Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: The Next Five Weeks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:18 pm 
Craig Bradley

I tend to break seasons down into 5 game brackets. After the first 5 games I was looking for a 2-3 win/loss ratio as an acceptable result, possibly a 3-2 if we played to potential and had a little luck. Thus a 1 win 1 draw 3 loss ratio is to me somewhat dissappointing.

Given that football is a team game it is important when setting longterm goals is that the goals are team orientated goals. Indivivual players goals can be set each for each game. After the first five games it is clear what our team deficencies are ie accurate disposal and kicking on goal. Other team deficencies that have become apparent is the lack of accountbility for opposition players and concentration during the middle phases of a game.

The big positive in my mind over the past few weeks have been the overall work ethic and willingness of players to put themselves on the line.

So if I was sitting down and setting team goals for the next five weeks these are what they would be.

1. Less rushing of ball movement, clear thinking leads to accurate disposal
2. Keeping the F50 clear of players, allow our Key forwards the space they need to work. If the opposition wish to congest the F50 fine let them, kick over the top on the recovered rebound. Oh and one up everyone else down in a pack would be nice.
3. Coverage of the opposition player. If we do not have the ball, then find a opposition jumper and resist the temptation to run off until we have clear possession.

If we do these things and maintain our workrate we will win more than we lose.

Over the next five weeks we have Hawthorn, Richmond, Geelong, Melbourne and Adelaide. Two of those games are definatly winnable even with the way we currently play, and at least one more if we tighten up as I have discussed. In my veiw the last 5 weeks was a period of lost oppotunity, the next five weeks should be a period of improvment to take advantage of oppotunity

L.M 35-06