Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:56 pm 
Rod Ashman

No one gives it any thought at the beginning of the season, but Carlton does extremely well with a new young coach who is in his first year - this occurs in the near future.

So looking backwards from that future point in time at the sort of qualities that such a person would need to have in order to pull off what others think is not possible -
then that coach would need to have a very large dose of 'the x factor' - and be able to inspire his players in ways that others cannot.

I dont know whether Voss is going to be our next coach, but I do believe that he is a person with 'the x factor' and could indeed have the proven authority to motivate players in ways that would bring us success..

Another feature of that future season that I perceive - is that Carlton suddenly clicks into another gear and has an unanticipated power surge just before or during the finals.

I believe that this improvement would be the result of the work of the new young coach and wouldnt be unexpected by him - but instead anticipated or hoped for - after his private and secret work with his young players.....

Actually, we end the home and away season occupying a low spot in the final eight - and almost everyone believes that we are just making up the numbers and will be quickly eliminated during the finals...

Now, in order for the unexpected to happen - we would need a coach who is a special kind of person - and probably a person who has the skills required to scale a steep learning curve in his first year - and by the last few games of that season - is starting to hit his straps.....

Michael Voss has boldly and quite publically asserted that he doesnt need a coaching apprencticeship, and that Paul Roo's rules actually dont apply to him - and that he has the skills right now that are needed to take a senior coaches job.

This is the talk of someone who is either quite foolishly understimating the requirements of modern coaching - or else, it is the talk of a man with the drive, the ability and the potential to do just as he says - which is exactly the sort of person that would be able to conjure the necessary magic and also take advantage of the good fortune that I believe Carlton is destined for...

As I said - I dont know whether Voss will be that man - but you would have to say that he is a very likely type...

Now, Mr Pratt is well aware of the risk versus reward paradigm - and if he just happened to select Michael Voss, then maybe he would be doing so with thoughts of a glittering prize in the front of his mind - but with two crossed fingers behind his back...

Of course, the media portray this new coach as nothing particularly special - nothing more than a new first year coach - but this is to be expected, as the media are pretty stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:57 pm 
Rod Ashman

Warby wrote:
Still can't comprehend the fascination with Buckley with no Premiership experience to call on......every AFL Club declared VOSS the most inspirational leader......much like Barassi who had no Coaching experience but had played in multi Premiership teams as Captain.

Because when you listen to Buckley analyse the game, and then you listen to Voss analysing the game, Buckley is up there with Lyon and Brereton in his ability to understand and articulate what is going on, and Voss is up there with my 8 year old niece.

IF we were going to appoint someone sight unseen, then Buckley over Voss in a heartbeat.

In the even that Pratt can't lure away a present coach, I'd be looking to someone like McKenna (coached under Malthouse and Worsfold, and been head coach of Claremont), or one that hasn't been mentioned, Shaun Rehn (currently an assistant under Matthews, also coached West Adelaide and had huge raps on him there as a coach who was brilliant with the young kids).

I'd also be happy with Mark Harvey. I know there are many on here who don't like him, but I think his football understanding is excellent, he has great communication skills, and in his interview last week on SEN, said he feels like he is now ready, that he has learnt everything there is to learn as an assistant (not just certain areas, he said that before he took on a senior role, he wanted exposure to all aspects of the coaching caper. Also said that you couldn't just walk into a senior coach's job without having served as an apprentice, that there was too much going on off the field, let alone onfield, that needed to be learned).

Bring back the laurel wreath logo!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:48 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Mckenna will coach Freo......
Buckley has had issues communicating with some Pies players over the years as captain and had to be told to change his approach.....no one doubts he is a great student of the game but I would prefer Voss who seems to be able to get on with people at all levels....not just the elite...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:28 am 
Rod Ashman

I cannot believe the obsession with Voss. We are recruiting a coach not a captain. His performance on TV indicates a guy who is not particularly articulate and never says anything that indicates an above average grasp of the modern game. He also doesn't say anything that indicates he is smarter than ,most footballers.

Forget about how well he played the game, playing is not coaching. The fact that Voss put himself in the position to be charged with assault indicates a lack of maturity and judgement. This is not pre empting the trial. The fact is he put himself in a position where he could be charged. Really stupid. And really do we want a coach who reckons Fraser Gherig is a good bloke to go boozing with.

Also Voss' comments re him not requiring an apprentcieship indicates a level of arrogance that is worrying. I really hope Dick Pratt is not an old style John Elliott decision maker when it comes to footy. We don't need a big name, we need a good coach.

If Voss shows he is intelligent enough to understand the need for some sort of apprentieship rather than to arrogantly assume he should just walk in and take over maybe we could consider him. Ackland is the last in a long, long line of bad decisions the club has made stretching back for ten years or more. The coaching decision is the biggest and most important we will make (with the possible exception of our use of top 20 draft picks). If we get it wrong it will be more years down the gurgler.

