Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Lance dilema?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:06 pm 
Wayne Johnston

What's happened to the brilliant form he showed in the Wizzer Cup.

Has the opposition worked him out?

How can we get a positive contribution from him coz 5 games in he hasn't given a yelp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:10 pm 
Bruce Comben

His opponents are wearing him closely whereas in the Wiz Cup he was able to get alot more space. He is contesting hard and I think you just may have forgotten his role in our only win this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:14 pm 
Robert Walls

Hard to say what is the bigger problem - our defence or our forward structure. I'm still of the opinion that our defensive structure, or lack of it with 2 key backs out has contributed significantly to a less potent forward line as the midfield becomes more defense orientated.

Disappointing today but I cant say I've been too happy the past couple of weeks with some of the match ups - kouta on tredrea and whitnall on pavlich to minimis potential damage before the ball is bounced doesnt send the right signals to the team as we are automatically concede a couple of spots on the field (the normal starting position and the position they are put in). I'd much rather have seen norman played their initially and a more daring/offensive minded game plan for both weeks.

Thank god Thornton is back and got through today unscathed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:38 pm 
Craig Bradley

I assume they were worried about Thornton's fitness, coming back from injury. And so they wanted to protect him from the super-fit Pavlich.

I think ideally our best option would be one of our 'utility' types like Bannister or Walker. I guess it's about 'reward' for last week's effort. And once Bannister missed, the match up was always going to be a problem. I guess they're trying to 'protect' Walker as well, being so young in his development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

4thchicken wrote:
Disappointing today but I cant say I've been too happy the past couple of weeks with some of the match ups - kouta on tredrea and whitnall on pavlich to minimis potential damage before the ball is bounced doesnt send the right signals to the team as we are automatically concede a couple of spots on the field (the normal starting position and the position they are put in). I'd much rather have seen norman played their initially and a more daring/offensive minded game plan for both weeks.

Couldn't have put it better myself. What was Denis thinking today with Big Red, why didn't TBird(or Norman) start on him, at least they'd have a chance running with him :shock:

Ronald Reagan

Last edited by killpies on Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:11 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Credit to him that he is fitter but the wizzer cup doesnt have the same intensity and delivering the ball to him was easier. Lance doesnt take many overheads so he needs it lace out and the way the games are working out thats not possible all the time unlike the wizzer cup where he ahd more space to work in.
Playing him on the more mobile Pavlich was suicide and I was glad to see him back up forward...games are won by kicking goals and he needs to start forward especially when we play crap defensive units like Freo.
Whitnall will improve when Fisher returns or we get another target up forward...Troy Longmuir isnt that player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:04 am 
Craig Bradley

The other thing is that Fev is not causing any headaches either. If the main forward is being held, the others are less stressed about getting there to support the main fullback, meaning they are more attentive to their men.

Nonetheless there were plenty of 1 on 1 contests there for both Lance and Fev today - a top forward would mark or control the ball in at least 4 out of every 10 of such contests. Their success rate was considerably lower than that today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:05 am 
Stephen Kernahan

killpies wrote:
What was Denis think today with Big Red, why didn't TBird(or Norman) start on him, at least they'd have a chance punning with him :shock:

I've never really seen TBird or Karl as pommy tabloid sub editors, but perhaps they could have come up with some puns along these lines...*

AFL SHOCK - LANCE NOWHERE NEAR PAV
LESS THAN PAV-ERAGE
SLEEPLESS KNIGHTS - DOCKERS REMOVE LANCE

Damn it's actually harder than you think. Don't know how those subbies at The Sun come up with them.

* Want to make it clear that I'm not bagging lance, just saying that Pav gave him his just desserts, it was no trifling matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:08 am 
Geoff Southby

bluehammer wrote:
killpies wrote:
What was Denis think today with Big Red, why didn't TBird(or Norman) start on him, at least they'd have a chance punning with him :shock:

I've never really seen TBird or Karl as pommy tabloid sub editors, but perhaps they could have come up with some puns along these lines...*

AFL SHOCK - LANCE NOWHERE NEAR PAV
LESS THAN PAV-ERAGE
SLEEPLESS KNIGHTS - DOCKERS REMOVE LANCE

Damn it's actually harder than you think. Don't know how those subbies at The Sun come up with them.

* Want to make it clear that I'm not bagging lance, just saying that Pav gave him his just desserts, it was no trifling matter.

Yeah I know, check typing before posting :oops:

Ronald Reagan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:35 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Yep... matchups... setups.....

They've got to get Deluca out of there clogging space. Lance/Waite CHF together (or dropping back), and space for Fev. Walker, Betts, Davies (who'll probably be dropped though) there to take some grabs and fall-of-the ball. And T-bone as the dummy leader/mark.

