Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Who would you favour as next coach?
Voss 41%  41%  [ 102 ]
Buckley 6%  6%  [ 15 ]
Silvagni 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Ratten 17%  17%  [ 43 ]
Bradley 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
McKenna 20%  20%  [ 49 ]
Longmire 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Mitchell 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Roos 6%  6%  [ 14 ]
Thomas 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
No change, keep Pagan 3%  3%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 249
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:04 am 
Horrie Clover

No to Voss!

Yes to Ratten!

Reasons:

voss is untried & let's please remember experements like Watson, who was a naturally gifted footballer like Voss is but turned out to be nothing as a coach.

I think blokes who are natural champion players may have a problem in passing on that knowledge to other players as the game came natural to them, it can create a situation where they find it hard to relate to a problem that a player with lesser ability has & make it very difficult to "teach" things that are needed for development of younger players.

I would prefer to have a coach that had to work & think his way through his career as he would have a greater understanding of the problems, frustrations & pitfalls that a footballer has to deal with.

Brett Ratten is that type of person, he didn't just walk into a side as a superstar, but instead did his apprenticeship in the reserves, did a long time as a back pocket player before moving into the middile & becoming one of the best centremen I have ever seen & I have seen a few over the years.

He is also able to lead by example & no one can say to him "how would you know it all came easy"

I also think he would be a good fit because he is a Carlton person & may be able to restore pride & passion for the Jumper & the club, which is very much missing & causing a great deal of our problems.

These kids can play good footy, the games against Port & Footscray show that they are capable, which leads me back to attitude & commitment.

People have said that Dennis was just an employee & didn't embody Carlton, Voss will be no different, he will be just another bloke collecting a pay packet.

We need to restore the understanding of what it is to be a Carlton player, we need to restore the fabric & feel of the club, we need these blokes to be prepared to put themselves in harms way for each other, the club & for loyal supporters who love their club & ride every bump, kick every goal & feel the pain of every loss deep in their hearts.

We need a coach who can make us Carlton again & in my humble opinion the man is Ratten not Voss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:09 am 
Laurie Kerr

phoenix johnson wrote:
Voss - Coach
Sheedy - Mentor

How does that sound?

This is beginning to sound appealing to me. Maybe Sheedy as Director of Football, to 'relieve' Sticks of his duties? It would really piss off Essendon*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:24 am 
Harry Vallence

blues8182 wrote:
No to Voss!

Yes to Ratten!

Reasons:

voss is untried & let's please remember experements like Watson, who was a naturally gifted footballer like Voss is but turned out to be nothing as a coach.

I think blokes who are natural champion players may have a problem in passing on that knowledge to other players as the game came natural to them, it can create a situation where they find it hard to relate to a problem that a player with lesser ability has & make it very difficult to "teach" things that are needed for development of younger players.

I would prefer to have a coach that had to work & think his way through his career as he would have a greater understanding of the problems, frustrations & pitfalls that a footballer has to deal with.
Leigh Mathews was voted the greatest player ever.He spent half a year as an assistant at Collingwood before taking over as senior coach when they were performing poorly.He led both Collingwood and Brisbane to flags,building them up from lowly positions.I can see clear comparisons with Voss and Mathews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:40 am 
Horrie Clover

Princes Park Whistler wrote:
blues8182 wrote:
No to Voss!

Yes to Ratten!

Reasons:

Leigh Mathews was voted the greatest player ever.He spent half a year as an assistant at Collingwood before taking over as senior coach when they were performing poorly.He led both Collingwood and Brisbane to flags,building them up from lowly positions.I can see clear comparisons with Voss and Mathews.

Two things about Matthews,

1) When he moved into the role at Collingwood the football world was vastly different to what it is now.

2) Matthews developed into the footballer he was & didn't just happen, he worked hard at it.

also the main thing I was trying to get across is that we need to rebuild the heart & soul of the club Voss will NOT able to teach the players what it means to be Carlton as he isn't Carlton, Brett Ratten is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:41 am 
Wayne Johnston

IMHO we need a whole new coaching team. We should have nothing to do with any assistants from the Pagan era. (that includes any mates of Sticks). I have always been a fan of Ratten, but I am worried that he may have caught "Paganitis" I guess we will learn more after todays's game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:44 am 
Wayne Johnston

blues8182 wrote:
No to Voss!

Yes to Ratten!

Reasons:

Brett Ratten is that type of person, he didn't just walk into a side as a superstar, but instead did his apprenticeship in the reserves, did a long time as a back pocket player before moving into the middile & becoming one of the best centremen I have ever seen & I have seen a few over the years.

He is also able to lead by example & no one can say to him "how would you know it all came easy"

I also think he would be a good fit because he is a Carlton person & may be able to restore pride & passion for the Jumper & the club, which is very much missing & causing a great deal of our problems.

These kids can play good footy, the games against Port & Footscray show that they are capable, which leads me back to attitude & commitment.