I reckon Voss was agreat footballer. There is nothying he has done or sdaid that makes me think he will be a good coach. If and when we go after a coach, he can put his hat in the ring and apply with everyone else. I suspect he thinks he is above doing that though. We want the best and we have to get it right.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:11 am 
Horrie Clover

true blue wrote:
one way or another i think Pagan is gone after last night but the question is - who would the Blues be better off with - Ratten or Voss

1 - Raten has expierience as an assistance coach, has he learnt enough & does he have a game plan that would not see us get blown out of the water like we did last night & really improve our style of play

2 - Voss has no previous expierience but has had enormous benefit of playing under Matthews for years & being involved in 3 premierships, would know how it all works very well, does he have a game plan that would see us prevail from where we are at the moment

Both have been champions of the game & have a smart footy brain but who in your opinion would make a better coach for Carlton

How much quicker will we improve on the field under either of them, are they the ones we should be looking at or is there some else out there that we have overlooked, lets hope clear minds prevail & the right decision is made soon as we cannot have a repeat performance like last night again, insipid performances cannot be tolerated anymore - it is not good enough

we won't improve as quickly as we all want unless the players, yes that is right the players pull their fingers out and start playing like professionsals

coach do not win games and they do not lose ga,es- PLAYERS win and lose games

yes coachs play an important part, but come game day it is the players who win or lose the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:37 pm 
Robert Walls

I'm not sure I can fathom the link between what someone says on tv or radio and coaching ability (or potential ability).

Is there supposed to be a relationship? So Dermie is insightful in some peoples eyes - why don't we get him as a coach? Gawwy Lyon? Tim Lane?

What Voss says on radio or tv would have little reflection of his football nous or potential as a coach as far as I'm concerned. It makes him either a good or bad media performer. That's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:52 pm 
Rod Ashman

Quote:
What Voss says on radio or tv would have little reflection of his football nous or potential as a coach as far as I'm concerned. It makes him either a good or bad media performer. That's all.

WBY doesn't the way Voss expresses himself and what he chooses to say indicate whether he is articulate, whether he is intelligent, whether he is a quick lateral thinker etc. All of which would be required of a coach.
I don't want Lyon as coach. I reckon he is good as a media presenter but I don't reckon he shows great insight, and Dermie is never going to be a coach. The judgements posters are making about Voss can only be on what we have seen, and part of that is what we have seen in the media.

Few coaches go from the media to coaching anyway. Some go from coaching to the media and then back again.
I guess if we are discussing this at all it would be interesting to know why people rate Voss as a great potential coach. He was a great footballer and captain. That doesn't seem a huge requirement for successful coaches. How many current coaches have been captains - just a few. I just think everyone seems to be getting excited by Voss based on his playing record. There's nothing I can see that would make him necessarily a great coach.

Anyway if and when we want a coach, he can apply and present and try and impress. What I don't want is to end up with Voss without any sort of selection process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:48 pm 
Robert Walls

Voss as a media performer is facing far different pressures and expectations to what would be expected as a coach. I don't agree that being a snappy sound bite provider gives any indication of the quality (or not) of him as a coach.

I don't know whether he would make a good coach or not but I'm not going to take into account his performance in the media when making a judgement call. But I would take into account his football record. I'll make my judgement on the many plaudits he received from players and officials and coaches about the way he performs, his preparation and leadership as a footballer - not as a media personality.

How he communicates to a team/his team would be entirely different from the way Ch 10 have groomed him to communicate to the GP. I'd be certain Ch 10s grooming would be ongoing and maybe in a few years he will be tvs consumate football special comments analyst - but I'll judge his potential as a coach on his football record.

TV doesn't indicate whether anyone is intelligent, articulate or a lateral thinker - it simply places enourmous pressure on you to perform within very constrictive boundaries quickly and entertainingly - some do it well. Most don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

gerry atric wrote:
I cannot believe the obsession with Voss. We are recruiting a coach not a captain. His performance on TV indicates a guy who is not particularly articulate and never says anything that indicates an above average grasp of the modern game. He also doesn't say anything that indicates he is smarter than ,most footballers.

Forget about how well he played the game, playing is not coaching. The fact that Voss put himself in the position to be charged with assault indicates a lack of maturity and judgement. This is not pre empting the trial. The fact is he put himself in a position where he could be charged. Really stupid. And really do we want a coach who reckons Fraser Gherig is a good bloke to go boozing with.

Also Voss' comments re him not requiring an apprentcieship indicates a level of arrogance that is worrying. I really hope Dick Pratt is not an old style John Elliott decision maker when it comes to footy. We don't need a big name, we need a good coach.

If Voss shows he is intelligent enough to understand the need for some sort of apprentieship rather than to arrogantly assume he should just walk in and take over maybe we could consider him. Ackland is the last in a long, long line of bad decisions the club has made stretching back for ten years or more. The coaching decision is the biggest and most important we will make (with the possible exception of our use of top 20 draft picks). If we get it wrong it will be more years down the gurgler.

I reckon Voss was agreat footballer. There is nothying he has done or sdaid that makes me think he will be a good coach. If and when we go after a coach, he can put his hat in the ring and apply with everyone else. I suspect he thinks he is above doing that though. We want the best and we have to get it right.

