Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:19 pm 
Garry Crane

I'd like to pose a question in regards to Brendon Fevolas contract negotiations. I'd like to know what our spearhead, gun, full forward would be worth, especially after todays performance against Freo. Not to mention the eye gouging incident which could see him out between 1-4 weeks. Is he worth more than 300K?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:21 pm 
Robert Walls

his worth wont change too much from todays performance - thing is he will still be in very high demand from other teams. He will still probably get 400-500k/season for his next contract.

The thing about today's performance is that is might make the match commitee more open to the prospect of trading him if they feel that he is develop the consistent second efforts etc when he has an inevitable bad day every once in a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

If he's going to turn into the next Richo, and as a consequence have our fortunes go up and down depending on his petulant tantrums, then @#$%&! him, tell your story walking big fella!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:30 pm 
Bruce Comben

I don't think we can compare him to Richo. That said, I find it surprising that he either doesn't get a free in some of those one on ones where he seems to be ripped off the footy. If they are genuine wrestles I'd expect a guy wheighing 102 kilos to keep his feet planted in most situations.

The kicking he receives at times is pretty poor. Today no real exception. I reckon he should rub some of rosin they use on their hands onto his socks so the passes stick! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:32 pm 
Craig Bradley

Maybe if his teamamtes actually hit him on the chest or put the ball out front on the lead rather than his toes, then he might have a hope.
The only player that seems to be able to spot him up is Houla

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:35 pm 
Bruce Doull

can't compare him to Richo? I don't know if there's any other player who is as much a confidence/petulance player as Richo is, than Fev (well, maybe Farmer.....).

He's just got to understand that some days are just shit, and he should do his best to make his TEAM'S day a good one.

IMO, we rely on him too much when he's down, which only sinks him further under our and his own pressure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:37 pm 
Garry Crane

I agree 4th chicken, he will still be in demand and some rival clubs will want to spend that 400-500k, but do you think it is in the best interest of CFC to pay someone that much, who is spending time on the pine. This also has a negative influence on the rest of the team, when they look up and see their gun full forward sitting on the bench. What message are we sending out to the rest of the players????

Last edited by James Bond on Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:38 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Supply to Fev was awful today - often because we didn't have players who were in space who could weight and direct their kick properly.

Midfield and forward line really let us down, the back half did as well as they could given the midfield's lack of accountability. We dominated the clearances but failed to gain any meaningful ball into our F50.

Our forward forays have been awful and our forward structure poor.

ALSO - Why do all the 3 talls have to bring their opponent into the same contest??? How many times did our talls bring their Freo opponents - and left easy crumbs for Freo flankers and mids. It's ok if our crumbers are there, but if they're not, then having huge numbers at a contest is just asking for trouble.

Our forward structure is terrible. They all kick to the hot spot and EVERY forward converges on it - where opposition defenders just hang on the ground and run it out. We have no faith in the forwards to win the contest which is why we add numbers to the contest - it's actually counter-productive.

We miss Brad Fisher more than we think IMO.

- Igor Stravinsky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:44 pm 
Garry Crane

I agree that the supply to Fev is sub standard, but that is not the question that I first posted. I would like to know how much he is worth after todays performance and his undisciplined actions (ie reportable offence, sitting on the bench etc)..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:50 pm 
Craig Bradley

In answer to your question JB, Fev will be judged on his seasons return. And I must admit that in some key performance indicators he is struggling atm, in other he is doing OK. But I would also admit that Fev is not performing at the level I would expect from an experienced player that holds down a KP. He may indeed require the "Lance treatment' come trade period.

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:09 pm 
Garry Crane

Agree with BM. A player that has the potential to demand up to 500K, such as Lloyd, Gherig, Neitz, Barry Hall (of the last few years), Jonathan Brown etc, don't spend anywhere near as much time on the bench as our Fev does. What audacity has he to demand that amount of money? I heard both the Jonathan Brown and Fevola interview on SEN during the week. Brown said that he wants to stay committed to the Lions, unlike Fevola who gave no indication about loyalty to the club, as the club has shown loyalty to him. The only feeling I got after listening to Fev was, "Show Me The Money". If it wasn't for CFC and Pagan, Fev could well be cleaning the Werribee sewers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:11 pm 
Craig Bradley

baggerblood wrote:
That said, I find it surprising that he either doesn't get a free in some of those one on ones where he seems to be ripped off the footy. If they are genuine wrestles I'd expect a guy wheighing 102 kilos to keep his feet planted in most situations.

