Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:45 pm 
Bert Deacon

1. The original reason why the AFL Match Review Panel was considering Fev's alleged misconduct charge was because Grover went off with a cut beneath his "right" eye...I repeat "right eye". They wanted an explanation as to why he had to go off with the blood rule. The footage that shows Fev's hand on Grover's face did not cause

1. the bleeding to the right eye as his hand pushed (important word this, "pushed") the "left side" of Grover's face. (Cf. footage)...no gouging...
2. The footage suggests that Fev was in the subordinate position in the wrestle, had his hair pulled (something those girls from Freo tend to do) so tried to push Grover away from him. Why a push?
If you look at the footage in real time, Fev pushes and pulls away (possibly realising that he made contact to the face)...Contact was literally a second long...Harmless as far as I am concerned ....
If he gets a suspension for this contact given Johnson elbowing Shaw in the face didn't even get a look in...then the Tribunal is the closest thing to an asylum...

Comparison to Scotland case in Media articles, absolutely wrong...Different situation, Different context and from a legal perspective a different case...

TRIBUNAL DECISION: Fev free to play Friday and a bloody waste of his and the football club's time....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:11 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Damn you're good Pagan Bro!

Someone - anyone - sign the lad up as Fev's advocate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:18 pm 
Ken Hunter

Well Said Son. Well Done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:33 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Can't argue with your logic.

One problem is that tribunals dont always apply common sense. Hope they do this time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

Paganbro wrote:
1. The original reason why the AFL Match Review Panel was considering Fev's alleged misconduct charge was because Grover went off with a cut beneath his "right" eye...I repeat "right eye". They wanted an explanation as to why he had to go off with the blood rule. The footage that shows Fev's hand on Grover's face did not cause

1. the bleeding to the right eye as his hand pushed (important word this, "pushed") the "left side" of Grover's face. (Cf. footage)...no gouging...
2. The footage suggests that Fev was in the subordinate position in the wrestle, had his hair pulled (something those girls from Freo tend to do) so tried to push Grover away from him. Why a push?
If you look at the footage in real time, Fev pushes and pulls away (possibly realising that he made contact to the face)...Contact was literally a second long...Harmless as far as I am concerned ....
If he gets a suspension for this contact given Johnson elbowing Shaw in the face didn't even get a look in...then the Tribunal is the closest thing to an asylum...

Comparison to Scotland case in Media articles, absolutely wrong...Different situation, Different context and from a legal perspective a different case...

TRIBUNAL DECISION: Fev free to play Friday and a bloody waste of his and the football club's time....

You're absolutely right!

Fevola to get 4 weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:05 pm 
Craig Bradley

Jeez I hope you're right Pbro

Thing is if they're going to have a referral to the tribunal every time a player leaves the ground under the blood rule under remotely suspicious circumstances they are going to be plenty busy.

In the end the media has created the impetus for a trial and the AFL is gonna give them a trial, simply because the media demands it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:08 pm 
Rod Ashman

To put this in context, this is what was said today at my Carlton email ring at work :

Word has it from some very reliable sources that the Freo player had made a few comments to Fev about his partner and step daughter.

Any comment from you guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:25 pm 
Laurie Kerr

No way Fev gets reported. Deliberate eye gauging is a despicable act. Floundering around trying to get out of a headlock is a DEFENSIVE action that if it results in contact to the eye can be excused. Adding to his defence, once he realised that he had hit a soft spot with his fingers, his reaction was similar to touching a hotplate- instant recoil.
Typical media beat up. Cant believe We all get sucked in by this stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:36 pm 
Bruce Doull

Hope youre right but i reckon he will get 3 to 4 weeks.
Personally i think its bullshit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

Will either get cleared (most unlikely) or get 2 to 3 weeks.

Thinking more laterally, will help the clubs' case at the negotiation table for his next contract if he's rubbed out. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:35 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

A breeze you say?
You must have a different TV to me.
On my set, Fev reaches around the right side of Grovers nose and "uses" his fingers.
I think the only "pushing" here is shit uphill.

