Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:18 am 
Robert Walls

not sure what wil minson does actually - but there was actually an artile in the age or something last year prior to the match against us - seemed like a very well rounded individual - ie good at music and academically etc - certainly wouldnt be what you associate with his on field agression - often that is the case in many sports though, the quietest ones off field are the most rabid ones on field it seems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:17 pm 
Craig Bradley

Synbad wrote:
BlueMark wrote:
OK people what should they do then?

Tell me how they should lead?
For Pagans sake just speak and tell us will you????!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!??!!??!?!.. we need to know and youre not saying anything!!!!!!

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:32 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The title captain means nothing in some cases......Simpson is the skipper at the Roos but Archer is the leader, ditto for Rewioldt...Hamill is the real leader....there isnt a standout leader at our club.

Fitzpatrick was a educated leader wheras Carey and Kernahan were just born into the job....I think leaders can come from all walks of life, you either have it or you dont.

Its not about having a tough man in the role even though I have a preference for that type of player......Voss was respected from day 1 he walked onto the park and I kind of agree with Synbad that Luke Ball has similar qualities...ditto for James Hird...I dislike Hird with a passion but he has the respect of his team and delivers when needed.....

Vandenberg is the skipper at Hawthorn but for me Hodge is their leader and is assuming the role...ther is just an aura about some human beings that allows them to default into leadership roles and it crosses over into footy as well...

I think Nick Stevens will be our next skipper but I'm not sure if he is our next leader....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:35 pm 
Garry Crane

if jarrad waite starts playing solid 4 qtr games .. he'll get the nod from me

best tackler we have !

really impressed with his season so far .. coming along nicely

.. go blues ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:58 pm 
Robert Walls

I think Stevens is doing all he can to show on-field leadership ... I also noticed he stayed back late to practise his kicking to the lead at the one training session I attended before the Collingwood game this year.

Thornton has the right attitude, as do Teague and Lappin, but none of them are particularly demonstrative about it on-field. Prendergast has the right attitude, but not the skill. Barnaby has the ability to show good leadership now, and the size. These players all need to take a more active role. Fevola is NOT a leader, he needs to grow up fast and take some responsibility, but like Richo I doubt he will.

Agree entirely with the coments about Ball and Hodge, but they are both exceptional examples as is that guy from the Eagles :wink: Three in the one draft.

I don't think Waite is strong leadership material yet ... he has too many things in his own game which need work. Yes he can be a strong tackler, but he also is just a bull at a gate at times ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:12 pm 
Bruce Doull

BlueMark wrote:
Synbad wrote:
BlueMark wrote:

For Pagans sake just speak and tell us will you????!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!??!!??!?!.. we need to know and youre not saying anything!!!!!!

I know nuuuuuffffffink!!!! nuuuuffffink!!!!!
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:29 pm 
Robert Walls

I think Kouta is being underestimated. Ok so he is not the most vocal captain but he does lead by example and if blokes can't be inspired by the way he has overcome such horrific injuries and reinvented himself as one of the best clearance players in the comp then nothing will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:21 pm 
Craig Bradley

Synbad wrote:
BlueMark wrote:
Synbad wrote:
BlueMark wrote:

I know nuuuuuffffffink!!!! nuuuuffffink!!!!!
:lol:

Those Who Know Do Not Speak, Those Who Speak Do not Know.

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:44 pm 
Craig Bradley

Scottopee said

Someone said Kouta has avoided criticism well I don't know what website they have been on he cops a shitload yet why is it that Stevens doesn't get any form of criticism at all? Are the blinkers on?
Downhill skier. Yes a bloody good one but only runs one way. He looked great hiting our forwards on the chest during the wizard cup but can't remember him doing it much in the last 5 games? Spends most of the game hanging around the HBF getting handball receive's. He continues to hang out of a pack waiting for a handball and will put in the short steps when he knows he won't get to a contest by himself. Does he chase tackle or sheppard? Yes he's tackle stat is alright so far this year but for a so-called elite onballer he has the same count as FEV! Why has his opponent or opponents had more of the ball in 4 of the 5 games can't remember who played on him during the North game. Any accountability? Why did Pagan go off at him at 3/4 time during the Bombers game? Nobody says anything about his effort against his old side 5 disposals to 1/2 time for a permanent onballer is terrible basically he went missing when the heat was on. I'll soon hear about he's no.1 for clearance's yes he has done well but Barnaby would have hit him on the tit 20+ times this year which is fairly easy when that happens. 1 goal 3 in 5 games? A Grade midfielder? Why hasn't he been an All Australian or a regular in the Ireland series for an ELITE player?
Busts a gut every week? maybe he should watch Kouta to see what a hard ball get is! Bah humbug[/b]

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stevens had a phenomenal last quarter after Denis went off at him so that's why he blasted him at 3/4 qrtr time. And I believe Stevens was playing in defence at against the Power so he can hardly be expected to dominate the clearances from there.
He's had a more influential 5 games than Kouta, who disappeared after half time against the Pies as Woewodin :roll: if I'm not mistaken ran away from him. To single out Stevens for criticism is ridiculous when he's one of the few bright lights in the side along with Waite and Walker, who'll fans will be able to hang their hat on over the next few years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:06 pm 
Geoff Southby

We rely too much on our leaders. The problem isn't them its the rest of the squad. Without Kouta we would be dead last on zero points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:19 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

JacksBoy wrote:
He's had a more influential 5 games than Kouta, who disappeared after half time against the Pies as Woewodin :roll: if I'm not mistaken ran away from him. To single out Stevens for criticism is ridiculous when he's one of the few bright lights in the side along with Waite and Walker, who'll fans will be able to hang their hat on over the next few years.

