Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:35 am 
Bruce Doull

I agree with everything you just said molesy.
Simmo is way too good for VFL and just needs a block of 5 games where he is played alot to show his wares. He just needs to get the feel of the senior game and he will be one of our best.
For a team thats crying out for people who can deliver the ball.. simmo is a god send.
the other thing he brings is some dash and run . Smart player who rarely gets caught with the ball and is highly creative.
Plus ive actually seen him kick with the right foot and it was a good pass. Which eased one of my concerns for him along with weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:39 am 
John Nicholls

With his skills, pace and creativity off of a half back line, he could be a Matthew Lappin replacement when he retires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:46 am 
Robert Walls

I suppose the thing that stands against him (and only in the sense of what I really want at Carlton) is the light frame.
I've probably seen enough class when he has played - like the Wizzer etc but I'd just like to develop a team that had a few hard bodied runners.

However, I do support the idea of playing the kids and unknowns to see what we've got.

It's that wet patch between wanting to develop talent and win games at the same time.

I know we aren't going to win any flag this year (save for one ugly cup) but it still hurts to lose.

I'd like to see Bryan get a game for the same reason you guys want Slimmo in. I want to see what he's got over the course of 5- 6 games.

p.s Add Santy to that as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:51 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Synbad/Molesy/PJ: Agree with everything you have said. Kade certainly has the desire and the talent to become an important member of the senior team. He should be told that no matter what, he will play the next 5 games, which would relieve some of the pressure on him. It would be difficult to play to your best when you are too concerned about being dropped the next week. Best of luck to Kade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:21 am 
Craig Bradley

So how do we think Simmo went? He got some decent ground time tonight and I thought he acquitted himself very well.

His handball straight to Miller in the first quarter was pretty disastrous, but he bounced back well. His 1%ers were good, and his disposal very good. He had 8 disposals and 2 tackles - not brilliant figures but importantly he didn't look out of his depth tonight.

His last 10 minutes were exceptional I thought - he really took van den Berg out of the game.

With Chambers and Carrazz looking doubtful I'd say he'll get some more game time next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:23 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I was very happy with his last qtr efforts - he made several spoils that could've easily been marked.

The best part was on the wing when he won the ball in a one on one situation. Crowd went nuts :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:37 am 
Rod Ashman

Always looks like he will hit a target - Is a nice long kick and breaks lines -
Not overly confident with his contested work and ball getting ability

Mix Johnnos ball getting ability with simpsons pace and finishing and then we have a player

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:38 am 
Rod Ashman

Obviously not a fantastic game by Slimmo, but will probably get another go next week with the 3 injuries we sustained tonight.
Once again he gets spasmodic runs on the ground. DP needs to leave him out there for a couple of quarters straight. On and off too much. In the last he was out there a while and started to do some nice things. He just needs a real decent go. Keep putting in Kade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:49 am 
John Nicholls

Loved Simmo's game tonight.
Sure it wasn't awesome, but he did his job.
Made Vandenberg look foolish in that last quarter when he just danced around him.

He'll get a game next week not because there are injuries but because he deserves it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:34 am 
Bert Deacon

Effes wrote:
The best part was on the wing when he won the ball in a one on one situation. Crowd went nuts :)

7 Minutes to go in the 3rd term, Simpson under pressure delivers a pin point pass, marked Houlihan, pass to Eddie Betts in the centre just forward of the 50 mark, Betts dummies and steps a defender and runs in -GOAL!

Loved it but it wouldn't have happened if Simpson hadn't made the pressure pass to start the play.

The best thing about this;

Simpson, Houlihan, Betts = The Future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:50 am 
Robert Walls

he'll get his BP chance this week with carrots unlikely to be available

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:27 am 
Laurie Kerr

london blue wrote:
he'll get his BP chance this week with carrots unlikely to be available

I hope he makes it, he has speed, i feel he needs a big year to impress Pagan thou,so that his to persist with him at the club as he been in the system for a few years now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:29 am 
Laurie Kerr

I think he turned a corner tonight. I must admit that I have been a bit perplexed about the rave reviews about him based on what I had seen game day, but tonight I could see glimpses of what some people have been talking about.
Hopefully he will gain confidence and go from strength to strength

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:23 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Did alright tonight I thought. His last quarter once he started to get the feel of the game was extremely good. Loved the bit where he won the one-on-one contest and ran away with it, my pessimistic self thought he'd be outbodied.

Disposal was good, except when he had his pocket picked, but that was the only error he made all night. Made some nice spoils, especially the one which forced it out of bounds. Has good pace, always willing to enter a contest his light frame notwithstanding. Good signs.

- Igor Stravinsky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:36 am 
Garry Crane

Simmo in the back pocket this week will be interesting against Krakouer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:15 pm 
Craig Bradley

I thought he contributed nicely.

If they play him on Krakouer next week, he should do okay. Krakouer doesn't get much of the ball and is pretty slow for an aboriginal player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:23 pm 
Rod Ashman

molsey or Synbad may be able to answer my question.. Does Denis see Simmo as senior player at Carlton or he be someone that will go, either delisted or traded at years end? I've been a bit doubtful about him too but I don't get to training or bullants games so I've really only got to go by what our training people report. I know that he is young & also not big enough to match it yet, but I still am a bit perplexed as to why he has not had more games time, considering he has been around for a while at Carlton.. Is it maybe that Denis does not see him as part of the team moving forward or is he being super patient with him??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:43 pm 
Trevor Keogh

i would pick simmo before davies, simmo looked good last night, hopefully he gets more game time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:56 pm 
Rod Ashman

I think it was generally accepted when he was drafted that he would need at least 3 years before he could make an impact at senior level. He was 70kgs when he was drafted. That's why he lasted till 45 when most experts said that - based purely on skill - he was worth a 2nd rounder. On that basis I personally think he is a little but ahead of schedule. We don't have enough midfielders with pace and good skills to not be patient with him (especially when we still have players like Clarke to delist).

As for last night's game, the longer he was out there, the better he looked. The "give him game time" possie should feel partially vindicated.

I actually thought the Miller just read the play really well in the 1st quarter. The handball was on, maybe it just needed to be a bit sharper. I spent the next 10 minutes praying to Denis not to bench him.

The left foot pass from the back pocket with three hawks closing on him was all class.

My only real concern was that on the run from 45m in the dying mintues with his team up by 6 points, he went for the pass to a forward rather than taking the shot himself and scoring at least a point.

With Carrats, Campo and Chambers injured he should get his chances over the next few weeks. Let hope he grabs them and run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:04 pm 
Bruce Comben

If Simmo has the running ability, why not give him the job that would usually be given to Campo?
If Campo is out next week and Simmo is similar in almost every way, he would be perfect for the role in the mid field.