Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:30 pm 
Laurie Kerr

I really can't blame one guy for the loss against the dockers but when Carlton had a bit control of the game at the second quarter Fevola messing around cost us goals he was benched straight after that.The thing that annoyed me the most at 3 quarter time when pagan was discussing his game plan to his players he looked like he just didn't want to know it he even started to walk off to grab a drink and Pagan grabbed his arm probably thinking are you listening to me,where are you going i'm talking, he seemed very pissed off Pagan,go and watch the tape or DVD to see it i was shocked.

I wonder if Pagan and Fevola are not going to get along with each other if his behaviour doesn't improve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:43 pm 
Bruce Doull

i think at this stage of where this club is at .. Denis cant really give up on Fev.. Its not like we have an abundance of guns.
I dont reckon Fev will ever be Mr Perfect. However he is a talent a hue talent and the onus is on us to either get the right players around him.
Or For Fevs own good.. trade him off to a club that can use him better.
Id hate to see him be this enigmatic 30 year old that continues to crack the Richos(Fevs) because his midfield cant kick a footy .That will just turn the supporters onto him. In my opinion its unfair... Fev is good at what he does. Kick goals.. but there have to be assists.

Denis isnt a dumb man. He realises what Fev is to this club both on field and off field. He is the most popular 'character' at the clu8b and losing him will make a huge dent in the charisma stakes at the club merchandise wise.
Cant see a couple of the others selling jumpers or stubbie holders like Fev does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:18 pm 
Trevor Keogh

fev is a predominantly a lead and mark forward. as such, he is very, very good.

opposition is plugging up the hole by playing a guy just in front of him. the ball gets forced to ground and the opposition ends up having this HUGE space to work in cos our guys wont run hard to get front & square. so they just switch play and set up on the counter.

fev is NOT a pack mark forward, well not yet anyway. but we are feeding him as though he were.

so what is his role here? i would say, predominantly get the ball to ground in the hope that a front & square guy can swoop. fev may snag a couple of one-handed, two bite marks, but really the percentage play is to bring the ball down in front of the pack.

but guess what? without eddie, we have NO-ONE who can get front & square. so suddenly fev's inability to take a juggled one-handed mark costs us on the rebound. so we go ballistic (hi ball boy ).

one thing about this opposition tactic. it's not just to stop fev, but it's also aimed at getting in his head. frustrating him and getting him to crack the sads. they reckon that fev showing bad body language permeates through the whole team.

and guess what? we are playing into their hands ... just making life easy for them and miserable for fev.

watched aints v richrabble tonight. gasper and gehrig fight for the ball. gasman wins out and carries it a bit. gehrig doesn't chase him but turns back towards goal. surprise, surprise .... gasman turns it over and guess who's on his own? yes ... gehrig ... who runs into the open goal ... but misses ... ... but that's beside the point.

let's fast forward to carlton ... fev loses the contest with FB. rather than chase he doubles back. only problem is that FB doesn't turn it over! so we go ballistic (hi ball baby!) at fev "why don't you chase you lazy F@%&#!" we scream! or if FB does turn it over, we see fev alone and kick it straight to the guy walls has shat on in the paper during the week, just cos it's decreed that the guy has to play a blinder!

my point ... like synbadder is saying ... things work differently in good sides!!

we can't become like the F@%&#! media here!! a weekly cylce of pumping up some guy or some team, while getting stuck into another guy or some other team! it's F@%&#! BORING!!!!!!!

if we were dominating in midfield and hitting fev lace-out and he was F@%&#! up, then ok we could be critical ... but this is NOT the current reality .... well not the way i'm seeing it anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:29 pm 
Rod McGregor

Who's saying that Pagan would or should give up on Fev? This early in the season, it would be foolish to give up on any player.

But when someone needs a kick up the bum, he should get it. And Fev needs one. I agree with ABTL that he let down the side at a vital time. Campo can be criticised for dumb reactions to taggers, but Fev shows the same lack of responsibility. Stevo's great example to the younger players can well and truly be undone by the spectacle of a charasmatic character behaving like he is bigger than the team. Left unchecked, his lack of discipline would be infectious.

Pagan is not the coach to treat Fev with kid gloves. If he thinks Pagan loves him, so he can behave like a spoiled child and receive an indulgent reaction, he is more stupid than any full-forward since Allan Jakovich. If he gets suspended, I would like to see Pagan force him to get a short back and sides cut and agree to ditch his Footy Show involvement. That at least would be a demonstration that he realises he a member of a team, albeit an important one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:44 pm 
Robert Walls

I suspect Fev is one of those that will need something major to happen for him to take stock and lift to the next level - that could either be a serious injury that causes him to miss a season such as a knee (note, I'm not wishing he does one!) or to be shopped around/traded. Some people just need that push - saw it with Fev in the brittain/pagan interchange, kouta's knees (remodelling his game plan) and more recently Lance last season.

In terms of M. richardson, I think the thing that has held him back from fulfilling his potential is that he has never been made to fell at risk or dispensable because of his actions - the biggest mistake the tigers have made in recent times has been to not seriously 'shop' richo around during trade time for his antics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:49 pm 
Robert Walls

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&s ... eid=198325

Quote:
Villain of the week:

BRENDAN FEVOLA (Carlton) - Fevola is proof of how quickly the fortunes of an AFL player can change following all the accolades that were heaped on him for the huge role he played in the Blues' Wizard Home Loans Cup success back in March. But Fevola has found that pre-season form counts for little once the home and away season gets underway and 12 goals in the first five games is a poor return for a player many people believe has the potential to kick 100 in a season. But even worse is that Fevola went back to his old undisciplined ways on Saturday against Fremantle, a trait many thought was no longer part of his game by getting himself involved in a tangle with Antoni Grover. Grover left the field with blood streaming from his eye immediately after the incident, one which could result in the Blues' star spearhead finding himself before the AFL Tribunal and risking a suspension at a time when Denis Pagan's struggling team badly need its ace goalkicker on the field and in-form.