Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:44 pm 
Trevor Keogh

since the real stuff started we have really struggled to maintain a good shape and to get front and square.

we are constantly outnumbered in contests, but to make things worse if we do get the ball to ground we just dont have anyone front and square to mop up.

again, we were killed once the ball hit the ground in the forward line, and just allowed the opposition to set up from the back.

we can't allow team to just drop a guy into the back line, win the spillage and then switch play to set up a counter-attack.

we can't let teams exploit us so easily like that.

we need to keep our shape better; be a more compact team; and keep opposition defences more honest.

i'm sick of seeing the grovers and the schmovers and the shteigles and the schmogles cut us up across HB!

they end up putting our defence under enourmous pressure!! it was obvious today that karl lost confidence when med-front-runner kicked his 3rd. carrazzo became so shell-shocked he ended up dropping chest marks and fumbling. our defence is still very inexperienced and needs all the help it can get.

the lack of shape/structure, together with some piss-weak forward efforts, are not helping the kids down back.

having said that, our guys showed tremendous heart to hang in there and i'm convinced that the freo-front-runners would have lost against a better organised and better skilled team.

it says a lot about us, and them, that we had the chances to pinch a win!! :shock:

but they're feeling really really good about themselves down freo-front-runner way!! that's the thing that shits me the most!!!!!!! :evil:

special mention to jarrad waite who i thought was really good. wiggo tried very hard and tried to set the tone in the last qtr. carrazzo tried hard but was outclassed. houla, kouta, stevo, campo ran hard. lappo seemed to tire. deluca was disappointing. walker did some nice things but doesn't relish the contest yet. johno was ok. whits tried hard but dropped too many chest marks!!. t-lo just couldn't get into the game. thornton did as much as one could expect from a first up game. karl was disappointing, and i'm losing patience with him.

hate losing to those front-running bastards ... HATE HATE HATE!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:51 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I agree with the sentiment re: front and square. We have no crumbers - our midfielders didn't push hard enough going forward to get to the contest.

To beat Freo you need to play man on man in order to negate their chipping game. We didn't and paid the price. Most of their attacks were set up from HB after our forwards failed to keep the ball in.

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:12 pm 
Craig Bradley

maxyblue wrote:
but they're feeling really really good about themselves down freo-front-runner way!! that's the thing that shits me the most!!!!!!! :evil:

They play a crap style of football down Freo way. Yet another flood defence and maintain possession at all costs disciple. Worst offenders are Williams, Connolly, Laidley, Roos and Eade. It'll get you some extra wins, but no one's going to build a dynasty playing like that. Only reason Port won last year, was because Brisbane were off the boil, Saints and Cats aren't yet ready, and because they've got a super-skilled list and a gun power forward in Tredrea.

Unfortunately a lot of teams play this way. Which not only means we have to watch them, but we have to learn to play against them. If you can't match the skill level or their run, then you're in trouble, unless you've got some key forwards who can beat a couple of defenders.

Unfortunately we're going to continue to struggle to win these sorts of games. Until our speed and run improve. Until our skill level improves. Until our goal kicking efficiency improves. Or until we get some key forwards who are big enough or good enough to beat a couple of defenders. Even at their best Fev and Whits aren't really these sorts of players (not big enough, and don't take contested marks).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:10 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Great post Stef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:13 am 
Craig Bradley

Johnno kicked a beautiful rover's goal today, simply by timing his run across the pack and running to the most logical spot.

It looks easy enough to do, but where are Davies and the like when the ball goes to hands? More often than not up trying to contest the mark with the key forwards, leaving their opponents at ground level to collect the ball and clear it away unopposed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:01 pm 
Horrie Clover

Ponkstar wrote:
Johnno kicked a beautiful rover's goal today, simply by timing his run across the pack and running to the most logical spot.

It looks easy enough to do, but where are Davies and the like when the ball goes to hands? More often than not up trying to contest the mark with the key forwards, leaving their opponents at ground level to collect the ball and clear it away unopposed.

If Saturday's game is to go by...sitting on the bench. Bit hard to contest from there. Same goes for previous games with Betts. But in principal I agree with you.