Wasn't Stevens on Licuria who was BOG?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

TheGame wrote:
We rely too much on our leaders. The problem isn't them its the rest of the squad. Without Kouta we would be dead last on zero points.

HELL YES!

And somebody else said that he isn't the most vocal leader out there, but he leads by example...............brilliantly said.

Kouta does his bit to inspire..............as he has done so many times in the past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:09 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

TheGame wrote:

Our so-called "leaders" have been our problem this year - look at Kouta's output this year, not particularly good by his standards.

In fact, it's the kids who've actually kept us up there, it seems like the premiership in the pre-season was good enough for the senior players whereas the kids want more.

- Igor Stravinsky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:11 pm 
Craig Bradley

A true Leader leads by deed not words

The maligned four

Koutafides- Highest number of clearances n the AFL, Takes ruck responsilbity around ground.

Camporeale- Averages 17+ possession per game, leading tackler in the team last year.

Whitnal- Plays forward and back as team needs, takes ruck around ground, covers at leaast 15km per week, did extra sessions during pre-season without telling club. Average 2 goals per game.

Fevola- Leads by demonstrating to junior players what not to do.

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:23 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

BM,

You forgot how Campo hasn't really set a good example by being rubbed out twice for 1 week in the space of 6 weeks or so...
And for stupid things as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:39 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Jarusa wrote:
JacksBoy wrote:

Wasn't Stevens on Licuria who was BOG?

You could argue that both players weren't even accountable for each other.

I'd say Stevens was more damaging. You just need to take a look at the diposal of each to see why

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:07 pm 
Harry Vallence

Kouta is doing a damn fine job as captain. As a footballer but more importantly as a person, Kouta is a perfect role model, especially when you take into consideration how young our list is.

As none of us here are part of the playing group, I don't think we are in a position to fairly assess how good our leaders are. What we see at training and on gameday is only half of what goes on within a footy club. Footballers these days spend just about every day of the week at the club, there are plenty of opportunites apart from the major training sessions for the leaders to do what they need to.

FWIW, Kouta is a superb role model. Campo would be the first to 'fly the flag' if the need arose. Stevens, is an obvious leader with an awesome work ethic. French, also has a fabulous work ethic and is shouldering the ruck every week. Whitnall, has improved his work rate and always uses his footy knowledge on gameday to direct traffic on the field and assists all our young forwards telling them where to run and when. Teague, is truely inspirational in the way he plays the game. All these players are in our leadership group. I don't think our leadership is in as bad a shape as some people think.

Also, there were plenty of leaders that stayed out on the training track today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:00 pm 
Bruce Doull

BlueMark wrote:
Scottopee said

Someone said Kouta has avoided criticism well I don't know what website they have been on he cops a shitload yet why is it that Stevens doesn't get any form of criticism at all? Are the blinkers on?
Downhill skier. Yes a bloody good one but only runs one way. He looked great hiting our forwards on the chest during the wizard cup but can't remember him doing it much in the last 5 games? Spends most of the game hanging around the HBF getting handball receive's. He continues to hang out of a pack waiting for a handball and will put in the short steps when he knows he won't get to a contest by himself. Does he chase tackle or sheppard? Yes he's tackle stat is alright so far this year but for a so-called elite onballer he has the same count as FEV! Why has his opponent or opponents had more of the ball in 4 of the 5 games can't remember who played on him during the North game. Any accountability? Why did Pagan go off at him at 3/4 time during the Bombers game? Nobody says anything about his effort against his old side 5 disposals to 1/2 time for a permanent onballer is terrible basically he went missing when the heat was on. I'll soon hear about he's no.1 for clearance's yes he has done well but Barnaby would have hit him on the tit 20+ times this year which is fairly easy when that happens. 1 goal 3 in 5 games? A Grade midfielder? Why hasn't he been an All Australian or a regular in the Ireland series for an ELITE player?
Busts a gut every week? maybe he should watch Kouta to see what a hard ball get is! Bah humbug[/b]

Do you know that for sure???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

BlueMark wrote:
A true Leader leads by deed not words

The maligned four

Koutafides- Highest number of clearances n the AFL, Takes ruck responsilbity around ground.

Camporeale- Averages 17+ possession per game, leading tackler in the team last year.

Whitnal- Plays forward and back as team needs, takes ruck around ground, covers at leaast 15km per week, did extra sessions during pre-season without telling club. Average 2 goals per game.

Fevola- Leads by demonstrating to junior players what not to do.
stats are cheap and are used only to fill in Hun pages these days....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next