Give T-bone time. He can take a good grab. 2nd game for a new club.... he's bound to make a few mistakes. T-BONE!!!!

Deluca + Fev + Whitnall........ won't work.

We just have to move it quicker, and get quick players moving around the area to draw away the spare men they drop back in front of Fev.

There's only so much you can do as Full-forward. You can't control the area 30 metres in front of you... you rely on the other players there to do that. If DeLuca's standing in it... well..... that's not smart set-ups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:49 pm 
Robert Walls

The Tyrant wrote:

They've got to get Deluca out of there clogging space. Lance/Waite CHF together (or dropping back), and space for Fev. Walker, Betts, Davies (who'll probably be dropped though) there to take some grabs and fall-of-the ball. And T-bone as the dummy leader/mark.

Give T-bone time. He can take a good grab. 2nd game for a new club.... he's bound to make a few mistakes. T-BONE!!!!

We just have to move it quicker, and get quick players moving around the area to draw away the spare men they drop back in front of Fev.

agree - that Fev, Deluca, whitnall forward setup wont work. Unless deluca can really develop his ruck skills I cant see him as a long term option in the team (I'd have fisher instead)

There's only so much you can do as Full-forward. You can't control the area 30 metres in front of you... you rely on the other players there to do that. If DeLuca's standing in it... well..... that's not smart set-ups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:28 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

4thchicken wrote:
The Tyrant wrote:

agree - that Fev, Deluca, whitnall forward setup wont work. Unless deluca can really develop his ruck skills I cant see him as a long term option in the team (I'd have fisher instead)

Your silence is approval enough, 4th Chick..... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:08 am 
Bruce Doull

4thchicken wrote:
The Tyrant wrote:

I know imitation is the most sincere for of flattery, but did you need to leave it in the quote box?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:08 am 
Harry Vallence

[quote="The Tyrant"]

Firstly with reagrds to T- Bone, well i agree he needs to be given time, but i would much rather see him going back to the twos and build his confidence, rather than giving him time to build confidence in the ones. I don't see him as the type of player who demands and commands a spot in the firsts based on reputation. He is a confidence type player so let him build on his confidence. However if Fev is out this week he must stay in .

For your second comment Re : Deluca-Fev-Whitnall i totally agree !!!

And this is why i really think we will win this week, especially if Fev gets rubbed out . Whitnall goes to the square, Archie plays at CHF, Longmuir plays the leading target and Davies (Betts if included ) pick up the crumbs.

We have a list that is capable of September action, its just that the tinkering needs to be perfected. Give Pagan and co time and i'm sure we'll improve as the season goes on.

Early days yet !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:40 pm 
Robert Walls

bleh :oops:

there was a reply that was supposed to be there - basically totally agree that we cant run a Fev/mance/deluca forward line. For mine, de luca doesnt do enough as a forward and unless he really steps up as a ruckman, I cant see him in our long term plans (rather have fisher/setanta)

Based on our current list I'd run
HF - Fisher, Whitnall, Setanta/Waite interchanging
FF - T. Longmuir, Fev, Betts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:03 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

You need a balance up forward which includes two players who can crumb it..for mine Lappin should play forward every week.
and along with Eddie Betts would give us some golasneak ability when the ball hits the deck.

HF Lappin Whitnall Fisher
F Sentanta/Deluca Fevola Betts

I have bracketed Carlos and Deluca in the pocket as I think along with Whitnall I would rotate them all depending on opposing setups and conditions.....Sentanta gives us bash/crash vareiety and while his skills are untested at senior level I think the variety he offers us when he gets promoted will make a lot of difference and not just to the forward line...

re: Troy Longmuir...not knocking him...he takes a good contested mark in the one on ones but for me Fisher is more likey to grab it in a big pack and under pressure and is a stronger player....I view Longmuir as a handy backup in case of injury.

re: Jarrod Waite...less keen on Waite down forward and more keen to try him down back and as others have said maybe CHB could be a good place to test him out...we need another alternative defender with size and I think Waite could be worth a try down back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:08 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Lance started on Pavlich and got run around a bit. Then he moved forward. He is a father-son pick and used to be heavier than he is now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:11 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Captain Obvious' Disciple wrote:
Lance started on Pavlich and got run around a bit. Then he moved forward. He is a father-son pick and used to be heavier than he is now.

This gimmick's getting old quickly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

Tractor Boy wrote:
We have a list that is capable of September action, its just that the tinkering needs to be perfected. Give Pagan and co time and i'm sure we'll improve as the season goes on.

This is why so many of us a disappointed with the start to the season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:17 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

budzy wrote:
Captain Obvious' Disciple wrote:

This gimmick's getting old quickly

Budzy thinks that this gimmick is getting old quickly