Some can claim provocation but to suggest Fev didnt stick his fingers into Grover is fanciful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:43 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blue Vain wrote:
A breeze you say?
You must have a different TV to me.
On my set, Fev reaches around the right side of Grovers nose and "uses" his fingers.
I think the only "pushing" here is shit uphill.

Some can claim provocation but to suggest Fev didnt stick his fingers into Grover is fanciful.

He was pushing the boogers back in????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:47 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Saturday May 21st.. If Fev is lucky he will play in the last game at Optus......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:51 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Will benefit the team having Fev out a few weeks. Learn the capabilities of other players to step up in his abscence, ability to learn new attacking options and we will be less predictable going forward.

All in all two weeks will be perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:51 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Provocation only a partial defence in a court of law.

It looks bad on replay, the "recoil" is almost a deliberate "i didn't do that" trick.

Sorry I can't agree.

- Igor Stravinsky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:28 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

therubbernub wrote:
No way Fev gets reported. Deliberate eye gauging is a despicable act. Floundering around trying to get out of a headlock is a DEFENSIVE action that if it results in contact to the eye can be excused. Adding to his defence, once he realised that he had hit a soft spot with his fingers, his reaction was similar to touching a hotplate- instant recoil.

Interesting Matt Hardy agreed with you on SEN this afternoon, when someone has you in a headlock and is cutting off your windpipe, you do what it takes to get out.
My question is can you be charged with eyegouging when you scratch a player on the cheek? It seems wrong to me, scratching someone is hardly a terrible crime - it's not punching, kicking or gouging. But agree will most likely get 2 weeks like Scotland, with an extra week for his record from last year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

teknodeejay wrote:
You're absolutely right! Fevola to get 4 weeks.

Demetrispew has demanded 8 weeks minimum whilst being blown by "Spike Anderson". :roll:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:10 pm 
Craig Bradley

Wildman wrote:
therubbernub wrote:

Interesting Matt Hardy agreed with you on SEN this afternoon, when someone has you in a headlock and is cutting off your windpipe, you do what it takes to get out.
My question is can you be charged with eyegouging when you scratch a player on the cheek? It seems wrong to me, scratching someone is hardly a terrible crime - it's not punching, kicking or gouging. But agree will most likely get 2 weeks like Scotland, with an extra week for his record from last year.

**broken record commence**

ive said it before and i will say it again.

It is human nature when someone is in a headlock to panic and do whatever, claw, pull, scratch etc.. to get out of it. No one is difference, possibly the only ones that dont react that same way are those that are trained in handling it. i.e. people who studyin martial arts or have some training in self defence, or wrselters etc..

Anyone that knows what they are doing will tell you to total relax your body, conserve your energy, then we the attack appears to be slaking you go full out and you will 9 times out of 10 get out of it.

But like i say, unless you have trained for that, you will allows react with panic.

I still want to know why that the fact that Gover was 15m away from the action when Fev and Walker where having a push and shove, came from behind and started to wrestle with him, the put him in a headlock, i want to know why he isnt facing more charges.

Its a flower joke and if fev goes - the club should take the AFL all the way to court on this - becuase its that much of a joke.

Some may dismiss it - but any person on the street, anyone, would act and do exactly the same thing and would get off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:32 am 
Craig Bradley

I'm just wondering why it is that unnecessary high contact to the neck in the form of throttling someone isn't regarded as misconduct, but poking someone in the face is.

At worst, eyegouging might cause severe eye trauma, most likely repairable through surgery.

At worst, choking someone could result in a corpse on the field.

In legal terms it's kind of like assault versus attempted murder :shock:

Just wondering why the guy doing the poking seems to get ranked up there with the anus fiddlers and scrotum biters of the world.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:39 am 
Bruce Doull

IF Fev played for Essendon* it would have been dismissed in a heart beat

wouldn't have even got this much media attention

Hell McAnus playing for the damn DOCKERS did just as bad and didnt even rate a mention.

Its the ANTI Carlton media/AFL bandwagon at its best.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.