He might benefit from some 'acting' lessons from other key forwards, who highlight any contact and take dives when out of position. We might also benefit from some club 'complaints' about his treatment. It worked to an extent with Sydney and Barry Hall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:20 pm 
Robert Walls

James Bond wrote:
I agree 4th chicken, he will still be in demand and some rival clubs will want to spend that 400-500k, but do you think it is in the best interest of CFC to pay someone that much, who is spending time on the pine. This also has a negative influence on the rest of the team, when they look up and see their gun full forward sitting on the bench. What message are we sending out to the rest of the players????

Said it last season - if Fev continues to have the attitude problems then I will have no hestitation trading him - which is why I wouldnt sign him up now. Having said that though, I'm not going to be too critical of him based on today's performance as I havent seen any of the match. The fact that he was dragged on a few occassions would suggest his behaviour wasnt up to scratch though

For those others that are either crucifying or defending him after today - I think its quite important to state whether you actually saw the match either live, or on foxfooty. Its a bit unfair to go over the top in either direction if u havent seen the match

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Saw it on Fox...

He was very frustrated - some blatant holding not paid to him either.

- Igor Stravinsky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:30 pm 
Robert Walls

CarltonClem wrote:
Saw it on Fox...

He was very frustrated - some blatant holding not paid to him either.

I had to rely on net streaming - but even 6PR commentators were surprised he didnt get some frees - that said we shouldnt rely on Fev getting frees to kick goals

Seems we lack 2 things in the forward line atm - someone who can take a pack mark (fisher!) and a good defensive forward so we dont have so many easy rebounds from our half forward line (Betts/setanta needed to step up here)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:55 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Fev isnt worth 500K a year but the inept kicking to him today didnt do him any favours. Wasnt his fault we lost...put Jonothan Brown at CHF and Fev would deliver a lot more goals. The man has to do it on his own and is our only weapon up forward...give him a decent forward structure and then bag him if he doesnt perform....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:08 pm 
Trevor Keogh

for his next contract, pay him the same amount as he's currenly earning now, don't go any higher, he really isn't worth it.
And let's start fully develop fisher and carlos as full forwards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:17 am 
Bruce Doull

Stefchook wrote:
baggerblood wrote:
That said, I find it surprising that he either doesn't get a free in some of those one on ones where he seems to be ripped off the footy. If they are genuine wrestles I'd expect a guy wheighing 102 kilos to keep his feet planted in most situations.

He might benefit from some 'acting' lessons from other key forwards, who highlight any contact and take dives when out of position. We might also benefit from some club 'complaints' about his treatment. It worked to an extent with Sydney and Barry Hall.

I wonder if this is part of Denis' longer-term plan: He's teaching Fev a valuable lesson about the rigours of being a gun forward. If you want to take home the big bikkies, you gotta learn to stand the heat in the kitchen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:32 am 
Bruce Doull

Fev was disappointing yesterday. He just allowed the situation to take over his head.
People are calling for him to be traded or not given a pay rise..blah blah blah..
I actually love watching Fev play footy and if i was Fev id leave. Id go to the Eagles where cousins, Fletcher,Judd, Kerr would hit in lace up on the big ground at Subi... He would kick 120 goals a year and never get frustrated because at the moment we have bananas kicking the ball to him. Unless Fev puts superglue on his boots so when the ball is kicked in to his ankles it will stick he has no hope of marking.
He is crowded by defenders because opposition teams know if you stop Fev theyre half way there. I keep saying it we need a tall packmark CHF who can be a target and take some of the pressure and defenders off Fev.
One of the reasons we were that good in the Wizzer is cos Lance would go running up the ground and help the midfield and defence with timely marks and rebounding footy. He isnt doing this anymore and is static in the forward line so its a crowded mess in there with him and TLo.. Waite etc..

Fev should leave for more $$$$$ and a chance to maximise his potential.

Or we should find a CHF to help him out and another midfielder like a Mitchell Hahn to take the pressure of Stevens who will have his career shortened by being inside all the time. A player like Hahn would free him up to be a finisher or someone who can concentrate on getting the ball to Fev...instead of winning all the clearances and trying to orchestrate sortes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:05 pm 
Garry Crane

Synbad wrote:
Fev should leave for more $$$$$ and a chance to maximise his potential.

Or we should find a CHF to help him out and another midfielder like a Mitchell Hahn

I prefer the idea of Fev staying :wink: