Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: W.V.Lofts
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:30 pm 
Craig Bradley

Come home Wes all is forgiven!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:13 am 
Geoff Southby

NO WAY !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:21 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Great player in his day but as a committee member, probably ran the committee like he played footy. Bash, crash.
I think we are better off without him.

Post subject: Lofts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:39 am 
Craig Bradley

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Great player in his day but as a committee member, probably ran the committee like he played footy. Bash, crash.
I think we are better off without him.

I think you are probably right, but it's his attitude I admired. While everything eventually went pear shaped, he was a tireless servant of the club and gave it his all. Didn't stand on toes , he ground them into the carpet. Rightly or wrongly that type of person is what we have missed at the club recently.
I would love to have been a fly on the wall if Fev had to front Wes last week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:07 pm 
Harry Vallence

MC, you haven't caught up with the latest trends. Apparently, dealing with the Gen Y'ers means you have to do things differently.

You can't say to a player, stick to their gaol-kicking small in D50 like glue. That doesn't wash anymore. Because they know better than the oldies. The Gen-Y defender knows that he's far more effective if he can find space when the ball gets into D50. That way, he can mark wayward kicks or receive a handball and race away down-field.

So players like Bower know they can outsmart opponents like Davis by sneaking off by themselves.

To persuade them to do what you want, apparently you have to spend a few hours workshopping ideas with them as if you're a counsellor. And you have to let them go off and do their own thing until they realise on their own that their U/18 style might not be suited to the seniors.

With Fev, you can't just tell him that arguing with the umpire while the ball is being contested within 10 metres of him is bad. You have to work out some complex strategies to make him own that feeling. Maybe a season or two will help him find his own way.

No, Wes Lofts just wouldn't have the sensitivity required. Better to get a social worker in and let the boys find themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:15 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Its got very little to do with Generation Y.
Its more about moving with the times and embracing change. Wes was like his mate John. They lived in the past and set our club behind many years with their stubborness.

Sounds familiar hey? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

You're being too hard on Sticks, BV. Remember, the guy's a legend.

Post subject: Lofts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:41 pm 
Craig Bradley

Indie, youare right I will have to lift my gameand catch up with all the modern trends, not to mention jargon.
Blooby hell it used to be a simple game, as Alan Jeans said there are only 3 phases in footy, either we've got it, they've got it , or the ball is in dispute.
Ah the good old days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Wes still has the club's best interests at heart and was influential in Pratt taking up the presidency.

Thankfully Dick has a better idea than Wes as to what the club's best interests actually are... :wink:

Mort Sahl

Post subject: " Indie "
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:33 pm 
Geoff Southby

Indie wrote:
MC, you haven't caught up with the latest trends. Apparently, dealing with the Gen Y'ers means you have to do things differently.

You can't say to a player, stick to their gaol-kicking small in D50 like glue. That doesn't wash anymore. Because they know better than the oldies. The Gen-Y defender knows that he's far more effective if he can find space when the ball gets into D50. That way, he can mark wayward kicks or receive a handball and race away down-field.

So players like Bower know they can outsmart opponents like Davis by sneaking off by themselves.

To persuade them to do what you want, apparently you have to spend a few hours workshopping ideas with them as if you're a counsellor. And you have to let them go off and do their own thing until they realise on their own that their U/18 style might not be suited to the seniors.

With Fev, you can't just tell him that arguing with the umpire while the ball is being contested within 10 metres of him is bad. You have to work out some complex strategies to make him own that feeling. Maybe a season or two will help him find his own way.

No, Wes Lofts just wouldn't have the sensitivity required. Better to get a social worker in and let the boys find themselves.

Indie mate,thats as good as anything i have ever read on TC.
Hilarious mate.............the scary part is you have hit the nail on the head.We have got too many softies.