Agree completely Gerry. To my mind, there is a link between what we hear in the media and what their capabilities as coach would be. If he can't articulate in the media anything of value (and I haven't heard him say anything of realy value), then that might suggest that he is unable to do that in other areas.

The question I keep asking on here is, all those 'Voss for coach' people...what makes you think he would be such a good senior coach? I asked this on another thread, and noone would give me an answer.

And please don't give me the 'great captain, respected by all, premeriship player' rubbish...if that was the case, Kernahan would be our next coach.

Bring back the laurel wreath logo!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:45 pm 
Harry Vallence

Siegfried wrote:
The question I keep asking on here is, all those 'Voss for coach' people...what makes you think he would be such a good senior coach? I asked this on another thread, and noone would give me an answer.

And please don't give me the 'great captain, respected by all, premeriship player' rubbish...if that was the case, Kernahan would be our next coach.

I am not in the Voss camp, but what I believe that he would give us is hunger to succeed, experience of what current premiership clubs are doing in the way of player management, injury management/prevention, coaching structure and winning culture, flexible coaching and his ability to unify a group of players. Remeber that Brisbane were pretty innovative with fatige mangement along with the I.V drips and keeping Voss going with very shody knees. Also things like low altitude flights for big games. These are the things that we know about, I'm sure that there are more we don't know.

That doesn't mean that he will be a good coach, but his competetive spirit will not allow faliure, so even if doesn't make the grade he will at least bring something different to what we have right now - and that is a VERY GOOD THING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:46 pm 
Bob Chitty

Ratten impresses me and has the benfit of some coaching experience.

As players, Ratten was pretty damn good - if not as brilliant as Voss is considered to have been.

How often do the hard working players make more successful coaches that the more brilliant ones?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:08 pm 
Garry Crane

You would have to chose Ratten over Voss. Voss would have to do at least 1 year as an assisstant to get the job i'd reckon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:33 pm 
Harry Vallence

You wouldn't give Voss a job just on his reputation. If he interviews brilliantly, so be it. But ignore the media hype. Just as Gary Lyon got a big bump in the media because he was in it, so the media bump up Voss. He's one of them. Same thing with Timmy. Didn't count for anything in the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:38 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Muesli wrote:
You would have to chose Ratten over Voss. Voss would have to do at least 1 year as an assisstant to get the job i'd reckon.

...and if we didn't almost immediately show improvement; and Voss worked magic with another side?......what next?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Warby wrote:
Muesli wrote:

...and if we didn't almost immediately show improvement; and Voss worked magic with another side?......what next?

What if, what if,......what if Voss gets a conviction in August for assault?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:58 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

mikkey wrote:
Warby wrote:
Muesli wrote:

What if....what if, indeed......(but he won't)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:08 pm 
Garry Crane

Warby wrote:
mikkey wrote:
Warby wrote:
Muesli wrote:

leigh matthews has a conviction for assault....look what it got him? 4 premierships as a coach (and how many as a player...?)

maybe thats the trick.... :shock:

"dennis, hit him in the moosh"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:26 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

brad2311 wrote:
Warby wrote:
mikkey wrote:
Warby wrote:
Muesli wrote:

leigh matthews has a conviction for assault....look what it got him? 4 premierships as a coach (and how many as a player...?)

maybe thats the trick.... :shock:

"dennis, hit him in the moosh"

Four Flags as a player.....then four as a Coach......absolute legend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Matthews retired from playing in 1985 and began coaching in 1986, taking Collingwood to their first flag after the worst period in their history.

... and yes, he was charged with assault the year before he started coaching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:14 pm 
Harry Vallence

I can't remember any great talk back then about players being role models. In fact, the VFL wasn't bothered about Lethal's hit on Bruns. They said he couldn't be charged on the basis of the video tape. It was the police who took the view that his conduct was beyond the pale and if the VFL wasn't going to punish him, they'd let the Courts do it.

Then he went off and started coaching the Pies. This was well before they became media darlings. Back in the days of Vic Park, where opposition supporters feared to wear their clubs' colours. Where Millane and Shaw loved a bit of rough stuff. Where the Magpie faithful and the players thought it was fair game to target Aboriginal players because of the colour of their skin.

Different times, those.

It used to be that if club officials heard that one of their boys had been caught drink-driving, they'd only be worried about whether the player injured himself and how to keep him out of jail. Now they worry about the effect on sponsorships and advertising.

Jimmy Buckley went on trial for culpable driving while he was with us. He had a fatal prang with Rollo Roylance as a passenger. Fortunately, he was acquitted. I don't think there was any talk of him being suspended because of it. I reckon these days he would have been cut adrift. Imagine if a current AFL player were to be involved in a fatal collision where it was alleged he was drunk? And yes, there was the odd incident with Teague recently which had the same sort of consequences, but far less negiligence.

Clubs are now trying to keep their boys out of pubs, and out of fights at pubs in particular. I'd love to see Vossy laying down the law on that score.

If a week's a long time in footy, 2 decades are an eternity.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next