People have said that Dennis was just an employee & didn't embody Carlton, Voss will be no different, he will be just another bloke collecting a pay packet.

We need to restore the understanding of what it is to be a Carlton player, we need to restore the fabric & feel of the club, we need these blokes to be prepared to put themselves in harms way for each other, the club & for loyal supporters who love their club & ride every bump, kick every goal & feel the pain of every loss deep in their hearts.

We need a coach who can make us Carlton again & in my humble opinion the man is Ratten not Voss.

Your case against Voss is flawed.

Remember Voss was with the Bad News Bears, he led that club onfield through the times we are experiencing now. Ratten doesn't have failure on his resume, except for 1 year when he was injured most games anyway. You want someone who understands our current predicament then Voss is that man.

Stating Voss won't embody Carlton is a joke. You do know that Voss was a Carlton supporter as a kid? Navy Blue is in his blood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:10 am 
Rod Ashman

blues8182 wrote:
No to Voss!

Yes to Ratten!

Reasons:

Tick. That Barassi bloke could play a bit too.

Voss coup = Barassi coup. Both from clubs that had a recent premiership culture too. Love the similarities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:23 am 
Harry Vallence

1) When he moved into the role at Collingwood the football world was vastly different to what it is now.

2) Matthews developed into the footballer he was && didn't just happen, he worked hard at it.

also the main thing I was trying to get across is that we need to rebuild the heart & soul of the club Voss will NOT able to teach the players what it means to be Carlton as he isn't Carlton, Brett Ratten is.[/quote]

Are you saying Voss didnt have to work on his game?We have had great success under coaches from other clubs.We will still have Carlton people on the board,possibly as assistants and around the club.Voss was a Carlton supporter as well.

Last edited by Princes Park Whistler on Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:24 am 
Wayne Johnston

The Michael Voss Profile:

http://www.velocitysports.com.au/default.asp?PageID=65

PS: Can someone tell me the difference between assistant coach at the AIS and Assistant Coach at AFL level?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:26 am 
Wayne Johnston

2) Matthews developed into the footballer he was && didn't just happen, he worked hard at it.

also the main thing I was trying to get across is that we need to rebuild the heart & soul of the club Voss will NOT able to teach the players what it means to be Carlton as he isn't Carlton, Brett Ratten is.[/quote)Are you saying Voss didnt have to work on his game?We have had great success under coaches from other clubs.We will still have Carlton people on the board,possibly as assistants and around the club.Voss was a Carlton supporter as well.

What is Carlton? Success and arrogance? Surely Voss fits the mould?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:32 am 
Harry Vallence

mjonc wrote:

also the main thing I was trying to get across is that we need to rebuild the heart & soul of the club Voss will NOT able to teach the players what it means to be Carlton as he isn't Carlton, Brett Ratten is.[/quote)Are you saying Voss didnt have to work on his game?We have had great success under coaches from other clubs.We will still have Carlton people on the board,possibly as assistants and around the club.Voss was a Carlton supporter as well.

What is Carlton? Success and arrogance? Surely Voss fits the mould?
I agree with you mjonc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:35 am 
Rod McGregor

"fortune favours the bold" :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:40 am 
Ken Hunter

good grief!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:01 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Oooh crumbs!

I just want to start winning again. It matters little who's in charge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

Swann, Sticks, Gleeson and Icke met with Voss yesterday. Swann on AW said we're not interested in Sheedy or Daniher and are looking at a young coach recently out of the game to help motivate and relate to our young list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:04 pm 
Bert Deacon

Can we restart the poll, please? Maybe next week, anyway. Now that Ratten has coached a game, and our perspective might be refined, the coaches race is well and truly on, and Bond isn't on the list...Anyway, my new votes:

1. Ratten
2. McKenna
3. Voss
4. Bond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:32 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

1. McKenna
2. Ratten
3. Sheedy
4. Sumich
5. Bond
6. Voss
7. O'Donnell
8. Harvey
9. Daniher
10. Longmire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:58 pm 
formerly Josh Kaplan

I dont know how many heard Swanny on 3AW
But he spoke about getting a "fresh young coach" to grow with the team
All signs pointed to Voss as a done deal in both interviews

Thought Ratts coached well today though and Id hate to think his rights have already been read

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:15 pm 
Rod Ashman

Josh Kaplan wrote:
I dont know how many heard Swanny on 3AW
But he spoke about getting a "fresh young coach" to grow with the team
All signs pointed to Voss as a done deal in both interviews

Thought Ratts coached well today though and Id hate to think his rights have already been read

Nah, but him heard on 3LO. Virtually admitted we are tanking. Admitted the filth did it in 2005. Just said we would play kids and players that have injuries would be sent for surgery. Very honest answer.

Sellers pretty scathing of Pagan. Criticised him for leaving North, saying he only really did it for money. If he wanted to coach a big club, why didn't he make his club and big club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:27 pm 
Bruce Doull

Any chance we'll hear Carey or Archer have another crack this time for their mate?

#GUILTY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next