Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:50 pm 
Rod Ashman

mandy wrote:
Blues Clues wrote:
At least I know the name of that Bob Fraser guy who the Pies took at Pick 1, you know that "saviour" ruckman guy, a game breaking colossus that would take the Pies to footballing immortality. Oh sorry, Josh..... :wink:

I don't get the negativity from opposition supporters towards Josh. You'd be hard pressed to find a Pie supporter that wasn't happy with his contribution to our team.

Certainly didn't turn out to be the star ruckman we'd been hoping for, but a very good player nonetheless.

And you should be happy with him as he's good value.

I guess if we look at it another way though, all of us seem to be clamouring for a priority pick ( me included :oops: ) but using that draft as an example. If you offered me Fraser and Fiora or Pavlich I know which option I'm picking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:17 pm 
Horrie Clover

Beantown wrote:
mandy wrote:
Blues Clues wrote:
At least I know the name of that Bob Fraser guy who the Pies took at Pick 1, you know that "saviour" ruckman guy, a game breaking colossus that would take the Pies to footballing immortality. Oh sorry, Josh..... :wink:

I don't get the negativity from opposition supporters towards Josh. You'd be hard pressed to find a Pie supporter that wasn't happy with his contribution to our team.

Certainly didn't turn out to be the star ruckman we'd been hoping for, but a very good player nonetheless.

And you should be happy with him as he's good value.

I guess if we look at it another way though, all of us seem to be clamouring for a priority pick ( me included :oops: ) but using that draft as an example. If you offered me Fraser and Fiora or Pavlich I know which option I'm picking.

IMO he's a been a perfect fit for the filth...an almost type of player for an almost type of club. The law of attraction (i.e. "the secret" ) at work.. :-D

Thanks for the memories Kouta. You are and always will be a True Blue Carlton Legend. #43.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:31 pm 
Ken Hunter

Did I say Tanking? Ohhhhh, I meant Wanking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:43 pm 
Melbourne Supporter

mandy wrote:

Really Mandy you should get out more with your fellow Magpie cognoscenti ...

http://p100.ezboard.com/ftheouterfrm56.showMessageRange?topicID=2551.topic&start=1&stop=25

The old bastard Sheedy would actually be good for us from a promotional point of view and providing we recognise that's what he's there for and put a team of assistants in place to do the real coaching and keep him away from recruiting Campos, Michaels and Zantucks, in fact keep him away from rectruiting altogether, I think he's a good choice for us.

Look we are awful and Ratten can't help himself - we can still lose R22.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:52 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

old55 wrote:
Really Mandy you should get out more with your fellow Magpie cognoscenti ...

http://p100.ezboard.com/ftheouterfrm56.showMessageRange?topicID=2551.topic&start=1&stop=25

There's a lot of support for Josh in that thread.

Wojee wrote:
Harmes was out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

Hypothetically .... Just say Melbourne and Carlton were both going into Round 22 with 4 wins each following on from 3.5 or 4 wins each the previous year. Then what?

Think outside the square ...... the winner gets the PP otherwise it would be one ugly game of football.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:03 am 
Ken Hunter

Navy One wrote:
Hypothetically .... Just say Melbourne and Carlton were both going into Round 22 with 4 wins each following on from 3.5 or 4 wins each the previous year. Then what?

Think outside the square ...... the winner gets the PP otherwise it would be one ugly game of football.

Both teams forfeit at exactly the same time. :-D

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:23 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rohan Connolly's final ladder still has Carlton securing the priority pick.

My gut tells me we won't be able to stop Essendon* and Melbourne from kicking a winning score.

I don't read much into the results against the Hawks and Swans.

The Demons and Bombers have the rucks to beat us in the middle and give them first use of the ball.

The Saints and Pies have average rucks.

Kosi missed the second game after he tore Ackland a new one earlier in the year and ran off him to be another marking option up forward. We might be without Setanta which would unbalance us in the ruck and the backline if his injury puts him out for the year. :(

Thornton, Saddington, Bannister, Scotland, Bower, Houlihan and Jamison aren't a match for Lucas, Lloyd, Hille/Laycock, Welsh, Gumbleton, Hird, Neitz, Bate, Davey, Sylvia, Robertson and Dunn if they break even in the midfield. Ben Holland is a hack, but he's the type of key forward who is made to look good by our undersized defence and bobs up to kick two goals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:16 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

more great inside info :garthp:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:26 am 
Melbourne Supporter

Even if we do win in R22, the way % is trending we'll still finish 15th and you'll get 1 & 4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:36 am 
Geoff Southby

What Rohan hasn't taken into account is percentage. The way it's going, even if Melbourne beat us, we'll still be 14th on percentage.

Which makes it just that bit harder to secure a decent player in the PSD. As well as giving us 1 and 4 instead of 1 and 3.

Perhaps a 6-8 goal defeat this weekend is in order. Hey - If we're tanking, we may as well do it properly 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:30 pm 
Rod Ashman

Give Fev, Fisher and Carrots a few weeks off, Should do the trick :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:34 pm 
Ken Hunter

w~w

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

I reckon we should start tankiing for next year, and the next, and the next................keep getting the first 2 picks,........we'll be unbeatable one day :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:42 am 
Harry Vallence

buzzaaaah wrote:
We may as well win every game we play from now, because there is no hope in hell that the Dees can beat us in Rd 22

You ve just depressed the hell out of me

I'm flowering sick of this, its to stressful, the prospect of winning is depressing the $%^%$ out of me.

How any logically minded Carlton supporter who has lived through the pain of dark Friday and endured the disappointment of mediocrity since then can be satisfied with the short term tension relief associated with a win and not see the long term value associated with a loss in the remaining games puzzles the @#$# out of me.

The bulls#$t that I read about early picks not guaranteeing success is naive. Nothing is guaranteed but the law of statistics will tell you clearly that the more early picks you have the more likely you are to benefit. If this wasn't the case the draft system wouldn't exist nor would the priority system.

JUST TANK FFS & FLOWER THE MORAL HIGH GROUND

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:50 am 
Bruce Doull

Not sure if the non Tankers have the moral high ground...

There are no guarantees but there are guarantees of giving yourself more opportunity.
Its called playng the percentages...

*edited by mods*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:01 am 
Ken Hunter

the whole point is there is no moral ground
high or low, there are opinions by people who have no influence on decisins made by those who may or may not be tanking but who can never come out and say it if they are (and will always say they are not).

My beef is not with tanking, if people want to go and cry out for a loss
or a win, that's their choice.

I hate people posts where they slag off at other people's choices (as if that is influencing the team 1 iota )

and I hate the misconception put forward as an argument that a game is meaningless.

All games are and are not – I’ts an individual thing - the rest is reality tv syndrome.

*edited by mods*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:30 am 
Stephen Kernahan

As much as I dislike the tanking "debate", this topic was going along with no problems for 3 pages.

Some posts have been edited, others deleted, due to posters moving along into the realm of personal abuse (again).

Please, pretty please, put forward your opinions without resorting to schoolyard taunts.