Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Positives
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:18 pm 
Robert Walls

Disappointed with the loss but I think if most people were asked what they expected from the double road trips prior to the start of the season then a draw and a reasonably tight contest where we had our chances would have been more than acceptable

On to the positives
- Wiggins, walker, waite - the normally biased 6PR commentators were actually reasonably positive about these 3 guys
- thornton coming back, playing reasonably well and more importantly coming through the match unscathed
- one week closer to the return of fisher and the debut of blackwell :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:22 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Tbird seemingly got through unscathed.

Wiggo played the best I've seen him play.

Stevo consistantly giving it everything he's got.

Houla looking fit and looking real dangerous out of defense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:33 pm 
Bruce Doull

I know the idea is to talk about the positives from todays match, but....

From what I saw on TV, our taller forwards should have an easier time against a decidedly undersized Hawthorn next week. Should give Lance, Fev (if he's playing) and Archie a bit to work with, not to mention Callum, and T-Lo.

Looking forward to that......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:41 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Look, Waite was close to our BOG - Walker in the 1st half was very good - with his disposal not a problem it has been in the past. Seeing him weight a pass instead of trying to drill it was good to watch. Shows a bit of maturity.

Good to see Walker's goal kicking was up to scratch today - two shots spun perfectly and went dead straight.

- Igor Stravinsky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:50 pm 
Craig Bradley

Agree with many of the earlier posts. Good to see Thornton back. The 3 Ws were all good. Stevens worked hard (but he seems to miss a lot of goals for such a fine kick). Houla was great again (although he disappeared along with the rest of the team in the 2nd quarter).

Tall forwards were disappointing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:23 pm 
Robert Walls

Forgot to mention french as a continued positive - though he looks to have been shaded by longmuir today (based on stats and radio) I think he was more than serviceable. We are definitely better when he is on the ground

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:58 pm 
Craig Bradley

First game I have ever seen Waite play all 4 quarters. He is taking some strong marks where last year he was too easily brushed aside.

Wiggo's contested marks backing into contests - becoming a real Wiggo signature.

Half our interstate trips are accounted for, round 5.

The fact that we could (should) have won a game we would have been totally towelled in (and were last year).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:10 pm 
Craig Bradley

The continued development of Waite

Houlas game

Barnaby

Wiggo's developement, been taking tips from Teague I think.

The fact that we fought it out and were still in with a sniff with a few minutes to go.

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:11 pm 
Bruce Comben

Ponkstar wrote:
First game I have ever seen Waite play all 4 quarters. He is taking some strong marks where last year he was too easily brushed aside.

Wiggo's contested marks backing into contests - becoming a real Wiggo signature.

Half our interstate trips are accounted for, round 5.

The fact that we could (should) have won a game we would h
ave been totally towelled in (and were last year).

yep, Yep and YEP!

Loving Wiggo, Waite and can I say Carrazzo? at the moment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:12 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Houlihan was good today and showed he is one of our best by going forward and scoring some late goals when goals were hard to get. Johnson played well after half time when the pace went off the game, Carazzo battled hard against Farmer and his disposal was ok. Thornton did well in his first game back but ran into Pavlich who was well warmed up after towelling Whitnall and it wasnt easy to curb the Freo star who was fired up after Robert walls comments..even though he denied reading them after the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:20 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Very happy with the way Waite, Wiggins, Walker, Johnson and Carazzo played. Waite seems to have improved a fair bit this season.
Stevens shots for goal today were disappointing but his kicks for goal on the run are his weakness. His kicks to a player and set shots for goal are excellent but he just seems to spray them when he's in the forward 50.
(If you look at his career stats, he's kicked 88 goals and 92 behinds)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:38 pm 
Bert Deacon

Blah, Blah, Blah.

We are supposed to be making small steps forward. After 5 games we have managed just 6 points of which 3 of those teams will struggle to make the 8.
Our marquee player who reckons he is worth a stack of money eye gouged a player today. This is the same bloke that said Heath Scotland was lucky not to get more weeks for what I was considerably a less serious offence than what he faces. This comment was made just before Scotlands appeal.
My only positive is that we play Hawthorn this week. Or is it?
And by the way, the AFL's indecision on the priority will be linked to our club. If we are in a position to get one then kiss it good bye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:15 pm 
Rod McGregor

Your point on the priority pick is irrelevant. Even if they did discard the priority pick it wouldn't happen until 2006. The AFL Commision has already rejected the AFL Executive's recommendation on this anyway and told them to do more work on it.

The way we have started the year there is hope for us getting the PP all by ourselves. We will know more by 10.15pm next Friday when we play the only other team that might challenge for a share of the 2005 PP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:16 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Stefchook wrote:

Tall forwards were disappointing.

They're not really that tall are they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:21 am 
Robert Walls

Think you overreacting just a tad to be suggesting priority picks this early in the season :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:22 am 
Ken Hunter

Positives = We didn't get thrashed. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:28 am 
Craig Bradley

SurreyBlue wrote:
Positives = We didn't get thrashed. :oops:

Not so funny as it sounds actually. We have been a better than good chance to win every game we've played so far. The finishing needs work - when we've got that worked out we'll be flying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:34 am 
Robert Walls

jbee if you don't have anything positive to say try another thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:37 am 
Wayne Johnston

It was simple, kick goals instead of points and we would of won again.

I think this bagging of players and coach on TC and TBV especially is way out of context. Think about it, we were underdgos for this game, a game nobody would of pencilled in as a win at the start of the season, we played the better football, just could not capitilise on the scoreboard.

Wiggins, Waite, Walker are all improving by the week and when we do finally click and kick straight, prepare for a percentage booster.

We are still only two points out of the eight and have two of our interstate trips over with. The team is playing well and cannot be faulted for there efforts to win from where i sit. I has us down for 2 wins by round five.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:40 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Very impressed with Walker

And he is yet to turn 19