Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Raso/Setanta
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:51 pm 
Ken Hands

With Fevola set to take an extended holiday, and no LTI's, is it possible to tell young Raso to take some time out for school, hit the weights, and play school footy for 8 weeks or so?

Lance is almost certainly going to be played at CHB on the weekend on a Barker type. Why not give Raso some time out, and elevate Setanta to play at CHF? Is this even possible?

Betts DeLuca Longmuir
Waite Setanta Simpson

I'd be happy with that line-up against the Hawks this weekend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:20 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

i think u have to give medical proof to an afl doc that u will be injured and unable to play for 8 weeks, not just take time off...having said that i would love to see setanta in at FF for Big Fev if he is suspended

Inspired by the One-Minute Sculptures of Erwin Wurm

"All in all is all we are..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:44 pm 
Rod McGregor

Correct weight Shag. Setanta can only be promoted if there is a LTI. Raso having a holiday for 8 weeks doesn't cut it. Even if someone were delisted or retired tomorrow, we couldn't elevate Santy, let alone if someone is given a holiday.

And the AFL Medical Officer must be persuaded that a player with an injury will probably be unable to play at AFL or VFL level for at least 8 weeks before that player can be moved to the LTI list. And even if this were established, we would need that player's consent to be listed on the LTI list.

Hartlett and Livo are listed as being available in 5 and 4 weeks respectively, while Fisher is supposed to be returning next week.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:05 am 
Ken Hands

Well, shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:27 am 
Rod McGregor

I hear you brother, and I think the same thing.

Leading up to the draft, I was advocating for a rookie elevation for Santy, but only Carrots and Bentick were eventually elevated. Those who disagreed thought that he wasn't ready and/or could be temporarily elevated to replace Fish anyway. While disagreeing with the first bit, the last bit seemed to make sense and was comforting when Santy wasn't elevated. It looked like a certainty that Santy would be able to play until late May at least.

But as soon as the boys started training again, it was pretty clear that Fish was not going to be out until after Round 8. He trained like a madman.

I wonder if there were parallel discussions happening inside Carlton leading up to the draft (uninfluenced by discussions on these sites, I am sure). Maybe they miscalculated too. Maybe they were shocked at how quickly Fish would press for selection.

But it is a tragedy that we can't get Santy onto the park now. Having said that, I certainly don't wish for any LTI to give him a shot. I am very happy that Fish is coming on so well, and I wouldn't want to see a serious injury befall any player, let alone a Blueboy.

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:50 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Cyclonus wrote:
Well, shit.

you didn't hear this from me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:51 am 
Stephen Kernahan

actually, don't do that :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:29 am 
Bob Chitty

Quote:
But it is a tragedy that we can't get Santy onto the park now.

A little over-stated I'd suggest. He's learning his craft in the seconds and obviously coming along very nicely - I watched him yesterday afternoon against Port Melbourne & I'm very excited about his prospects, but I still think he's a season away from being able to hold his own in the AFL. Don't get me wrong, I am very confident he will make it as long-term player at Carlton - he's just not quite ready yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:33 am 
Geoff Southby

Isn't Hartlett injured? I thought I read it was potentially long term... anyone know?