Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:22 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Is this the same team we are talking about that handed out a thrashing V Port Power and then upset the highly favoured WB?
How did we achieve what we achieved back then as compared to the past five weeks?
We didn't just get over the line against Port, you do realise that?
Are WB that bad?
I just don't get it....pleae explain?????????????????????
WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO TURN THIS ALL AROUND?????????????? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:36 am 
Trevor Keogh

It's a good question. The only thing that I can compare it to was a very commednable performance against the Kangaroos in 2003, and not long after we fell apart

Last round Carlton made the final four for the first time.

Eventual premiers.

That's what I'm talking about!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:14 am 
Harry Vallence

70% - 30%

70% above the shoulders and 30% below

Our squad is much better than recent results and we are clearly not getting the most out of their ability.....

Confidence, momentum and self belief are amazing things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:17 am 
Harry Vallence

A lot of the same experts calling for Pagan's head in the media were crediting him a new gameplan. Maybe it spooked the players he'd stay on and hence we had the 100 points "effort" against the Hawks on that Friday night and our efforts since. The internal problems are always highlighted when we travel, e.g Fev against Freo and the Bears 116 point yesterday. The finger pointing and lack of team running yesterday was (albiet from TV) a disgrace. Everyone is covering their a$rse and there's not enough pants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:24 am 
Geoff Southby

Honestly Port Adelaide were dreadful and made us look better than we really are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:04 am 
Rod Ashman

Power - were insipid and lacked confidence after some poor lead up games and Banno played the game of his life eclipsing Chad Cornes. No Brett Ebert (small forwards always kill us) and Tredrea in the horrors. Brogan underdone. Get the story.

Dogs - we always seem to play well against them and their "lighter bodies" and lack of a power forward helps us with match ups.

The Hawks game ruined our psyche and the "smell of death" completely clocked in after that game. DP won't have a job after Tuesday as these are the types of peformances that should NOW be avoidable. The chasm b/w our worst and best is intolerable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:30 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I think one of he contributing factors might be fitness. I heard on the radio yesterday Britts saying that it seems to him that Carlton's pre-season training might be part of the problem.

He said that it was a known fact that young teams seem to struggle late in the season and if you prepare to "peak" early in the season / pre-season like we did you get into trouble in the later stages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:39 am 
Rod McGregor

The rot started in the Port Adelaide game, if it had gone on another 10 minutes Port would have run over us. 5.6 to 2.4 in the last.
We should have won that game by at least 10 goals.
The fact was that Port were just so bad that day, they thought they could win just by turning up.
We are lucky that we beat Essendon* and Richmond coming from behind.
The last two weeks efforts are just so pathetic.
Fitzroy were a better team in their last years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:44 am 
Bruce Doull

We got ahead of ourselves....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:05 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I keep telling you its Lance he went down early in the Hawthorn game and we have never recovered . We are 100 point better side with Lance in there

We need Lance :oops: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:05 am 
Adrian Gallagher

I think the fact the players were freed up against WB & Port allowed them to enjoy there footy a bit. It was obvious early v Haw that Pagan had once again reverted to using kids in negative roles. eg Russell looked a player with a future v Port but since then his confidence has been shot because he no longer has the confidence to back himself. Walker another who gets thrown into negative roles. The only blokes who should be used in shut down roles are workhorses like Bannister. Using kids like Gibbs on the opposition's best defender is a waste of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:20 am 
Bruce Doull

Sydney Blue wrote:
I keep telling you its Lance he went down early in the Hawthorn game and we have never recovered . We are 100 point better side with Lance in there

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:21 pm 
Garry Crane

Sydney Blue wrote:

Don't know whether this comment is being facetious or not but SB does have a point.

The difference is Whitnall. Even though he was having an atrocious season, we looked better and played better when he was around. More focus, and those doubting his leadership skills should be ashamed because he was the one of the few out there showing ANY hint of it. And as Captain, he showe a lot more than everyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:42 pm 
Bob Chitty

Synbad wrote:
We got ahead of ourselves....

Synbad this is the DP line that gets me the most!! He has been saying it for years. I remember he said this after Rnd 1, 2005 against the Kang. At the time I recall thinking....."isn't it the job of the coach to make sure teams do not get ahead of themselves??""

And he keeps saying it!!!! 2.5 years later he still comes out with it!!!!