOU RUBBING THE WIN INTO?

Ludicrous thread. Absolute no point to it.

Blue Mark wrote:
To be completly honest Tyrant, I sometimes wonder about that

Without meaning to be dismissive, BM, but no you don't. You know we're all on the same page.

We're all headed for Mecca, but we all take different routes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:29 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Tyrant I believe I have made myself clear. Read what I said not what you think I said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:43 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

therubbernub wrote:
What I was questioning was peoples willingness to write us off after

well, why do you think people do that?

mate, I'm reading your posts. I'm providing the pretty obvious subtext to it. I'm interested to read your response to this question now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:00 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Quote:
well, why do you think people do that?

I will tell you why, because they do not have the patience. They have been conditioned into expecting Carlton to be in the 8 year in year out. Now that we are still marginal 8 material after 4 years of being the easy beats, they expect us to turn it around too quickly. When it does not happen that easily they write us off. They extrapolate the poor form of the last few years into the current season and say we have no chance of making the 8. I am saying how ridiculus it is to do this when last week we were 1 game out of the 8.
Our form is our form this year not last year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:28 pm 
Ken Hunter

or they are passionate and being passionate their emotions sometimes run away and they see tunnels, turns, dead ends and all manner of creep crawlies just cos they are passionate and care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:32 pm 
Rod Ashman

Speaking of passionate....

AWWW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:35 pm 
Bruce Doull

Houla's thinking: Nice manboobs, too, Eddie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:56 pm 
Robert Walls

Freo have just beaten Melb at the G. Maybe our loss at Subi last week wasn't quite so terriblel!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

Havent been as many thrashings of teams this year.

Indicates to me that the comp is a bit more even than last year.

When second plays 15th and comes within 14 points - this also indicates comp evenness.

We came within 20 points of the second top side as well.

All we have to do is find a bit of form that we know we displayed in the pre season. This has proved elusive so far - bit if we keep on going it will come.

This is a lot different from finding form that you have never displayed during the year at all like in 2002 to 2004.

I cant understand why people cant see that overcoming the problem of being thrashed is more of a problem that overcoming the problem of losing matches by 3 goals. Im no coach, but I know which problem I would rather solve, the 3 goal one...

As far as we are concerned - Everyone seems to have viewed last nights result as if we had an eight day break and played at the MCG the week before against average to below average opposition.

Sure our performance wasnt as good as it should have been last night, but our players were pretty much worn down to the stumps after a short break and being on the road for 2 weeks.

I Cant see anyone making allowance for this at all which I think is rather odd, given that its pretty much the first thing that Pagan alluded to in his post match press conference.

Injuries aside, Id be positive and say that winning under those conditions showed a great deal of grit - which will be shown again when the team is fresher - This should surely be a basis for future improvement.

Ok, I honmestly didnt feel we were going to win last night until the last quarter, but now that we have the 4 points its really a glass is half full rather than a glass half empty situation here - to argue otherwise is to diminish our chances of success...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next